Denon AH-7200
Jun 24, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #1,051 of 3,156
========

The Beyer Balanced Cable has arrived, and a first impression confirms, what one would - hopefully !! expect: Balanced connection gives you this extra touch of transparency, or air between instruments.

Whether this is actually due to the cable & plug materials I don’t dare to comment; I understand this is more likely due to the improved electrical quality of the balanced signal, the amplifier respectively.

Does this cable lift the D7200 to a totally new level :wink: :wink: of performance ? Well not really, just more and better of those qualities that are already quite good…

My amp is the MalValve Head Amp Three, alternatively I may cross-check with the Audiovalve Solaris (both are tube amps, BTW.)

++ Regarding the “proprietary Beyer” connections of the 3.5 mm jacks: they fit perfectly well….

Regards

Urs

In my case with my home made cable (neotech copper wire is one of the highest quality on the market) rhe biggest difference is made by the balanced connection.

I have violectric v281... Going balanced it is doubled the mumber o used transistor...

Any tried headphone with this amp get a good improvement going balanced.

Stock cable of d7200 is quite a good cable ... But unbalanced...

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,053 of 3,156
I kind of have a love-hate relationship with Massdrop and noticed that they'll be re-releasing the Sennheiser HD 6xx for $250 this Monday but at a delivery date of December.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

Anybody have any wise words to keep me from trying to get these considering we already have the Denon ahd 7200s?

It is a good price, but you can get actual HD650 for $300-ish on amazon with next day delivery. I don't know what Massdrop cuts on the 650s to get to that price, but 20% discount is not something too exciting to justify 6-month lead time.

As for your other question, I don't think you need it, unless you want to get even better soundstage (due to open design) while sacrificing that juicy punchy sub-bass from 7200s. Keep in mind that 650s need some serious amplification to really open-up, so unless you already have something, you'll end up investing into a better amp at some point later to drive them.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,054 of 3,156
I'm using dekoni TH900 sheepskin that provides excellent comfort and sweat proof.

I'm currently testing the ZMF Ori pads on the D7200 and they're doing some good job widening the soundstage, I'll try the Dekoni TH900 pads and see how it compares.
Have you tried the Dekoni yet?
They are less expensive than Lawton pads,
But still more expensive the Ori pads and look less plush.

The original pads are good enough, until I get my hands on the fenestrated sheepskin from Dekoni
let us know what you think.
I am thinking leaner sub-bass due to looser fit.

Actually, have you heard the Eikon pads vs the Ori pads? Based on dimensions (4 mm more shallow than Ori and slightly larger opening), I might want to try the Eikon pads with my Staxen.
The Eikon pads have the rear opening too large so they dont grab securely on the plastic ring.
They are a very loose fit and slip off.
When Eikon pads are placed exactly, the sound is distant and loss of detail energy in mids, plus loss of upper bass.

Best pads to use are pads that fit correctly.

I find piano and vocals sometimes a little bit too much in the face
That is the forward mids.
Ori pads place mids a bit more neutral in space and Soundstage benifits without any loss of energy.

I think the fit is not the same .. the Ori Pads are compatible with 900 ,, the Eikon are larger..
Correct the Eikon pads do not fit well as they slip off.

@Maxx134 how do those zmf's compare to the denons? Do you think it the zmf's are worth in comparison to the denons, considering the denons can be found for much cheaper?
It depends what your looking for..
The ZMF have larger Soundstage and well balanced signature with large spacious bass,

While Dennon have a forward detailed sound from the mids with nice defined bass.

Haven't had time for much comparison now that my need for closed cans has diminished ,
so I gravitate more to my HEKV2 lately..
Which I prefer over HD800 and Utopia.

Hey guys, so the Dekoni pads are back on sale on Massdrop. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-fostex-th-x00
Found them cheaper on eBay with option to make your own offer:
eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/222547202107

Yet it already noted not as optimal as Ori pads as it fit a bit loose.
Looser pads usually equals less bass seal and sub-bass impact.
Yet it may not be an issue so need opinions

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #1,055 of 3,156
Does anyone know if you can use cables built for the Focal Elear with these headphones? I have read that they both use the same connector type but the Elear uses both "rings" and the Denon only one. Would the second ring just be ignored and not interfere with the sound?

Cheers
X

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,056 of 3,156
3.5mm TRS fpr denon has to be connected T = + (Left+ or Right+ ) and S is the ground or -Left and -Right if balanced

sheld is not connected ...

whit a tester check if Focal cable R is connected to something ... i do tink so ...

on hifiman 2.5mm jack the use TRA but R is unconnected

for my D7200 i use Oyaide TRA with unconnected R

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #1,057 of 3,156
Does anyone know if you can use cables built for the Focal Elear with these headphones? I have read that they both use the same connector type but the Elear uses both "rings" and the Denon only one. Would the second ring just be ignored and not interfere with the sound?

