Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
May 5, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #466 of 1,024
I´m asking myself why the manufacturers aren´t stating that they dont´t have "real" balanced output. It´s a bit annoying to know that in the future everytime a new DAP comes on the market I would have to ask myself, if the balanced output has a fully balanced internal structure.

May 5, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #467 of 1,024
Is it sounding bad ? Balanced doesnt mean better.

May 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #468 of 1,024
Is it sounding bad ? Balanced doesnt mean better.

And in many cases the balanced in a portable dap can't be implemented the same way as in a desktop dac/amp due to limitation of power requirements. But i expect bal as a minimum to yield a wider sound stage (some improvement in imaging and separation), blacker background since you are not referencing to a noisy ground, and a bump in power output.

May 6, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #470 of 1,024
No manufacturer will tune their DAP like headphones with peaks and valleys to boost or to scoop out frequencies.
BTW, TheBit did. In Opus 1 they weakened the bass, cut the treble and call it "neutral". But it's still were better than was my first desktop stack :)

May 6, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #471 of 1,024
Big review of P2 from Japan:
http://sandalaudio.blogspot.ru/2017/04/cowon-plenue-2.html

But it needs a better translation, than google, to understand what the hack they are talking about.
hqdefault.jpg
Bottom line of that review is that the reviewer preferred the Cowon Plenue S because of the tonality and driving power. Appears that the P2 is more suited to IEM and it is also less colored than the S.

May 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #473 of 1,024
Bottom line of that review is that the reviewer preferred the Cowon Plenue S because of the tonality and driving power. Appears that the P2 is more suited to IEM and it is also less colored than the S.

Sounds like the Cowon Plenue 2 is suited for the Trinity Audio Phantom Master.

May 6, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #474 of 1,024
And in many cases the balanced in a portable dap can't be implemented the same way as in a desktop dac/amp due to limitation of power requirements. But i expect bal as a minimum to yield a wider sound stage (some improvement in imaging and separation), blacker background since you are not referencing to a noisy ground, and a bump in power output.

Twister on your Cowon review, on your pairing test did you use standard cables on the AAW900?? or another type. BTW have you done a review of the AAW900??

May 7, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #475 of 1,024
Twister on your Cowon review, on your pairing test did you use standard cables on the AAW900?? or another type. BTW have you done a review of the AAW900??

That was only first-impression mini-review. I will get to P2 full review soon. With W900, I prefer 1960 4wire; I actually had an extensive W900 cable-rolling in my 1960 review (sound analysis on the 2nd page), and I will copy that part of the cable review in my upcoming W900 as well (W900 review should be done by the end of next week).

May 7, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #476 of 1,024
That was only first-impression mini-review. I will get to P2 full review soon. With W900, I prefer 1960 4wire; I actually had an extensive W900 cable-rolling in my 1960 review (sound analysis on the 2nd page), and I will copy that part of the cable review in my upcoming W900 as well (W900 review should be done by the end of next week).

Great , should be a great read.

May 9, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #477 of 1,024
That was only first-impression mini-review. I will get to P2 full review soon.
May I ask you to add to comparison section P2 vs Opus1? Or if you don't mind, you can write several sentences about that right now. It's unfair regarding the price tag, but will be very useful for me as an ex Opus 1 owner.

Saw, you made a stand of mid fi vs high end DAPs in Fiio X5 III review, thik it's a good idea to give people a clue, what they can receive for extra cash.

UPD
A brief demo session of P2 in the store made by one member of pleer.ru community:
P2 sounds REALY soft and smoothed out, especially compared to DX200, X7 and Kann. Weird sound, but P2 is the first DAP, that i want to say "cool bass". It's hard to explain, you should hear it for yourself.
Overal the sound is interesting/musical/smooth, but it's kinda "funny", not mature or something like that.
Also a big deal is jet effects- they really changing the sound without messing it up.

2017_05_07_12_08_31.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back