Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,832 of 2,875
Has anyone heard of using a Y-cable to get better sound with these? I read that somewhere recently.
Do you mean balance cable. It will need some modding.
For me stock cable and upgrade amp is OK, it scale pretty.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,835 of 2,875
After coming back into headphones after a few years break (got into speakers for the home) I was looking for a pair of closed cans again that are comfortable and obviously decent in sound within the 200-300 range. Options at the time for me were either Audio Technica MSR7's, Sony MDR1A's, and the B&O H6's.

I demoed the other 2 headphones before trying the H6's and wasn't quite getting the taste I wanted from either of the 2. Before my demo sessions, I was leaning towards the Sony MDR1A because they were what I wanted according to the reviews I read, but disappointingly Sony's bass was way too much for my taste. I can see how they can be fun phones for some people but was a no go for me. Tried on the MSR7's shortly after and they were good and definitely much more neutral and clear... but I wasn't satisfied with their midrange.

A day later I go to a B&O store/boutique (whatever you wanna consider it) and tried on the H6's (1st gen) there without stock cable, it was a B&O replacement cable, no mic, no nothing. Just pure 3.5mm to 3.5mm from B&O. I plugged them directly into my phone and after a couple of tracks I was sold and knew these were it. They sounded much better directly from a smartphone than the other 2 did being driven from proper amps and sources. Absolute lush mids, highs were perfect for my taste, and bass was satisfying. Everything I heard about the Gen 2's were ever so present in these 1st Gens.

I asked the B&O representative after my session about the differences in both the generations and how people claim that both are very different. What he said was that over an extended time they both end up sounding the same, and initially there are variations in manufacturing but assured me again that after a while they are meant to reach a certain signature. (In other words breaking in basically)

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #1,836 of 2,875
I asked the B&O representative after my session about the differences in both the generations and how people claim that both are very different. What he said was that over an extended time they both end up sounding the same, and initially there are variations in manufacturing but assured me again that after a while they are meant to reach a certain signature. (In other words breaking in basically)

Very interesting. I have never heard a generation one but am very happy with my generation two.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #1,839 of 2,875
when I say generation 1, I mean the original H6

I know, I just meant I have never heard (listened to) the original H6... have only listened to my H6 version 2

I just found it interesting that the B&O representative said that they end up sounding the same.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #1,840 of 2,875
I know, I just meant I have never heard (listened to) the original H6... have only listened to my H6 version 2

I just found it interesting that the B&O representative said that they end up sounding the same.
oh okay, and yeah I was quite surprised as well

btw how long have you had your H6's, how are they keeping up?

Im about to get mine in the mail anyday now and i cant wait

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #1,841 of 2,875
BO H6 v2 at a very low 147,24€ at Amazon Spain. https://www.amazon.es/PLAY-Bang-Olufsen-BeoPlay-Auriculares/dp/B01B45RTSK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce unbeatable for that price.
yeah I bought one and I'm a happy owner now. This headphone is perfect for my ears and I finally found THE headphone !!
However, I followed the advises on this thread about a better quality cable and bought a v-moda audio only one, but it doesn't work properly on my Beoplay H6 MKII. No matter how I connect it, I've poor sound one one side each time.......... I get back to the original one.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,842 of 2,875
yeah I bought one and I'm a happy owner now. This headphone is perfect for my ears and I finally found THE headphone !!
However, I followed the advises on this thread about a better quality cable and bought a v-moda audio only one, but it doesn't work properly on my Beoplay H6 MKII. No matter how I connect it, I've poor sound one one side each time.......... I get back to the original one.
ahh that really sucks... I just got my H6 yesterday and I could see why people were complaining about the cable. I was also planning to get the vmoda cable for it but now i wont because of your experience.

When I first put its own cable on I was getting sound only from one ear and for a few minutes i thought i had a defective product, so i tried once last time and i tried putting the wire pretty hard near the headphone side and it finally worked... but ive noticed when i switch to the other end of the cable where microphone would be towards the end then it doesnt work which i found very odd because if i were ever to use the volume up or down button i would have liked to use it near my phone not near my neck!

is this the same for you as well?

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #1,843 of 2,875
ahh that really sucks... I just got my H6 yesterday and I could see why people were complaining about the cable. I was also planning to get the vmoda cable for it but now i wont because of your experience.

When I first put its own cable on I was getting sound only from one ear and for a few minutes i thought i had a defective product, so i tried once last time and i tried putting the wire pretty hard near the headphone side and it finally worked... but ive noticed when i switch to the other end of the cable where microphone would be towards the end then it doesnt work which i found very odd because if i were ever to use the volume up or down button i would have liked to use it near my phone not near my neck!

is this the same for you as well?

Yes, indeed !
I had exactly the same experience as I tried to do so. Some people are talking about Belkin cables which works great with the BeoPlay H6.... Sure they fit on the headphone, however, I don't know if it works properly for the sound. The B&O audio cable about 2.5 meters is really too expensive and it even doesn't have gold plated connectors. I was looking for better quality cable, but did not found one to date. Ebay => lots of China stuff and some poor cables from UK. It would be great if somebody could tell which cable brings a real improvement and is compatible with both H6
(Mk I & Mk II).

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #1,844 of 2,875
Yes, indeed !
I had exactly the same experience as I tried to do so. Some people are talking about Belkin cables which works great with the BeoPlay H6.... Sure they fit on the headphone, however, I don't know if it works properly for the sound. The B&O audio cable about 2.5 meters is really too expensive and it even doesn't have gold plated connectors. I was looking for better quality cable, but did not found one to date. Ebay => lots of China stuff and some poor cables from UK. It would be great if somebody could tell which cable brings a real improvement and is compatible with both H6
(Mk I & Mk II).
exactly what I thought, I really wanted the vmoda one till you told me and I also find B&O's extended way too overpriced. But at the moment I dont mind the stock cable even though it feels like an iphones charger :beyersmile:

Anyways, I'm really satisfied with H6's at the moment. Happy listening!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back