Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
May 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #766 of 2,669
I used to have the original T1 and while it had astounding transparency it was too bright for me. Now I have the new T1.2 and that one is much smoother in the treble to my ears while still being quite transparent and resolving.

This is how I viewed the T1v2. The original T1 I didn't spend a lot of time with but it definetly was more neutral. I placed it very similar to an hd800 minus the wide sound staging.

May 28, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #767 of 2,669
I've tried T1 once but the store didn't have any proper listening room, and I had to share the space with another guy, who was trying out loudspeakers. I couldn't form any kind of opinion regarding the headphones. The only detail I vivibly remember was how the 'whooshing sound' in this song (fading-in on the background) was like steel whips inside a metal cube; veeery sharp treble.

That can make it VERY difficult to try and pay attention to any headphone in that listening environment, let alone an open back.

Steel whips inside a metal cube sounds sharp!! Haha.

May 31, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #770 of 2,669
Hi all, first post so go easy. Currently using some HD650's with a Marantz HD-DAC1 but have an urge to buy these. The 650's have been my go-to for a while now, having had quite a few headphones over the years.

I've got bored of analytical listening and am looking for a good all-rounder for music and occasional gaming. Can anyone compare having owned both the 650 and the Amirons advise me on how they compare? Is it much of an 'upgrade' from the 650?

Thanks

Jun 2, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #772 of 2,669
Agreed on all accounts. Not sure he should have the influence he has, but it takes all kinds. I don't think he will like the Amiron. It isn't to his liking from what I can tell. If we all agreed, it would be a boring world.

Not to troll, but this YouTube guy Z is really nothing more than an opinionated, rambling, faux-audiophile who enjoys hearing himself talk more than providing informative or informed reviews. Between his blabber about this or that, and his vomit-inducing headcam, he's unwatchable for more than 30 seconds.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #773 of 2,669
Not to troll, but this YouTube guy Z is really nothing more than an opinionated, rambling, faux-audiophile who enjoys hearing himself talk more than providing informative or informed reviews. Between his blabber about this or that, and his vomit-inducing headcam, he's unwatchable for more than 30 seconds.
What you said...

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #775 of 2,669
The objective part is, they are very comfortable, I doubt very few, if any, will think these are not very comfortable.

The subjective part is, the Amiron will beat all your other headphones in sound quality.

But the question is, will they be your signature, only you can answer that :)

Thanks for your input. That second statement is rather challenging! I do have some excellent headphones in my profile list... so ... we will see...

I had planned to ask a few more questions before ordering these but last Monday the 29th, when I saw the price on Amazon was at £402 and they had a few in stock, I just had to do it. They arrived Tuesday the 30th. I have not had as much time with them yet as I would have liked because we have been super busy re-doing our home theater system this week (plasma tv died).

As soon as the Amirons arrived I hooked them up to my desktop system - PC running foobar 2000 through my SMSL M6 dac/amp. They have been playing for 4 days now and I have listened off and on whenever I have been able to grab a bit of time. So far I have to say I am very impressed. I do like the "signature." They are very comfortable but not quite as comfortable as my Nighthawks or my Sennheiser 598SEs. Nothing will ever beat those two for comfort... close though. I have not yet tried them straight out of my Opus #1 DAP or with the Opus paired with my Fiio E12A portable amp. I would love to have some uninterrupted time right now!

Amazon UK sells the Amiron for 400 GBP. New and sold by Amazon, very good deal, probably won't last long.

When I first asked about the Amirons last Sunday I was planning to get them from Bax. Both Bax and Amazon had them listed for £404 but neither had them in stock. I was very surprised Monday when Amazon suddenly had them in stock and had lowered the price by 2 pound. I checked and Bax had also lowered the price to £402. Now with both at £400 I have no idea who is matching who but something is going on. I think it is Bax with the low price and Amazon matches it. I believe Amazon automatically searches out the lowest price. If Bax had had them in stock I would have ordered from them as they give a 3 year warranty.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #776 of 2,669
Thanks for your input. That second statement is rather challenging! I do have some excellent headphones in my profile list... so ... we will see...

I had planned to ask a few more questions before ordering these but last Monday the 29th, when I saw the price on Amazon was at £402 and they had a few in stock, I just had to do it. They arrived Tuesday the 30th. I have not had as much time with them yet as I would have liked because we have been super busy re-doing our home theater system this week (plasma tv died).

As soon as the Amirons arrived I hooked them up to my desktop system - PC running foobar 2000 through my SMSL M6 dac/amp. They have been playing for 4 days now and I have listened off and on whenever I have been able to grab a bit of time. So far I have to say I am very impressed. I do like the "signature." They are very comfortable but not quite as comfortable as my Nighthawks or my Sennheiser 598SEs. Nothing will ever beat those two for comfort... close though. I have not yet tried them straight out of my Opus #1 DAP or with the Opus paired with my Fiio E12A portable amp. I would love to have some uninterrupted time right now!

When I first asked about the Amirons last Sunday I was planning to get them from Bax. Both Bax and Amazon had them listed for £404 but neither had them in stock. I was very surprised Monday when Amazon suddenly had them in stock and had lowered the price by 2 pound. I checked and Bax had also lowered the price to £402. Now with both at £400 I have no idea who is matching who but something is going on. I think it is Bax with the low price and Amazon matches it. I believe Amazon automatically searches out the lowest price. If Bax had had them in stock I would have ordered from them as they give a 3 year warranty.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #777 of 2,669
Will be glad to hear your opinion, as I think you are a fan of the Nighthawks, as am I. I was really wanting to try the Beyer. DT1990 however I am set up to run a balanced system and the 1990 does not have dual headphone connections, the Amiron does.
So, any thoughts you can share on how the NH's and Amiron's compare and differ would be most helpful, thanks !

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #778 of 2,669
I have heard both, but they were a month apart and I didn't spend a lot of time with either. They were also on different systems, and I didn't have a great choice of music with the nighthawk
From memory, the NH's are warmer and more forward in the lower mids and bass, with the Amirons being more neutral and relaxed. They both have a treble with a slightly bright tilt, but I think that the Amiron is slightly less bright in the treble.

I could be totally off with this comparison.

Edit: I was wrong. See below for a better (i.e. correct) assessment of the treble.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #779 of 2,669
Will be glad to hear your opinion, as I think you are a fan of the Nighthawks, as am I. I was really wanting to try the Beyer. DT1990 however I am set up to run a balanced system and the 1990 does not have dual headphone connections, the Amiron does.
So, any thoughts you can share on how the NH's and Amiron's compare and differ would be most helpful, thanks !

I've owned the Nighthawks in the past and am very familiar with the Hawks, sadly never compared them directly, only compared the Hawks and the DT 1990. Both the Hawks and Amiron are on the warm side. The two headphone sound different, The Amirons feel and sound more open with a bigger and wider soundstage and a bit more pin-point imaging with a softer texture to their sound with brighter yet more refined treble, the dynamics are very good and can be intense but doesn't hit you in the face as often as the Hawks and DT 1990 can. The Nighthawks sound more intense, robust, and thicker overall with a slower decay to the sound giving the Hawks a more liquid sound to it, the Amirons are a little drier than the Hawks but not quite as dry sounding as the DT 1990. The Amirons are liquid sounding for a Beyer though. Comfort is personal, for me the Amiron and Hawks are about the same. Personally I find the Amirons and DT 1990 easier on my ears sonically than the Hawks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back