Cheers
X
when i had the the Elear , i tried its cable on the denon 7200 .. it was working fine (not sure if polarity inverted)
but i didn't like the sound ,, bass was boomy , and i lost a lot of details ..

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,058 of 3,156
when i had the the Elear , i tried its cable on the denon 7200 .. it was working fine (not sure if polarity inverted)
but i didn't like the sound ,, bass was boomy , and i lost a lot of details ..

Interesting to hear but if it was that bad it sounds like the polarity was inverted.

I am due to have my 7200 delivered in the next few days.

I am interested in any comparisons with the Elear (which I am yet to hear) of course I know the Elear is not closed so the comparisons is lopsided but it would be good to hear anyway?

BTW what are the benefits of changing the cable other than for length and balanced?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,059 of 3,156
That is the forward mids.
Haven't had time for much comparison now that my need for closed cans has diminished ,
so I gravitate more to my HEKV2 lately..
Which I prefer over HD800 and Utopia.

re the mids, after some more burn-in the somewhat eccessive presence has largely disappeared (just showing up now very rarely and with very specific recs), so most probably this was just due to a just-not-enough burnin

also found it interesting your "gravitation" :slight_smile: I used to have HEKv1 as my preferred cans until I bought Utopia last nov. Utopia quickly become my preferred cans, much better in every respect.

then the HEKv2 appeared in my home. I basically never succeded in loving these cans.....

and a couple of weeks ago the Denon showed up on my head. since then I realized that most of my listening time has been with the Denon, and the rest with Utopia. I can clearly hear that Utopia are much better technically speaking, but these jap cans are simply too fun to listen to :L3000::L3000:

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #1,060 of 3,156
the somewhat eccessive presence has largely disappeared
I agree and personally believe this is due to the "springy" surround breaking in,
As the actual driver diaphragm is highly stiff.

since then I realized that most of my listening time has been with the Denon, and the rest with Utopia. I can clearly hear that Utopia are much better technically speaking, but these jap cans are simply too fun to listen to :L3000::L3000:
The Dennon and Utopia share many similarities...

Here is Utopia side-by-side with my experimental test Dennon 7200 running off the Woo Waa33 :
20170610_132343.jpg

The point is, these Dennon really climb with powerfull amps.
:)

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,061 of 3,156
Interesting to hear but if it was that bad it sounds like the polarity was inverted.

I am interested in any comparisons with the Elear (which I am yet to hear) of course I know the Elear is not closed so the comparisons is lopsided but it would be good to hear anyway?

BTW what are the benefits of changing the cable other than for length and balanced?
the tone of the Elear is very very good , no colorization ,, i liked it very much ,, but that's it ,
any other thing the 7200 beat it easily , mainly comfort & bass & sound stage , then imaging & dynamic & control
also the Elear had a problem with high bass/ volume , it click and distort like cheep headphones ,
which was my main reason for selling , i would not recommend it to any body ..

Regarding benefits of changing the cable, is as you said + enhance the sound
for example when i had the LCD-X , i bought the Wywires Red cable which gave more details ,
enhanced the presence area (audeze is famous of lacking) & it was day and night change ,
i could not enjoy my audeze without that cable after trying it ..

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,062 of 3,156
The Dennon and Utopia share many similarities...
The point is, these Dennon really climb with powerfull amps.
:)

can't agree more :L3000:
and, would also add that these Denon scale incredibly well with the quality of the amp :L3000:
going from a good Taurus to an excellent custom 300B let these jap cans fly
20170627_201949.jpg

and my new 2A3 amplifier will be even better (still not at my home unfortunately...)
image1.JPG

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #1,063 of 3,156

Changing cable remaining umbalanced gives a very little step up ... The stock cable is quite good.

Going balanced will give you instead a good improvement.

On violectric v281 using balanced output it is a good improvement. So using a balanced cable can be useful

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #1,064 of 3,156
Guys, I just got my 7200 and was expecting that I could unscrew the larger 6.3mm plug to reveal the smaller 3.5mm plug like the Beyer T1.2 etc. or at least I expected an adapter in the box? Am I missing something?

If not, as it is a low impedance headphone What are Denon thinking and why such long cables in this day and age when most us don't need long cables?

Any good adapter recommended or better still any short decent cables at reasonable prices?

I intend to use the 7200 mainly with a DAP.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #1,065 of 3,156
There is no adapter in the box, and that has ben pointed out in several reviews already. I don't know why they didn't include one. But you'd be better with a different cable for portable use anyway - stock cable is way too long and heavy. You can order a custom one from customcans.co.uk (pretty expensive, but very good quality) or just look for 3rd party replacement cables for T1/T5p Gen.2 on Amazon - they are compatible with 7200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back