Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #7,906 of 40,582
Just some thoughts on Zeus. For starters, due to the neutral quantity of its bass and lower treble tuning, Zeus is dependent on the cable for its warmth and naturalness. However, both the BTG and Whiplash SPC cables that Zeus has been delivered with so far sound clear, but cold. As a result, Zeus can give off an impression of being bright, cold, or 'reference', although I don't think that was the intention behind its design. Especially since Zeus has an impressive midrange, that loses some of its body with a cooler cable. When paired correctly, Zeus sounds warmer, full-bodied, and more natural. Personally, I would recommend a pure copper cable like PW Audio No. 5 or HanSound Audio Zen. They're affordable, and provide a nice balance between timbre and performance. For Zeus ADEL I would especially recommend the plusSound gold-plated copper as it adds body besides warmth; or the PW Audio 1960 2-wire for warmth and smoothness. However, these cables go up significantly in price.

When it comes to Vega vs. Zeus, Zeus-XIV has a more forward and bodied midrange when it comes to vocals. However, as a result of Vega's enhanced (upper) bass, Vega creates a thicker instrument presentation, and accordingly, overall fuller sound, although its vocal presentation is relatively more laidback. But of course, there's no question its sub-bass is more impressive in terms of quantity. Zeus on the other hand creates a larger stage, with greater resolution and transparency.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #7,907 of 40,582
I might join you soon. Thinking about giving XR a try, so planning to send XRA back for a re-shell. I went from R to XRA, and now curious about XR.
Oh my... I was told I have a package waiting for me at home. Just like a kid at Christmas.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7,908 of 40,582
Nic, did you try the Zeus with the Truth copper?
I know it's not pure copper but I thought it might have a nice sound.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #7,910 of 40,582
Oh my... I was told I have a package waiting for me at home. Just like a kid at Christmas.
Now...what could it be? :thinking:
c3578db4502cd7d7186ad80789484eb4.jpg

Hope you won't be disappointed :wink:

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #7,911 of 40,582
damn , looks like darth didn't get a discount on that death star and ended up with a football instead - probably this is why he became a Jedi hater :dt880smile:

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #7,912 of 40,582
Just some thoughts on Zeus. For starters, due to the neutral quantity of its bass and lower treble tuning, Zeus is dependent on the cable for its warmth and naturalness. However, both the BTG and Whiplash SPC cables that Zeus has been delivered with so far sound clear, but cold. As a result, Zeus can give off an impression of being bright, cold, or 'reference', although I don't think that was the intention behind its design. Especially since Zeus has an impressive midrange, that loses some of its body with a cooler cable. When paired correctly, Zeus sounds warmer, full-bodied, and more natural. Personally, I would recommend a pure copper cable like PW Audio No. 5 or HanSound Audio Zen. They're affordable, and provide a nice balance between timbre and performance. For Zeus ADEL I would especially recommend the plusSound gold-plated copper as it adds body besides warmth; or the PW Audio 1960 2-wire for warmth and smoothness. However, these cables go up significantly in price.

Im based in London so decided to go for toxic cable's silver widow 22 which is a silver with gold cable. Personally felt it transformed the Zeus RA in exactly the way you've described. Not cheap but not overly expensive either. Will hopefully get a chance to try a few more cables ar canjam but very happy with what I have now

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #7,914 of 40,582
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #7,915 of 40,582
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #7,916 of 40,582
Congrats, man!

How much do those stick out of your ear? They look huge!

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #7,918 of 40,582
Initial impressions vs. XRA are positive for me..I have found with the Zeus I steer away from my go to wide bore JVC Spiral Dot tips and use the narrow bore Final Audio. Also, I am using the RSD Golden mk3 cable, it is silver plated copper, but it is pairing very nice.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #7,919 of 40,582
Oh, that's not bad at all. Awesome.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #7,920 of 40,582

That looks good!, definitely slimmer than XRA. Is this Dean's new optimized shell? Btw, what tips are you using? I noticed some ridges outside of the core under the cap. And, with a cable, does the connector goes all the way in or you just have it in the picture half away out?

....replied but didn't hit send for awhile, but now see you answered some of the questions about :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back