Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #406 of 2,944
That's sad to hear the Xelento is v-shaped. Was interested coming from the SE846 (especially in the Xelento Wireless). I really like the prominent mids/vocals in the SE846 but would like more treble detail.

Jul 20, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #407 of 2,944
That's sad to hear the Xelento is v-shaped. Was interested coming from the SE846 (especially in the Xelento Wireless). I really like the prominent mids/vocals in the SE846 but would like more treble detail.
Not truely V-shaped, vocals are not recessed at all because it's tuned that way.
There is no reason to dislike Xelentos if you enjoyed the SE846, trust me.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #408 of 2,944
so nice to read you don't need to have a dozen drivers on each side with iems
cost $2-3k to sound fab....kudos to Beyerdynamic.

i'm currently using the FLC 8S..
have incoming some AK T8ie mkii
(couldn't resist: got 'em mint shape for a sweet deal south of $600)...

still looking for more comparisons between the xelento and ak models.
i've read of only one review on the diffs between the xelento and akt8ei mkii
(http://www.headfonia.com/review-beyerdynamic-xelento-remote-anthem).

i do remember recently watching some recent video with Tyll briefly listening to the xelentos.
he was at some roadshow and stopped by the beyerdynamic booth to have a listen to them and
acknowledged how a well tuned single dynamic driver can offer so much..that more isn't always better.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #410 of 2,944
joined the club yesterday. Loving the sound so far. Cant wait for them to burn in

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #412 of 2,944
Well, after a nice-but-ultimately-disappointing time with a brand new Japan imported MDR-EX1000, I'm tempted to give dynamic drivers another try, out of pure, unnecessary gluttony, out of trying to find something that complements the Andromeda or surpasses it, despite my having no complaints about it.

Given how well the Andro fit my brain, it's definitely more of a new toy itch, one that won't be easy to scratch.

The Xelento might be it. Anyone knows a source in Europe that has competitive pricing (and preferably allows returns, although I don't expect the EX1K experience to repeat itself). You can PM if preferred.

Only question is the aspect of the Andromeda 3D sound, with the very airy, holographic sense of space and good separation and positioning. Those are aspects I really keep loving about them and will will be hard to go back. If anyone owning both can comment more on this particular area, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #413 of 2,944
just read twister's (always enjoyable) review, esp the part comparing the AK to the Beyerdynamic...
doesn't seem night and day, which is good for me.

I don't have T8iE version, and was very clear about it in my review. So, I never compared AK and Beyer versions of Xelento :wink:

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #414 of 2,944
I don't have T8iE version, and was very clear about it in my review. So, I never compared AK and Beyer versions of Xelento :wink:

christ i'm losing it....misread..mia apologia
''X vs T5p2''

then i read down below, to other reviews... and so in the end probably wasn't paying attention to the correct review at hand.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #415 of 2,944
I only had a brief demo of the Xelento versus my own AK8iE, but to me the differences were not night and day, I tend to attribute them to the cable changes, although some people here think otherwise. I wasn't allowed to test my own AK8iE cable on the Xelento to have a true comparison (shop owners freak out when people want to test aftermarket cables in France).

Like you, I appreciate my AK8iE best with a good SPC cable. I actually tested the FiiO ones and the iBasso CB12, and the FiiO kept the good initial bass of the full copper cable but helped bringing the best out of the treble, which is my usual conclusions with regards to cable materials. The hybrid CB12 cable made for a flatter signature with less bass which defeats the initial goal of this bass-heavy IEM, but non-bassheads may prefer the CB12 cable.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #416 of 2,944
I only had a brief demo of the Xelento versus my own AK8iE, but to me the differences were not night and day, I tend to attribute them to the cable changes, although some people here think otherwise. I wasn't allowed to test my own AK8iE cable on the Xelento to have a true comparison (shop owners freak out when people want to test aftermarket cables in France).

Like you, I appreciate my AK8iE best with a good SPC cable. I actually tested the FiiO ones and the iBasso CB12, and the FiiO kept the good initial bass of the full copper cable but helped bringing the best out of the treble, which is my usual conclusions with regards to cable materials. The hybrid CB12 cable made for a flatter signature with less bass which defeats the initial goal of this bass-heavy IEM, but non-bassheads may prefer the CB12 cable.

I assume when you demoed Xelento you used the same eartips between two? With these iems, eartips can make a rather noticeable difference in sound. I mean, you can really fine tune the sound (especially bass slam) by going from one to the other, thus for anybody comparing 8ie and Xelento, I hope you get a chance to use the same eartips.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #417 of 2,944
Same tips indeed, I always use my own tips when demo-ing.
And I can't use the stock tips with these models, they're not large enough to get seal with my huge ear canals (there were no XL size, just S, M and 2 pairs of L, unlike what was shown in the review).

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #418 of 2,944
Well, after a nice-but-ultimately-disappointing time with a brand new Japan imported MDR-EX1000, I'm tempted to give dynamic drivers another try, out of pure, unnecessary gluttony, out of trying to find something that complements the Andromeda or surpasses it, despite my having no complaints about it.

Given how well the Andro fit my brain, it's definitely more of a new toy itch, one that won't be easy to scratch.

The Xelento might be it. Anyone knows a source in Europe that has competitive pricing (and preferably allows returns, although I don't expect the EX1K experience to repeat itself). You can PM if preferred.

Only question is the aspect of the Andromeda 3D sound, with the very airy, holographic sense of space and good separation and positioning. Those are aspects I really keep loving about them and will will be hard to go back. If anyone owning both can comment more on this particular area, I'm all ears.

Seconded on this

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #419 of 2,944
Unfortunately, I don't know any shop in Europe that accept IEM return once they opened, they all hide behing the "hygene" thingy to refuse, although it doesn't seem any less hygenic than an opened headphone to me, since they can be disinfected after use.

Regarding Andromeda, to me they don't share much with Xelentos. Although I didn't spend more than an hour with demo Andromedas, it is precisely this 3D almost "artifical" presentation that I didn't like in them (probably a very specific crossover design). There's way too much space between instruments to my taste when compared to AK8iE or Xelentos.
The Tesla driver of these makes for a more speaker-like presentation, where separation/soundstage is good but coherence and a bit of warmth are still the main qualities.

You definitely won't find the Andromeda 3D "space" in Xelentos, that you can be sure of.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #420 of 2,944
Any word on the Xelento Wireless? These have been MIA since their announcement a while ago. I really wish companies would stop announcing products until they're ready or close to being ready to ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back