Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #6,091 of 22,475
Does i need to set Hugo2 to the line level mode in order to connect it to Amp because I thought it doesn't need that as it has RCA output connection which differ than what Mojo have.
If you connect directly to a speaker amp you should not use Hugo 2 in "line level" preset volume mode. It will be far too loud. You might even kill your speakers if you are unlucky.

Now playing: Jazz at the Pawnshop - All of the 30th anniversary edition :)

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #6,092 of 22,475
Does i need to set Hugo2 to the line level mode in order to connect it to Amp because I thought it doesn't need that as it has RCA output connection which differ than what Mojo have.
The RCA outputs have the same level as the HP outs. They're not line-level. Therefore, you should set line level when feeding into an amp. And make sure you turn H2 back down before or in case you plug headphones directly into H2. HTH

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #6,094 of 22,475
If you connect directly to a speaker amp you should not use Hugo 2 in "line level" preset volume mode. It will be far too loud. You might even kill your speakers if you are unlucky.

Now playing: Jazz at the Pawnshop - All of the 30th anniversary edition :)

Just for fun, are you ever not playing something?

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6,095 of 22,475
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #6,096 of 22,475
could someone give me an exact description of what tidal exclusive mode is actually doing. i.e.not just that "tidal has exclusive use of the audio device".

tidal replied to me by saying;

"Exclusive mode allows your external device to control all audio aspects of the stream. The TIDAL app will not process the stream.
if you have any further questions concerning this, please let me know."

i.e how do the two comments above tie together? and what does force volume do in conjunction with exclusive mode both enabled?

i know a lot of you use tidal with hugo2 so i feel this is relevant and important.

thanks to all MK.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #6,098 of 22,475
audio46 got back to me, they are going to replace it, letting me hold on to this unit in the meantime.

Gave it a charge, listening now on pair of MrSpeakers ÆON and also for a few mins with my Ety ER4SR. First listening impression with ÆON...feels like my ears are being penetrated by a unicorn horn. Seriously, my ear canals are tingling...quite literally. Sound is not marginally better than the Mojo (which I have been listening to all day)...but by a huge margin better. Will report back after I compare to my 2Qute later tonight.

I can't imagine finding a better pairing than with the ÆON simply stunning. Sounds like they were made for each other.

How do you like the Etymotic with the Hugo 2 as thought getting one (and possibly the aeon as well). Thank you.
Paul

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #6,099 of 22,475
Just for fun, are you ever not playing something?
When I'm listening to music, it's at my desk where my computer is and that's the only computer I use to post to this forum. So there's usually music playing :) It's also for games, films, YouTube etc.

Now playing: Doris Days - To Ulrike M

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #6,100 of 22,475
Using the H2 for some days, I have tried to compare it to both AK 240 and H1, with my Campfire Vega.
I thoght that in constrast to LCD 2, there would be no big difference between the two since AK's would be compensated by the higher sensitivity of CA. Big error. I lazily started listening AK --> CA and you suddendly realise that is sounds duller, less energetic and less sparkling. I hence tried AK -> H2->CA and quality increased considerably, in terms
- power in the bass,
- precision and space in the middle, in particular with respect to singing, and
- the sparkling in the highs is now back.

To be honest, I bought H2 because I was unhappy carrying the 12V poweradaptor. in retrospect, H2 is really (much) better, and vertainly worth its money (at least when comparing with AK)

I have my LCD 4 at home (Switzerland) working in London and would be interested in views of people using it with H2. Audeze recommends H TT, from a power perspective this is ex aequo with H2. any views?

Ps: listening to Tamerlano from Haendel

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #6,101 of 22,475
When I'm listening to music, it's at my desk where my computer is and that's the only computer I use to post to this forum. So there's usually music playing :) It's also for games, films, YouTube etc.

Now playing: Doris Days - To Ulrike M
figured such. Now playing biosphere - Oi

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #6,102 of 22,475
Teaser
IMG_0002.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #6,103 of 22,475
Compatible DAPs for Hugo 2:

Hugo 2 is a Digital to Analogue Converter equipment. It takes in a digital signal, converts it into an analog signal and outputs the analog signal via the Headphone Out. The DAP being paired with the Hugo 2 as a transport/source, must be capable of feeding a digital signal into the Hugo 2. Some DAPs do NOT have the capability to send/output a Digital Signal. Below is a list of popular DAPs on Head-Fi. I have broken down into which DAPs can and cannot be used for Hugo 2.

DAPs that CANNOT be used the with the Hugo 2:
- Acoustic Research AR-M2, AR-M20, AR-M200
- Apple iPod Nano, Classic
- Astell & Kern AK Jr
- Cowon Plenue D
- Fiio M3, X1, X1ii
- Hifiman Megamini, Supermini, HM650, HM802, HM802S, HM901, HM901S
- Lotoo PAW Gold
- Luxury & Precision L5
- Sandisk Sansa Players
- Sony Walkman WM1A, WM1Z, E Series Players

Thank you, EagleWings, for the comprehensive list, which is really useful.
I found one error on the list. Sony Walkman WM1A DOES WORK with Hugo 2. Actually I'm now listening my favorite Jazz album "Inside the Moment" by Camille Thurman (192/24) with the following setup:
Sony Walkman WM1A -> Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 -> AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable -> Hugo 2 -> Hifiman HE1000 V2

The cradle was originally designed for ZX2, but it works nicely with WM1A/Z even with the official leather cover. If you don't have the cradle but have a WM-port / USB adaptor cable, you should be able to connect a WM1A/Z to Hugo 2.
When it's connected, you can see "USB AUDIO" mark on the upper left corner of the walkman screen.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #6,104 of 22,475
Thank you, EagleWings, for the comprehensive list, which is really useful.
I found one error on the list. Sony Walkman WM1A DOES WORK with Hugo 2. Actually I'm now listening my favorite Jazz album "Inside the Moment" by Camille Thurman (192/24) with the following setup:
Sony Walkman WM1A -> Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 -> AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable -> Hugo 2 -> Hifiman HE1000 V2

The cradle was originally designed for ZX2, but it works nicely with WM1A/Z even with the official leather cover. If you have a WM-port / USB adaptor cable, you should be able to connect a WM1A/Z to Hugo 2.
When it's connected, you can see "USB AUDIO" mark on the upper left corner of the walkman screen.

Hey buddy. Thanks for letting me know. I will update the post in a bit.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back