Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,336 of 14,511
You don't want to know because the best tubes I'll be recommending will be expensive.

However, there are less expensive options. Just get a RCA 6as7g and a Tung Sol 6sn7gtb 1960s black base. They shouldn't cost that much.

These are the Tung Sol drivers

and the RCA power tubes

Thanks, ill look at those. I wont be buying hyper expensive tubes for it any time soon, but i may in the future. What are your more higher end recommendations?

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,338 of 14,511
Howdy folks. Been lurking these forums for a while now, and now that I have some hardware coming my way, I figured I should touch base with the experts! :relaxed:

I've got a used pair of HD 650s shipping to my house, and should be here in a couple weeks. I also am strongly considering picking up a preowned Massdrop Darkvoice 336SE OTL, which a coworker wants to sell to me for ~$100.

After reading through this thread, it appears that this combination is fairly common, with room for improvement. This will be my first tube amp, so I am flying blind, and could use all the help I can get.

My music preferred genres include Jazz, Early Country (Johnny Cash, John Denver), Bluegrass (Steve n' Seagulls), Reggae (Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals), 70's-80's Rock, modern Alt Rock (Phoenix, Hippo Campus), and deep EDM. As of late, I've been bingeing on Drum N' Bass, and some pre-2008 era dubstep. ((I am sorry, that's probably as clear as mud..))
My preferred sound signature is extended bass, punchy mid-bass, and clear, crisp highs. A audio nerd friend of mine once described it as "the stereotypical Bose sound signature". I don't like the mids to be super in-your-face, but I don't like them to be scooped hard either ((I hope this makes sense))

I am super intrigued with tube rolling, and would be interested and getting some recommendations for some replacement tubes to explore. I am willing to spend up to $125 to try out some "new" tubes, and I would be willing to experiment a bit, if you all think that would be a good idea.

I am all ears, and open to suggestions! :smiley:

EDIT: I've been eyeballing the Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome top, as they appear to be fairly inexpensive on ebay land, and they appear to favor the add to the lows and highs (according to the reviews that I have read so far). Does this sound like a good suggestion? And will I need an adapter for it?

Also, what would be a good tube to replace the 6N5PJ tube? I've seen the 6AS7G Chatham mentioned a few times, but I can't find a lot of information about it.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,339 of 14,511
Howdy folks. Been lurking these forums for a while now, and now that I have some hardware coming my way, I figured I should touch base with the experts! :relaxed:

I've got a used pair of HD 650s shipping to my house, and should be here in a couple weeks. I also am strongly considering picking up a preowned Massdrop Darkvoice 336SE OTL, which a coworker wants to sell to me for ~$100.

After reading through this thread, it appears that this combination is fairly common, with room for improvement. This will be my first tube amp, so I am flying blind, and could use all the help I can get.

My music preferred genres include Jazz, Early Country (Johnny Cash, John Denver), Bluegrass (Steve n' Seagulls), Reggae (Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals), 70's-80's Rock, modern Alt Rock (Phoenix, Hippo Campus), and deep EDM. As of late, I've been bingeing on Drum N' Bass, and some pre-2008 era dubstep. ((I am sorry, that's probably as clear as mud..))
My preferred sound signature is extended bass, punchy mid-bass, and clear, crisp highs. A audio nerd friend of mine once described it as "the stereotypical Bose sound signature". I don't like the mids to be super in-your-face, but I don't like them to be scooped hard either ((I hope this makes sense))

I am super intrigued with tube rolling, and would be interested and getting some recommendations for some replacement tubes to explore. I am willing to spend up to $125 to try out some "new" tubes, and I would be willing to experiment a bit, if you all think that would be a good idea.

I am all ears, and open to suggestions! :smiley:

EDIT: I've been eyeballing the Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome top, as they appear to be fairly inexpensive on ebay land, and they appear to favor the add to the lows and highs (according to the reviews that I have read so far). Does this sound like a good suggestion? And will I need an adapter for it?

Also, what would be a good tube to replace the 6N5PJ tube? I've seen the 6AS7G Chatham mentioned a few times, but I can't find a lot of information about it.

HD650 and DV336se.
Same to me.
I upgrade these :
RCA cable : silver plated of furutech(Alpha design lab ADL-i35R)
Headphone wire : 7N copper wire diy, 300 threads in each core, for hd650.
Tubes: JAN- CTL-5998 tungsol for output tube.
JAN-CHS-6SN7GT shylavian for input tube.
I jugde effective of each updrade :
Hp wire 40% : much improve detail for hd650, bass fuller and deeper
Tubes 30% : much much more clairy than stock tubes
Rca cable 30%: improve clarity, detail. Treble is crytial clear.

Find a updrage tube with $125 is not easy, I think. Output tube usually 150 on Ebay.
$125 is for input tube enough
20170709_192043.jpg

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #1,340 of 14,511
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #1,349 of 14,511
My Raytheon 6sn7gt vt231 black glass is unique. It could be a National Union 6sn7gt vt231 equivalent rather than the actual Raytheon 6sn7gt vt231.

Here's a picture of it with Gec 6as7g. It's a lovely sounding combination.

20170622_202625.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back