Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 14, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #5,821 of 22,475
We need more pictures of the silver Hugo 2. I think it catches the light really nicely!

w6GKZ5m.jpg

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #5,822 of 22,475
He often posts from his phone, in a hurry.

My bad, he was responsible for DVD Audio. I must have been mixed up. I thought that there was another, similar technology he had designed in the past though.

I tried the crossfade options and it gives the feeling that there is more bass. I still think that it's the spaciousness and depth that give the impression of less bass, as I have had similar experiences going back decades now from when I first tried music I liked on a proper hi-fi system rather than whatever cheap player I had.

More or less you need to know how digital filtering works. Since digital audio can only encode up to certain frequencies, a DA-converter has to cut off any frequencies higher than the maximum. For CD quality audio (the most common) it is 22.050 kHz. The basic method now is a "brickwall" filter that just cuts them off dead at that point. However with regular DACs (not Chord) that causes other sonic issues, so a lot of people prefer a gradual roll-off towards the limit. The Chord DACs can do a brickwall filter without the issues other DACs have, but some people still don't like it as much as a gradual roll-off. It only affects high harmonics essentially, as instruments only go up to about 12 kHz (fundamentally anyway). Most people can't really hear up to 20 kHz anyway, so it doesn't affect everyone in the same way.

Try a DAVE. That was purely freaky with the information overload.

Audirvana can access the built-in EQs in MacOS in the preferences.

That's tricky. To get the most out of a Dave, there is the assumption that the recording is excellent and that you're either using headphones direct or plugging it into something that can carry through everything the Dave is capable of revealing. That's why all the jokes about using an amp (or not using one). I think at this point, it's going to depend a lot on everything other than the Hugo 2. So with the Utopias direct from the Hugo 2 and one of the best recordings I have, I get more detail with the Hugo 2. With lesser recordings, or less revealing headphones, or through an external amp, I'm not sure I'd be able to pick a difference, going by my A/B tests with other gear here.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #5,823 of 22,475
I received mine at Wednesday. Sound quality level upupupupupup from mojo+phatlab saasy combo. So amazing with Hifiman Edition X V2 with Toxic SW22 cable. Detail, natural and bass was punchy.
Before HP with sw22 and mojo was lack of bass and punch, so I am very amazing with H2 sound.

Disadvantage:
Rattle balls.
Mine has a very small gap between top and bottom Aluminum cover that you can see the leakage light.

Anyway, this sound quality is difficult to find under $3000 us dollar.
And i will not listening music with shaking hugo2 so it is not a big deal.
P.S. Sorry for my poor Engish.:confounded:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #5,824 of 22,475
I received mine at Wednesday. Sound quality level upupupupupup from mojo+phatlab saasy combo. So amazing with Hifiman Edition X V2 with Toxic SW22 cable. Detail, natural and bass was punchy.
Before HP with sw22 and mojo was lack of bass and punch, so I am very amazing with H2 sound.

Disadvantage:
Rattle balls.
Mine has a very small gap between top and bottom Aluminum cover that you can see the leakage light.

Anyway, this sound quality is difficult to find under $3000 us dollar.
And i will not listening music with shaking hugo2 so it is not a big deal.
P.S. Sorry for my poor Engish.:confounded:
Just tighten the screws on the corners for the gap. The right front screw stuck out a bit. Fixed it.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #5,826 of 22,475
In the future if the batteries needed to be replaced, it could easily be sent back to the factory for this. The Hugo and Mojo battery wires are soldered in, but could still be easily removed. I haven't looked inside the 2 to see if that is still the case, but I'd be surprised if it isn't.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #5,828 of 22,475
I'll give the eq a go - that's a good shout guys.

