Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #7,862 of 40,613
now
That's what I am trying to establish a baseline for - pretty sure the QP2R qualifies as a high end source, so is that subtle, almost placebo (as mentioned in the Mojo comment above) difference in sound what Empire intend to be the "norm" , or is there meant to be a wider swing a la the AK70 noted above. Annoyingly, my second hand AK70 crapped out on me a week before the Zeus arrived, so don't have a chance to go head to head with the QP2R to see.

@Jack Vang - in between burning more of that midnight oil on your upcoming models, care to put us out of our misery and weigh in on how much (subjectively) the XIV and R signatures are intended to differ? :wink:

I have a poor seal with my left and I can tell a difference flipping the switch, I'm mostly using Mojo with Flac CD rips. Mine are going back now, hopefully i'll get them back soon I can tell these are sick IEMs even with a poor seal. Right away I notice more forward mids on the XIV, much prefer XIV right now. It isn't a subtle difference either, it's quite noticeable to my ears. Try flipping both switches at the same time and not touching the IEM body while doing it as doing so can cause microphonics that prevent you from hearing the switch in action.

I now notice a major difference in between the R and XIV settings, both being awesome in different ways for different tracks.

I understand now what you are raving about with the XR non ADEL, you were right my friend.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #7,863 of 40,613
now

I have a poor seal with my left and I can tell a difference flipping the switch, I'm mostly using Mojo with Flac CD rips. Mine are going back now, hopefully i'll get them back soon I can tell these are sick IEMs even with a poor seal. Right away I notice more forward mids on the XIV, much prefer XIV right now. It isn't a subtle difference either, it's quite noticeable to my ears. Try flipping both switches at the same time and not touching the IEM body while doing it as doing so can cause microphonics that prevent you from hearing the switch in action.

I understand now what you are raving about with the XR non ADEL, you were right my friend.

Hmmm... that's really interesting. I'll test the pairing again with the new Effect Audio Lionheart cable I got for my XR and see if there's a larger difference. Thanks for the post though, hope you'll get your XR's back soon!

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #7,864 of 40,613
That's what I am trying to establish a baseline for - pretty sure the QP2R qualifies as a high end source, so is that subtle, almost placebo (as mentioned in the Mojo comment above) difference in sound what Empire intend to be the "norm" , or is there meant to be a wider swing a la the AK70 noted above. Annoyingly, my second hand AK70 crapped out on me a week before the Zeus arrived, so don't have a chance to go head to head with the QP2R to see.

@Jack Vang - in between burning more of that midnight oil on your upcoming models, care to put us out of our misery and weigh in on how much (subjectively) the XIV and R signatures are intended to differ? :wink:

Generally speaking, XIV is more mid-centric with more bottom end whereas the R is flatter with more top end extension.

now

I'll get you squared away ASAP

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #7,865 of 40,613
Who's going to London?!

This-Guy-Jim-Halpert-The-Office.gif

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #7,866 of 40,613
Sadly, looks like I'm not going to canjam this time round. Maybe next year if I get more organized (ha!).

Went to get my ears cleaned out the other day up at the doctors. That wasn't fun either! Nurse didn't have the right bits for the machine, used tepid water and managed to give my hair a soaking as well. To add insult to injury didn't manage to get all the wax either so got to go back in a couple of weeks time (away next week, yay!) and try again. This means I still have at least a fortnight back at work where I still can't use iems to block the office drivel out as well :frowning2:

Hope you all have a good time at Canjam.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #7,867 of 40,613
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #7,868 of 40,613
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #7,869 of 40,613
I wouldn't either if I lived there. :slight_smile:

Hope to see you at CanJam London in a few weeks! :man_dancing:(imagine a dark skinned Disco Stu)

For me personally, I'm already counting days to CanJam NYC next year, whenever that will be announced :wink:

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #7,871 of 40,613
For me personally, I'm already counting days to CanJam NYC next year, whenever that will be announced :wink:
Looking forward to seeing you there as well - this time, for two days! :wink: :flag_um:

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #7,874 of 40,613
I'm expecting to see lots and lots of photos from the event. If there aren't, I'm going to be sad.

You are not going to CJ London? I usually look forward to YOUR photos from the event :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back