Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #14,071 of 42,765
So I think I cleared up the confusion on the cables thing.

If I buy a Chord Mojo and then I have a Fiio X3 coming eventually.. then I would use a USB micro B to USB Micro B (OTG) cable and nothing else? That would transport the digital from Fiio X3 to the Chord Mojo correctly?

EDIT: I Just noticed this

On the top of the bottom left picture is something that says coax/line out? Does that mean it is digital coax or analog coaxial? Now I'm even more confused.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #14,072 of 42,765

If I buy a Chord Mojo and then I have a Fiio X3 coming eventually.. then I would use a USB micro B to USB Micro B (OTG) cable and nothing else? That would transport the digital from Fiio X3 to the Chord Mojo correctly?

Yes. However, I find coax better. Keeps the USB port on the x3 open for charging and I find usb connects can get finicky with time used.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #14,073 of 42,765

On the top of the bottom left picture is something that says coax/line out? Does that mean it is digital coax or analog coaxial? Now I'm even more confused.

X3 doesn't have USB audio out. (Even if it has OTG function.) Only coax out. And the one sd card slot is also a limitation.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #14,074 of 42,765
  I started with Mojo plugged into my main system and thought it was very good, then bought the 2Qute as a permanent solution, I don't have to keep on charging up is one of the main things.

As to the sound the 2Qute is a definite step up in sound quality and I suggest you audition one yourself, I'm not very good at describing stuff being subjective and all that.

Mojo is staying waiting patiently for the SD module to be released, so I don't think overkill. 

Yeah, can't wait for the SD module. I wonder if it is going to be one or two slots, also the UI on the tiny digital screen. Really curious. I wish Chord could share some insight on this.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #14,075 of 42,765

Coax out will be digital, line out will be analog. LO allows you to bypass the amp, coax allows you to bypass amp and dac. All you would need is a digital coax cable, which many have offered suggestions for on this thread. x Relic x can chime in with his recommend.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #14,076 of 42,765

Coax out will be digital, line out will be analog. LO allows you to bypass the amp, coax allows you to bypass amp and dac. All you would need is a digital coax cable, which many have offered suggestions for on this thread. x Relic x can chime in with his recommend.

Thanks Bavinck. This finally solved my confusions. I see that the Mojo has an optical coax input and an optical toslink input. I thought at first it only has the toslink input. So I can use a mini digital coax-coax and then I can hook up the X3 to the Mojo.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #14,077 of 42,765

Thanks Bavinck. This finally solved my confusions. I see that the Mojo has an optical coax input and an optical toslink input. I thought at first it only has the toslink input. So I can use a mini digital coax-coax and then I can hook up the X3 to the Mojo.

That should work fine. IME I have gotten Mojo working fine with my coaxc cable I use for LO, but best to get a digital coax to be sure.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #14,078 of 42,765

Fiio DAPs need special coax cable. The usual one won't work.
Check this: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40478

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #14,079 of 42,765
And Mojo with X2 didn't move you at all? What was your best audio experience then, if I may ask?

Not A/B comparison. I owned iFi Micro and Nano iCan. After selling them I bought Mojo.

I owned Micro iCan and Nano iCan. I never heard Micro iDSD or iDAC, but I am aware of the differences on paper.

The Mojo hasnt moved me much at all, seeing as the Concero HP sounds better with the X2 imo. You keep a bigger sound and its just sounds full. Where as with the mojo its softer and compressed. Both share similar qualities, but the HP wowed me alot more from first listen. Still does.

I have pretty much sold my X2, will probably get rid of the mojo and hp and move onto a more solid system again.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #14,080 of 42,765
The Mojo hasnt moved me much at all, seeing as the Concero HP sounds better with the X2 imo. You keep a bigger sound and its just sounds full. Where as with the mojo its softer and compressed. Both share similar qualities, but the HP wowed me alot more from first listen. Still does.

I have pretty much sold my X2, will probably get rid of the mojo and hp and move onto a more solid system again.

I can't comment on the Concero HP, but I'd never call Mojo compressed. It is a soft sound, but in my book that is a positive. And the least compressed sound I have ever heard.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #14,081 of 42,765

Fiio DAPs need special coax cable. The usual one won't work.
Check this: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40478

I just ordered one from Moon Audio with my Mojo order.. I was sweating a little bit after all the anxiety and nervousness of clicking the buy button.

Black Dragon Mini Coax Digital Cable 75ohm by Moon Audio

Cable Length
4.5 inches
Source End
2 pole 3.5mm Straight Mini Plug for Fiio X3, X5
Receiving End
2 pole 3.5mm Straight Mini Plug for Chord Mojo

This is the one I got. I will curse myself if I am wrong but seems like it is pretty straightforward here. Thanks for the help everyone.

CRAP it was the 4-pole. I'm e-mailing them right away.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #14,082 of 42,765
I just ordered one from Moon Audio with my Mojo order.. I was sweating a little bit after all the anxiety and nervousness of clicking the buy button.

Black Dragon Mini Coax Digital Cable 75ohm by Moon Audio

Cable Length
4.5 inches
Source End
2 pole 3.5mm Straight Mini Plug for Fiio X3, X5
Receiving End
2 pole 3.5mm Straight Mini Plug for Chord Mojo

This is the one I got. I will curse myself if I am wrong but seems like it is pretty straightforward here. Thanks for the help everyone.

CRAP it was the 4-pole. I'm e-mailing them right away.

I got my coax cable from moon audio. Just tell them what devices it will be used for and they double check it for you. Wonderful cable!

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #14,083 of 42,765
Thank god they have a "reorder" button. I just fixed the 2-pole source end to the 4-pole for the Fiio 2nd gen devices. I'm done now :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #14,084 of 42,765
Does neutron transmit bitperfect to mojo? Its loading all my cover art correctly which is a relief, if it can also transmit bit perfect i'll be sold. I noticed it has resampling perpetually on(unable to disable, you can only select between options) this makes me think it isnt bit perfect.

Im basically going through the app and turning off eveything I see that does something to the audio, like dithering, etc.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #14,085 of 42,765

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798562/portable-amp-dac-shootout-ifi-micro-idsd-vs-resonessence-concero-hp-vs-chord-mojo-vs-ifi-idac2-vs-hrt-microstreamer

This was a good read. Seems like the Concero HP vs. Mojo is a matter of preference and overall tonality. The Concero HP is no slouch either since it is an ESS Sabre DAC combined with the Xilinx Spartan6 FPGA for custom digital filtering. But comparing price, the Mojo is cheaper and comes in a smaller package so those are two things to consider. Also whether or not a person prefers the Sabre DAC w/ custom filter versus the Chord FPGA DAC thingy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back