Any sw recommendations for a Macbook? Both for an equaliser and/or player... I want to try out many things! :D

So many frown upon EQ'ing but it can be a great thing when done to the right equipment. Some headphones "don't take" the eq well and the tonal changes introduce distortion. With others that do take it's a great way to personalize the signature. I was using Audirvana for my MAC until I was introduced to Roon which is fantastic. It isn't cheap but offers multiple EQ options, filters (plus numerous other functions) and most importantly to me, very clean frequency upgrade processing. If you enable sample rate conversion to 'MAX PCM rate' it bumps standard HiFI level Tidal tracks up to 768kHz and the SQ improvements are exceptional. There is a learning curve with Roon but well worth the time and effort. Hands down the best $120 I've spent on this hobby.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #5,830 of 22,475
To get the most out of a Dave, there is the assumption that the recording is excellent
Before I bought DAVE I'd convinced myself that my music, mostly non-audiophile, wouldn't be worth the upgrade from TT, because "DAVE is for audiophile recordings". It turns out that, in my experience, it's really hard to find music that DAVE doesn't transform.

Now playing: Dub Syndicate - Dr. Who?

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #5,831 of 22,475
aptX + H2 provided one of the best bluetooth experiences of my life.

Trying to put the H2 through it's paces, testing it now as a preamp hooked up to two monoblock and my LSiM 705's, superb!
I completely agree with you....I find myself listening my favourite music almost using bluetooth aptx lastly.....it's so easy and sq so great......
I did the same with hugo and bluetooth aptx capability is for me a must since then

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #5,832 of 22,475
Stupid question. I hadn't even considered using Bluetooth with my CH2. Are you using it to simply stream music from a computer instead of USB? If so, what's the difference in SQ between BT and USB and do you need anything special for the best quality on the computer side or standard BT supported by most new computers?

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #5,833 of 22,475
As I am logging hours on H2, I am no longer certain about claiming that H2 does not spoil Mojo. Perhaps this should be qualified in setting; quiet, undisturbed listening, and not using Mojo during treadmill, lawn mowing, etc.

H2 is this special.

I am enjoying the filters and blue tooth connectivity.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #5,834 of 22,475
Stupid question. I hadn't even considered using Bluetooth with my CH2. Are you using it to simply stream music from a computer instead of USB? If so, what's the difference in SQ between BT and USB and do you need anything special for the best quality on the computer side or standard BT supported by most new computers?

I mainly use my DP-X1 to stream BT since it supports the aptX codec, but it depends on the use case. I would always prefer a wired connect, however in a setup like mine where the Hugo 2 is a pre/pro from the tv/stereo setup via optical, its easier for me to use bluetooth than to switch connections when i want to change source.

In terms of sound quality
w/o aptX: There's good detail, the frequency response seems slightly compressed, and there is a not so nice grain to vocals (odd harmonic distortion, it's kinda ugly). I dont think the the H2 supports A2DP, my external BT receiver (supports A2DP) and sounds much better when connected to the H2 via optical than the H2 w/ BT w/o aptX

w/ aptX codec: Sounds fantastic, minimal differences between a wired connection and the wireless connection. No audible distortion and full dynamic range. So far i've only used BT with the hugo on a speaker setup so minor differences might not be as audible as compared to headphones. Overall i'm really happy with the playback.

Edit: My non aptX tests were conducted using my Huawei mate 9 which supports A2DP (not aptX), my aptX tests was using the DP-X1. Most devices do not support aptX.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #5,835 of 22,475
For seemingly power hungry TOTL headphones such as the Hifiman 1000 V2 that may need more than the CHORD Hugo 2 can supply for larger sound stage, dynamics, improved bass impact/slam, I have come across several reasonably priced amps that others have reported good synergy with the HEK V2 in this regard including the MicroZOTL2 tube amp, the Violectric HPA V281, the Trilogy 931 (special order from England), the very inexpensive Schiit Jotunheim, and finally the Wells Audio Milo. Has anyone heard any of these with the HEK V2 and also with the Focal Utopias?? At the moment I am mostly considering the Vioelectric vs Milo. I have heard amazing things about the Trilogy but few reviews. The Vioelectric can drive two cans at once and powerful, the Milo is most tube like and perhaps better synergy with the Focals.

I know that the CH2 without any amplification is ideal for transparency but wanted more options to try.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back