B&O H7 Bluetooth Discussion and Impressions
Feb 14, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #227 of 294
  is the sound change between 1st and 2nd gen ?

No.  I've had 4 pairs of H7s over the last year, all exactly the same.  No marks to differentiate between V1 and V2 however, so no way to really know for sure.  The latest ones were from B&O directly, so I assume they are the V2.

I think if there was a change, they'd have done what they did with the H6...made something that looked different at least.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #228 of 294
I just know that in the 2nd gen there is no pouch, but thank you, I had the 1st gen, I'm waiting for them to be back after they fix my left cup, or to change for 2nd gen and Cacao Brown color or H9 but sound might be not as good as H7.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #229 of 294
I got hold of the beoplay H7 today. My first impressions are pretty good, similar sound signature to the Master & Dynamic MW60 but more open and maybe a tad more detailed.

They seem well designed and very comfortable. So far I dislike that they did not come with a case and they leak a little more sound than I like. I got them in the natural colour so I hope they don't get dirty looking too easily.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #231 of 294
...I got them in the natural colour so I hope they don't get dirty looking too easily.

They will only get as dirty as you get them.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #232 of 294
Has anybody found a way to deal with BT issues in these headphones yet? I got a great deal on them, and loved the sound quality, especially the soundstage, but I'll be trying to send them back despite it seems...
I compared mine against non-flashed version and the latter had no ticking problem, and also better bass (similar to H6 v2). I talked to B&O customer support, but they don't seem inclined on fixing H7 firmware, and the Android app which somehow prevented ticking etc. seems to crash even more often after the recent update. They won't allow firmware reroll either. Here's their stance on the ticking problem from a couple of days ago:

Quote:
 However, constant ticking shouldn't happen, and as a consequence of that, I suspect them to have a hardware fault, as we have not yet encountered this issue before.

... yeah, right.

BTW does anybody find H7 rather uncomfortable? They are rather heavy, the clamp is very weak (and I usually need to stretch out headbands in other HPs o.O) and headband has almost no padding.

Besides, are there any decent alternatives that sound similar to these? Wireless or not. B&W P7 Wireless seems to be the way to go, but their weight scares me a bit. Of the wired realm, I tried Focal Listen and they are very neutral, a bit bass deprived even IMO. I know I could wait for H4 or get H6v2 but don't really feel like giving money to B&O anymore... Oh and there were Bose QC35, great fit but sounded horrible, even compared to cheaper Bose models. Really weird.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #233 of 294
@arch, I certainly didn't have any ticking issues with my H7, but it was at least two years older than current production models and I would never update the firmware or use any apps for that matter to enhance the experience. Those type of "enhancements" have little chance of doing anything useful to the sound so why even bother I say. 99% of the sound is the driver and enclosure tuning combined with the onboard circuitry limitations. I can't imagine there would be any meaningful changes from firmware updates although I suppose it is possible. From reading this thread it seems like the firmware caused more problems than anything.

The H7 is far more comfortable than the P7, I have owned both, so if you find the H7 uncomfortable I can't imagine you doing well with the P7. I did prefer the sound quality of the P7, but not by very much and the removable battery in the H7 I thought was a great feature. At this price point, and if a cable isn't a problem for you there are many killer headphones worth considering. I would really like to try the KEF Space One and the H6 V2 if cable were an option for me.

I haven't been following the H9 thread much. Have people been disappointed with the sound quality of the H9? I know the ANC is supposed to be a flop, but I'm not sure how the sound quality has panned out.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #235 of 294
The clicking noise is due to the Bluetooth transmitter (source).

I just bough a "Used - Like New" H7 from Amazon.com and updated it to firmware 9.1.3. They are perfect with no issues whatsoever. I primarily use them on my PC with two different Bluetooth transmitters.

When using it with my iPhone 7, there is no clicking. The H7 maintains a secondary Bluetooth connection to the BeoPlay app on my iPhone even when using them with my PC. I have no issues with the app connecting.

The first Bluetooth adapter on my PC is the Creative BT-W2 which supports aptX Low Latency. There is no clicking with this adapter.

I also use an Avantree Oasis to transmit the SBX Surround output from my Sound Blaster Zx for virtual surround in games and movies. This is also an aptX Low Latency transmitter, but it randomly produces the clicking noise from the left channel once in a while. It seems to be related to signal strength. With a direct line of sight, it occurs only maybe once or twice an hour. When the transmitter is obstructed by even a thin wooden table, it clicks every few minutes.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #237 of 294
Just tried the H7. Which one is better...theH7 or the Onkyo H500 BT? Can you tell me why ones sound signature is better than the other before I make a purchase tomorrow?

It is a very personal thing. I loved the H7, but I feel the H500BT is at least it's equal in overall musical enjoyment. The H7 feels and looks more premium, but of course you have to pay for the premium. What I found was that the H500BT was the more portable of the two and if that is your primary use on the go, that is worth considering. Here we get hot summers, really humid so I couldn't wear the H7 out and about, but the H500BT I could so that was a factor for me. Really I think in sound quality it is a toss up, both are excellent and I couldn't call one better than the other. I wish I could be more helpful, but in the end only you can know what works for you. If you can try both and return the one you prefer the least that might not be a bad way to go, but if somebody came to me and said money was tight, and true on the go use was their number one need, I would have to nod for the H500BT.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #238 of 294
Hello, I am really keen on getting a new pair of H7. But am put off by seemingly a lot of complaints on ticking / clicking sound. In your experience, does the ticking sound appear even when the mobile phone / device is on silent mode? Read in other forum that says it may have helped.

Also Wondering whether u had exp with h9 and whether they hv similar issues. I tested h9 in a store the other day (no more demo for h7), and in one occasion there was this popping sound when first connwcted the headset with the device, but not sure whether it is the same problem.

Cant believe b&o does not even try to fix it for seemingly a software issue only!

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #239 of 294
I demoed the H9 and really liked it. I wandered through a coffee shop next to the store. Wore it for about an hour. Ultimately, the volume limitation was a deal breaker. On most music it was just fine - good and loud enough. But on older cuts (mastered to a lower level) and video, I didn't feel the volume was sufficient.

So, I bought the H7 and have been extremely please after about three months of use. There is a slight ticking (for me, just in the left ear) for a few seconds, but it goes away and it has not hindered my listening. It's not there on silence between cuts, etc. I love the sound, plus the ability to tweak it for movies or some type of music through the Beoplay app. The H9 has noise cancellation - much less dramatic than Bose, but very smooth and it was great in the coffee shop and on the street.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the H7, though, and the ticking sound only happens for a few seconds at start up on mine.

Hello, I am really keen on getting a new pair of H7. But am put off by seemingly a lot of complaints on ticking / clicking sound. In your experience, does the ticking sound appear even when the mobile phone / device is on silent mode? Read in other forum that says it may have helped.

Also Wondering whether u had exp with h9 and whether they hv similar issues. I tested h9 in a store the other day (no more demo for h7), and in one occasion there was this popping sound when first connwcted the headset with the device, but not sure whether it is the same problem.

Cant believe b&o does not even try to fix it for seemingly a software issue only!

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #240 of 294

Happens on every pair of H7s...some more than others.  And if it is audible enough for your ears pretty much determines how annoying it is.  I've had 5 pairs of H7s for various reasons...and as soon as you upgrade the software to use them w/ the Beoplay App it starts.  I've paid attention to the start and stop of it and it's with the latest firmware.  So it's something software related which makes it amazing to me that they haven't fixed or admitted to it.  I still love the headphone as the ticking is only for a second or two when music starts...so I've gotten to the point I don't even notice it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back