DAP Purchase Advice
Jul 25, 2017 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vulpes

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody, need some advice on buying a DAP that is powerful enough to drive my Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 ohms) solo (might buy a dedicated amp later). Preferred sound signature: A good balance of detail and musicality. Would also prefer buying from a company that stands behind its products (software updates, customer support, warranty and repairs). Budget: Below 300 pounds.

Currently considering these DAPs:
1) IBasso DX80
2) Fiio X5 3rd Generation
3) Cayin N3
4) Shanling M2S
5) Fiio X3 3rd Generation (Upcoming)

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 3
Hey everybody, need some advice on buying a DAP that is powerful enough to drive my Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 ohms) solo (might buy a dedicated amp later). Preferred sound signature: A good balance of detail and musicality. Would also prefer buying from a company that stands behind its products (software updates, customer support, warranty and repairs). Budget: Below 300 pounds.

Currently considering these DAPs:
1) IBasso DX80
2) Fiio X5 3rd Generation
3) Cayin N3
4) Shanling M2S
5) Fiio X3 3rd Generation (Upcoming)

Thanks.

The IBasso and the Fiio X5 III overcome your budget of 300 punds.
I'm in the same situation (i've the upcoming Sony A40 in the list too). I think i'll be waiting at least the release of the new Fiio X3: The balanced output should be a way-to-go if Fiio will be more accurate about the software stability and functionality.

About the Cayin N3 i've surely read, on this forum, the best things: great customer care, the best price/hardware/SQ.

The Shanling is very cool and i personally really like its look, but i've read something about the high impedance output ( > 4 ohms vs the 1 ohm or less of the Cayin) that make me changed my mind about that.

Still more excited about the new A40 by Sony: it will be with USB-C vs the Sony plug of the A35 and will have Apt-x Bluetooth with the already implemented LDAC Sony codec, for a wider choice of BT headphones/IEMs to drive with.
Last but not least the 3x better battery of the Sony respect of the other DAPs in list.

Fredi

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back