Curious Cables USB
Mar 18, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #16 of 80
Goodies from Australia!

In the first minutes with Mac to Chord Hugo, there is a noticeable spherical expansion of sound.
It is not diluted but impactful and accurate.

Ennio Morricone soundtracks appearing massively, with theater-like realism.
Excited for the weekend.

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 80
Still excited about the Curious Cables? Are they worth the cash?

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #18 of 80
The curious cables are decent cables for the price but don't compete with the high end audiophile cables available from Audience and WireWorld that I have auditioned on my own Directstream DAC. The sad thing is when I tried to take them up on their 30 day money back guarantee they never responded to my repetitive emails asking about returning the cables. So the Curious cables are definitely not worth the cash, if you're curious stay curious, because it doesn't appear that they honor their money back guarantee.

I even offered to try the cable for a few extra days to get a friends opinion and possibly keep the cable and they didn't respond to that.

Stay away from Curious Cables. they are mediocre cables, decent sounding, but not what they are hyped up to be, and when you try to exercise the money back guarantee they don't respond.

A quick test try ordering your cable by phone. Their phone number doesn't work, that's a pretty damn good indicator their.

I wish I was still curious about this damn cable LOL.

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 80
Hi Seth
              you sent me four emails in the last two days ! 13th and 14th Sept ! we are very busy with both building and keeping up with customer interaction. I've just answered you this morning the 15th .

You state that Curious Cables are mediocre cables but in your email to me 2 days ago you say  " I still have the cable burning in 24hour a day and it's getting a bit better "

You also state that  " I believe the Audience is a bit better but yours is improving with burn in so I do want my friends opinion as he has good ears "

If the Curious costs $380 verses the Audience at $1000 and the Audience is considered by yourself only a bit better AND the Curious is not yet burned in would it not be reasonable to assume that the Curious may equal or better the Audience after burn in Seth ???

Could it be that you were upset because you didn't get a reply back within two days and you thought we had shot through to the Bahama's and were lying on the beach sipping  Pina Colada's with your $380 ? 

With your permission Seth I would be happy to post our email communications so others can make up there own minds ? ( I doubt many would be interested )

The fact is though that our 100% 30 day money back guarantee is iron clad . Trust me when I say small business people aren't just sitting around throughout the day.

I'll assemble a post re burning in and just a few thoughts about the various USB related devices on the market and our experiences with them soon !  all the best Seth and other fellow HeadPhiles

Best Regards  Mike Lenehan
                                                                                                         CuriousCables  and  LenehanAudio

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 80
Sorry I didn't realize Mike was going through some personal problems, he is honoring his guarantee, here is his reply:

Hello Seth            I have missed a couple of days emails because of stress ! nothing more. I also have a significant private issue at the moment , I work from 7am to 8pm 5 days then 8 hours on Saturdays to get all this communication done.  The return is still available ! please ship and we will return your money as soon as we get the cable. Perhaps you would like to post this return email on your forum .
                                 Best Regards Mike Lenehan
                                                             CuriousCables

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #23 of 80
I've ordered the small link Curious cable to go between my microRendu and my DAVE. I will give it a listen, let burn in all day, go back for a listen, burn in, etc.

Right now the cable is just in NY, sitting. But I suspect I should get it soon. More than a few people had recommended this cable, for this purpose, over at CA. I hope it's a champion like everyone says.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #24 of 80
I've ordered the small link Curious cable to go between my microRendu and my DAVE. I will give it a listen, let burn in all day, go back for a listen, burn in, etc.

Right now the cable is just in NY, sitting. But I suspect I should get it soon. More than a few people had recommended this cable, for this purpose, over at CA. I hope it's a champion like everyone says.

Any cheaper alternative to Curious USB? Need to conect Windows 10 an iOS (thru CCK) to Mojo. Thanks

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #26 of 80
There is always a cheaper alternative. But my experience is that you get what you pay for. I did not get around the curious cable. For some time I just used cheap USB cable from BlueJeans - made in to a Dual headed cable because I use a powerbank as powersupply. The other Day I found my Chord SilverPlus and plugged it in. I recently bought new speakers so wanted to try the Chord again. It absolutely blew the BJ cable out of the water. The SilverPlus is 100 USD for 1.5 m but I Think it is well worth it.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #27 of 80

Hi EVOLVIST. I would be interested to know what you finally made of the Regen Link?

I too have it connecting a mRendu and DAVE and it has already clocked up about 80-90 hours burn-in. Did you find that to be long enough for your cable to settle? My impressions at the moment are that is has done some nice things to the tonal balance of music - more natural, more vinyl-like - but I think it has also put back a few veils that I had worked so hard to remove. Does that sound anything like what the Curious Link did for your system? I should say that mine is a headphone-only system snd I am doing most of my listening now with the Focal Utopia, so changes in level of detail are very easy to hear. Cheers

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #28 of 80
Hi EVOLVIST. I would be interested to know what you finally made of the Regen Link?

