Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 28, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #7,891 of 40,587
Jun 28, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #7,892 of 40,587
Contact/email Jack or DJ, they will take care of you!

I pmed Jack just a few mins ago and waiting for a response or is it better to email him? In you're opinion do you think it's a crack? And is it covered under warranty?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #7,893 of 40,587
I pmed Jack just a few mins ago and waiting for a response or is it better to email him? In you're opinion do you think it's a crack? And is it covered under warranty?
Well, it is 4am where Jack is right now, so give him some time to respond...

Touch the area, if it feels like a crack, it's a crack. If you can't feel it but looks like a crack, it may be a crack, from the pictures posted (not 100% conclusive). Talk to Jack/DJ about it - they will make sure you are happy. You should email DJ as well just in case since you PMed Jack already.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #7,894 of 40,587
Well, it is 4am where Jack is right now, so give him some time to respond...

Touch the area, if it feels like a crack, it's a crack. If you can't feel it but looks like a crack, it may be a crack, from the pictures posted (not 100% conclusive). Talk to Jack or DJ about it - they will make sure you are happy. You should email DJ as well just in case since you PMed Jack already.

Thank you, I am just super worried about this issue because the Athena was expensive to me, escpically someone who works a part time job and in college. :frowning2:

Hope I can get it fixed

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #7,895 of 40,587
Thank you, I am just super worried about this issue because the Athena was expensive to me :frowning2:

Hope I can get it fixed
With Empire Ears, no need to worry. Their customer service is bar-none. Take a deep breath, and relax - they've got you covered, I'm sure (I can't say that about a lot of companies out there!)

Have a good day/night - time for me to get some sleep!

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #7,896 of 40,587
Have a goodnight. I am from the US but I am in vacation in a different country lol.

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #7,897 of 40,587
well new impressions are on the way to EE HQ , hopefully zeus is with me probably late July

fingers crossed

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #7,898 of 40,587
Finally had the opportunity to audition the Zeus XRA. Honestly, I am very impressed.
It does imaging, transparency, soundstage and layering extremely well. I would say this is the most technically accurate and proficient IEM on the market right now.

I was initially skeptical because I saw many complaints of the bass impact to be not good. I thought the bass was pretty good too. Sure it can use a little more impact but I could hear every bass note and frequency.

XIV was definitely more musical. XR was neutral and lifeless for my tastes. I assume it's just very reference.

I tried the IEM with silver and copper effect audio cables in balanced mode out of a DX200.
Silver was just too bright for me. Copper is the way to go imo.

I am not a big fan of the Zeus sound signature but I was blown away by the technical aspects of the Zeus.

Did anyone do an A-B comparison between the ZEUS XRA and Campfire Vega yet???

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #7,899 of 40,587
Did anyone do an A-B comparison between the ZEUS XRA and Campfire Vega yet???
This is from memory and my personal opinion:
Zeus bass is much less than Vega in quantity. Vega bass hits hard but being dynamic feels slower and heavier. Zeus bass slams pretty hard too but it's faster and tighter.
Mids are often overwhelmed by the bass in the Vega. Zeus R mids feel very sterile. Zeus XIV mids are what I really liked.
Vega is somewhat sibilant. Zeus is more sibilant. I am very sensitive to sibilance so do take that into account. Zeus has very clear Treble but quantity is way too much for me.
Soundstage and Imaging wise Zeus trumps Vega in my opinion.
Both Zeus and Vega are not airy enough for me.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #7,900 of 40,587
This is from memory and my personal opinion:
Zeus bass is much less than Vega in quantity. Vega bass hits hard but being dynamic feels slower and heavier. Zeus bass slams pretty hard too but it's faster and tighter.
Mids are often overwhelmed by the bass in the Vega. Zeus R mids feel very sterile. Zeus XIV mids are what I really liked.
Vega is somewhat sibilant. Zeus is more sibilant. I am very sensitive to sibilance so do take that into account. Zeus has very clear Treble but quantity is way too much for me.
Soundstage and Imaging wise Zeus trumps Vega in my opinion.
Both Zeus and Vega are not airy enough for me.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that the custom Zeus-XR is much more bodied, natural-sounding, and less shrill and sparkly in the treble than the universal/demo, especially the XRA. I demoed the XRA against my custom XR at Music Sanctuary and the XRA sounded painfully sibilant, thin, and shrill in comparison (despite somewhat of an increase in perceived clarity due to the extra brightness).

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #7,902 of 40,587
I had my XRA reshelled for XR I am waiting for them to be returned to me so I can post some comments.

Hmm.. that's really interesting. I don't think anyone apart from @NaiveSound has tried both the custom XR and the custom XRA. I'm eager to hear your impressions.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #7,903 of 40,587
@tunes - I have a custom Zeus-XR and the Vega in my collection at the moment. Pretty backed up with other loaner items I need to do reviews on before sending back, but should be able to get some A/B comparisons over the weekend.

Not finding the custom Zeus thin or shrill (they are pretty special), but pretty much everything else I have heard sounds thinner than the Vega, so comparatively they will be lighter in body and note weight, and a lot lighter in bass.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #7,904 of 40,587
Hmm.. that's really interesting. I don't think anyone apart from @NaiveSound has tried both the custom XR and the custom XRA. I'm eager to hear your impressions.
Nope these are universal. I just wanted to eliminate the Adel. I love Adel & Apex for 64 Audio but definitely wanted to enjoy the Zeus XR without Adel.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #7,905 of 40,587
Nope these are universal. I just wanted to eliminate the Adel. I love Adel & Apex for 64 Audio but definitely wanted to enjoy the Zeus XR without Adel.

I might join you soon. Thinking about giving XR a try, so planning to send XRA back for a re-shell. I went from R to XRA, and now curious about XR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back