Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
May 22, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #2,446 of 2,546
To whom it may concern :

Greetings. I recently bought a Cayin N5. I have some problems playing a set of mp3 files ripped from an online game. The files appear to be 16bit/22.5khz instead of the usual 16/44. I have had no issues playing them with other players or my phone. Please help.

I was asking the same question here about year ago, no reply ever since.
I suppose 2 years model is already obsolete, modern products have very short support time, no people would fix it now.
I mean i love it all these almost 2 years, but Cayin's priority now is N3 and upcoming N>6.
So beat it, be happy with what you have.

May 22, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #2,447 of 2,546
I was asking the same question here about year ago, no reply ever since.
I suppose 2 years model is already obsolete, modern products have very short support time, no people would fix it now.
I mean i love it all these almost 2 years, but Cayin's priority now is N3 and upcoming N>6.
So beat it, be happy with what you have.

If that is indeed the way they roll, then even though I like the house sound, I shall put my money and vote elsewhere in the future. It's unfortunate and also ridiculous that an iPod could outperform a current gen player in terms of functionality.

May 23, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,448 of 2,546
Glad you like your N5 DAP.

I assume you are referring to the Shure SE525 IEMs. I want to remind you that while the 2.5mm balanced headphone output is significantly higher (around 50% more) then the 3.5mm headphone output, it has has higher background noise then the 3.5mm port. The SE525, being a high sensitive low impedance IEM, might exhibit mild level of hissing when driven at N5's balanced headphone jack.

The pin out of N5's 2.5mm headphone jack has been documented in Post#2 of page 1, under the session of Design and Features >
2.5mm Balanced Headphone Output

How much does this noise differ between different daps with balanced outputs 2.5mm? Is it inerrant or is this a flaw of the n5? I'm looking for a dap preferably with both 3.5 and 2.5 balanced out, within 350 usd preferably, are there any negative consequences to a dap which has both of these outs? If you have cans with a special balanced cable, and you want to plug into a 10 buck fiio converter to 3.5mm do you lose the investment of the cable SQ? Are the 30-40 usd converters or the 179 usd by AOL worth it?

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #2,449 of 2,546
To whom it may concern :

Greetings. I recently bought a Cayin N5. I have some problems playing a set of mp3 files ripped from an online game. The files appear to be 16bit/22.5khz instead of the usual 16/44. I have had no issues playing them with other players or my phone. Please help.

Warmest regards

I attempted to send this to info@cayin.cn but an error occurred.

I haven't seen 23.5khz files. Probably aren't sorted. @Andykong?

How much does this noise differ between different daps with balanced outputs 2.5mm? Is it inerrant or is this a flaw of the n5? I'm looking for a dap preferably with both 3.5 and 2.5 balanced out, within 350 usd preferably, are there any negative consequences to a dap which has both of these outs? If you have cans with a special balanced cable, and you want to plug into a 10 buck fiio converter to 3.5mm do you lose the investment of the cable SQ? Are the 30-40 usd converters or the 179 usd by AOL worth it?

It'll definitely be noticeable with low impedance, high sensitivity IEM. With harder to drive gear, you won't have this issue.

May 28, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,450 of 2,546
To whom it may concern :

Warmest regards

I attempted to send this to info@cayin.cn but an error occurred.

This is the first time I came across 22.5kHz sampling. We can test the sample for you, I'll drop you a PM and you can send the file to me, We can check out whether this is a file problem or compatibility problem.

Unlike mobile phone or computer which use a signal generator to synchronize the digital audio processing, the N5 has two dedicated "clocks" (or oscillator to be exact) handling 44.1kHz family and 48kHz family separately. This will offer a highly precision on synchronization and is the key to good sound (less jitters primarily). The trade off of this design is flexibility on sampling frequency compatibility: only 44.1kHz and its multiplies and 48kHz and its multiplies are supported. These two figures are not arbitrary values, they are the baseline of industrial standards and should covered all standard stereo recording and encoding practice.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 28, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,451 of 2,546

If you want 2.5mmm balanced connection without any real balanced amplification to the least, then the 2.5mm and 3.5mm should have the same level of background noise, the 2.5mm might have slightly (I really mean slightly) advantages because of extra ground connection, but the same connector will also mean smaller contact area on the L and R signal pin.

If you want balanced amplification or fully balanced design, then you'll involve more components because you need four channels of signal (L+, L-, R+, R-) processed and amplified independently while in non-balanced output, you only involved 4 channels (L and R). This will inevitably increased the cost of the product. The noise problem won't be as obvious if you are using desktop products as you can have ample space for the circuit layout, but to clamp twice amount of analogue components (starting from two DAC chpis in many cases) into limited space of a DAP, the interference will definitely be more serious then the non-balanced DAP, there are tricks we can do to lowered the interference such as adding filters, lowered the output, reduce the operation current etc etc, but most of these tricks will affect the sound quality as well, so if we are going for a budgeted DAP, the balanced circuit does not necessary improve the sound. If you compare a non-balanced DAP vs a balanced DAP at US$350 budget, I don't think the balanced circuit will generate any obvious audio advantages.

Last but not least, please do not compare the 3.5mm output and 2.5mm output of a balanced amplified DAP and use that as a judgement of the two format. You are comparing 50% of a DAP against 100% of a DAP, this is not a fair comparison to start with.

Regarding whether you can hear the background noise, it relates to specification of the IEM (both impedance and sensitivity), the music you are using (whether it has quiet passage in between), and most important: whether you are sensitive to noise or whether you are "looking for it". So tell use what IEMs you are or might be using and your type of music, we can comment with more confident when we know more details.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,453 of 2,546
Hey @Andykong,
Will Cayin N5 still get new firmware in future?

We have not planned for any N5 firmware update right now. Any reason or bugs that require immediate attention?

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,455 of 2,546
There are some I think in previous pages.

I didn't notice any software related bug in previous 3 pages, or do you mean previous 160 pages?

If you are referring to the battery reading bug, we have confirmed that is a hardware limitation.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,457 of 2,546
Ah ok! Will let you know if I find anything

I don't understand this, you plan to read through 160 pages to find "something"? What exactly is the point that you want to make?

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #2,459 of 2,546
Andy you replied to my post 2 weeks ago. I had some bugs but forgot them. I have other DAPs I use too you know? Like Aune M1S
JaeYoon at N5.jpg

According to the "Search in thread" function, you have not raised any question in N5 thread between 29 June 2016 to 5 June 2017,

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #2,460 of 2,546

According to the "Search in thread" function, you have not raised any question in N5 thread between 29 June 2016 to 5 June 2017,
Of course I didnt post them silly.
I barely come here. Ive moved on to other daps. Im also wondering what's your status on cayin i5

Other dap companies they receive much more updates and development.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back