I too have it connecting a mRendu and DAVE and it has already clocked up about 80-90 hours burn-in. Did you find that to be long enough for your cable to settle? My impressions at the moment are that is has done some nice things to the tonal balance of music - more natural, more vinyl-like - but I think it has also put back a few veils that I had worked so hard to remove. Does that sound anything like what the Curious Link did for your system? I should say that mine is a headphone-only system snd I am doing most of my listening now with the Focal Utopia, so changes in level of detail are very easy to hear. Cheers

Hmmm... My first instinct is to say no, that the cable did not veil the music at all, but given that we all hear similar, yet differently, I agree with your description of vinyl-like qualities, though I wonder if that might be the trade off. I, too, am strictly headphones, but I use HD800s, which are very microscopic, but also a smidge bright with the DAVE on some music, so perhaps my detection of details comes from cans, whereas, I don't know, I've yet to try the FUs (coming to me soon), buy because I haven't heard the FUs I wonder if they are quite as detailed as the Senns.

I'll tell you what, I'll give the FU/DAVE combo a good listen and report back. What are you using to power your mRendu? I got my LPS-1 to power it and my Curious link at about the same time, so I was always using them in tandem. I had let my link burn in for close to 200hrs and at first the cable sounded rather generic, but in the end I felt that it imparted about a 1% difference in quality on the plus side. Out of all the USB cables I had tested, it might come as a shock that it boiled down between the stock cable that came with the DAVE and the Curious link. I thought that the half-dozen others that I had tried colored the sound too much, or hardened the sound. I found it strange that the stock cable sounded good right out of the box, and it stayed that way, as if no burn in was required.

So yeah, I'll let you know, as I A/B the different cables with the FUs and the Senns.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #29 of 80
Hmmm... My first instinct is to say no, that the cable did not veil the music at all, but given that we all hear similar, yet differently, I agree with your description of vinyl-like qualities, though I wonder if that might be the trade off. I, too, am strictly headphones, but I use HD800s, which are very microscopic, but also a smidge bright with the DAVE on some music, so perhaps my detection of details comes from cans, whereas, I don't know, I've yet to try the FUs (coming to me soon), buy because I haven't heard the FUs I wonder if they are quite as detailed as the Senns.

I'll tell you what, I'll give the FU/DAVE combo a good listen and report back. What are you using to power your mRendu? I got my LPS-1 to power it and my Curious link at about the same time, so I was always using them in tandem. I had let my link burn in for close to 200hrs and at first the cable sounded rather generic, but in the end I felt that it imparted about a 1% difference in quality on the plus side. Out of all the USB cables I had tested, it might come as a shock that it boiled down between the stock cable that came with the DAVE and the Curious link. I thought that the half-dozen others that I had tried colored the sound too much, or hardened the sound. I found it strange that the stock cable sounded good right out of the box, and it stayed that way, as if no burn in was required.

So yeah, I'll let you know, as I A/B the different cables with the FUs and the Senns.

Thanks. I actually think the Link is still changing, now with over 100 hours on the clock.

I'm powering the mRendu with the LPS-1 but using the upgraded Sonore DC-4 power lead. I've actually worked through a few permutations over the last couple of months. Started the mRendu with a cheap smps, usung both the included usb hard adapter and the DAVE stock usb. Then got the LPS-1 with Mean Well smps (stock power lead), followed by the Sonore/Cardas usb hard adapter, and then the DC-4. Things are further confused by the fact that at the same time I got the Curious link I took a loan of Shunyata Alpha HC cable to power the DAVE, and I'm exoecting delivery of some FMCs either this week or next. I think I had better spend some time going back to basics and methodically working my way up through all the upgrades one at a time.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #30 of 80
Hello All

Just purchased the Curious Cable, had it for about a week now.

I have a Nordost TYR 2 and tried Chord Signature and Sarum USB.

At the moment have only tested with my LCD4 with my Hugo TT and Dave.

OK we all know the LCD 4 is a bit laid back, soft, velvet  (well for me there are), all seemed perfect until I tried the Curious Cable now there are outstanding in every department.

The balance of the bass mid range and treble are perfect with the TT Hugo, the Dave has yet to have a side by side test as in the second home, but next week will give a go and see what happens.

The Chord Cables have gone back so may ask the dealer to resend them to me if any ones interested.  

For me on the LCD4 Curious Cable has improved on what I thought was perfection, I have now the perfect balance.

Laptop J River Curious Cable to Hugo TT to LCD 4 (se, power by battery).

The HD800s were too bright for me, it may help you understand how my ears prefer to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back