DAC and AMP for HD650
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JNin

New Head-Fier
So I'm going to buy the Sennheiser HD650's soon, what amp and DAC would make the best combo together? My budget is around 200€/$ for each, I do NOT want a DAC/amp combo. I want to buy them separately. My pick now for the DAC is the DACmagic100 by Cambridge Audio, I've heard it's good for the money but will it do it's best with the HD650's? And if that would be the case, what would be a good amp (for 200€/$) with them? The audio output doesn't have to be more than CD quality.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 10
Amps in the 200$ range. There are the same candidates that get listed often
- o2
- Meier-Audio Corda Rock
- Schiit Magni or Vali
Since the HD650 is on the "warmer" side of the spectrum, most of the Solid State Amps should work fine.

Any specific reason for not wanting a combo?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 10
So I'm going to buy the Sennheiser HD650's soon, what amp and DAC would make the best combo together? My budget is around 200€/$ for each, I do NOT want a DAC/amp combo. I want to buy them separately. My pick now for the DAC is the DACmagic100 by Cambridge Audio, I've heard it's good for the money but will it do it's best with the HD650's?

Meier Corda Rock or Schiit Vali2.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Amps in the 200$ range. There are the same candidates that get listed often
- o2
- Meier-Audio Corda Rock
- Schiit Magni or Vali
Since the HD650 is on the "warmer" side of the spectrum, most of the Solid State Amps should work fine.

Any specific reason for not wanting a combo?
I won't be getting the money for a new amp any time soon. I have a FiioQ1 that should work as an amp for a while. Would a combo have much better results?

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 10
I won't be getting the money for a new amp any time soon. I have a FiioQ1 that should work as an amp for a while. Would a combo have much better results?
Not necessarily. If money is the problem, a combo won't help in that regard. I was just asking, because something like the oDac is available as a combo. But it's more expensive, so...

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 10
Not necessarily. If money is the problem, a combo won't help in that regard. I was just asking, because something like the oDac is available as a combo. But it's more expensive, so...
Well many thanks anyways for the suggestions, will be looking at those.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 10
I'd say to get a Modi 2 Multibit and Magni 2, you can always upgrade the Magni 2 to tubes if you want to try that sound. I use a balanced Jotunheim with my 650 and it brightens the top end just enough, but I want tubes down the road for versatility

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 10
I'd say to get a Modi 2 Multibit and Magni 2, you can always upgrade the Magni 2 to tubes if you want to try that sound. I use a balanced Jotunheim with my 650 and it brightens the top end just enough, but I want tubes down the road for versatility
I'll definitely look into them, thanks for the advice. Having the versatility sounds pretty promising for future spending.

May 31, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 10
Tonight I'm listening to my HD650 with the RME ADI 2 DAC into a Schiit Jotunheim amp (balanced from DAC to amp and Balanced to Headphone) sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back