B&O H7 Bluetooth Discussion and Impressions
Mar 15, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #271 of 294
One thing I am a bit disappointed about is the lack of any kind of carrying case or even a pouch (that I know was included in previous edition of these cans). Given that they are wireless so they are meant to be used on the go, I found it weird they did not include one, considered the retail price of 329pounds. But even at 200, as they were on sale when I bought them... :/
I bought this case for my H7: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LTGEM-Protective-Carrying-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B074W8GTCJ that I can highly recommend. It's inexpensive, very well build and designed specifically for B&O.
I did not have any issues with noise, clicks, hiss or anything else in my H7, like you said this was probably related to previous firmware versions. These are excellent portable headphones and they are my everyday phones for going outside and doing errands around the house. :beerchug:

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #272 of 294
I’m in the market for some wireless cans while I’m holidaying in Tokyo, and there’s some deals around on the H7-2 (¥27590 / US$250) that are pretty tempting.

I listen to ambient, experimental, shoegaze, and increasingly modern classical music. How do the H7s fare for those genres?

I currently use a first gen pair of B&W P3s which I’ve enjoyed - but tired of killing cables constantly, and the head band gets a bit uncomfortable on the top of my head after any extended listening.

My other option is the H4s (at around ¥21000 / US$190). Brief plays with both in store (no demo sound though) suggested the H4s were more comfortable (way more padding on the head band), but not as nice looking, and I’m concerned about the sound versus the H7s for this kind of music, and the non removable battery.

Pony up for the H7s or would the H4s still suffice? Either way they’re way cheaper than I can get them at home in Australia.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #273 of 294
I’m in the market for some wireless cans while I’m holidaying in Tokyo, and there’s some deals around on the H7-2 (¥27590 / US$250) that are pretty tempting.

I listen to ambient, experimental, shoegaze, and increasingly modern classical music. How do the H7s fare for those genres?

I currently use a first gen pair of B&W P3s which I’ve enjoyed - but tired of killing cables constantly, and the head band gets a bit uncomfortable on the top of my head after any extended listening.

My other option is the H4s (at around ¥21000 / US$190). Brief plays with both in store (no demo sound though) suggested the H4s were more comfortable (way more padding on the head band), but not as nice looking, and I’m concerned I about the sound versus the H7s for this kind of music, and the non removable battery.

Pony up for the H7s or would the H4s still suffice? Either way they’re way cheaper than I can get them at home in Australia.

I have had my H7 for a long time now. Still use them every day and simply love them. No matter what genre I listen to I find the sound very pleasant. Very comfy to me. Sounds as a good bargain but of course you need to give them a try to make your own judgment.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #274 of 294
I have had my H7 for a long time now. Still use them every day and simply love them. No matter what genre I listen to I find the sound very pleasant. Very comfy to me. Sounds as a good bargain but of course you need to give them a try to make your own judgment.

Thanks. Do you know if there is much difference between the original H7s and the series 2 revision? As far as I can see, Bluetooth updated to 4.2 from 4.1 (does that actually matter?) and no more soft case included. Is that it, no changes to sound or wireless quality? (I’ve just seen the same store has the original ones even cheaper, less than the marked down H4s at a hair over US$180).

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #275 of 294
Thanks. Do you know if there is much difference between the original H7s and the series 2 revision? As far as I can see, Bluetooth updated to 4.2 from 4.1 (does that actually matter?) and no more soft case included. Is that it, no changes to sound or wireless quality? (I’ve just seen the same store has the original ones even cheaper, less than the marked down H4s at a hair over US$180).
FWIW I don’t know of the differences. Mine are 1st generation and I never updated the firmware:wink: So if they are even cheaper......

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #276 of 294
I'm sorry for being late to this thread but I do need to give my 2 cents. I have V1, updated the firmware, then they turned too bass heavy. I preferred the cleaner bass of the original. So now I have to use the app(iOS, unsure of Android) to tame the bass. But one good thing about the app is that you can set and save different sound signatures for different types of music or speaking. But IMO B&O ruined a good thing. I still use my H7 because they're still a very good set but I don't know why they felt the need to add that much bass. Only a small enhancement was needed. I suspect V2 will have the "enhanced" bass. But it can be tamed with either equalizer or that app.

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #277 of 294
I don't like how the sound settings from beoplay app do not save in to the headphones. I need to go in and set the sound manually in the app every time the H7s connect.

I have contacted B&O support for a firmware update to save settings permanently. They said they were looking into it but have no time line when or even if this will be implemented.

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #278 of 294
I'm sorry for being late to this thread but I do need to give my 2 cents. I have V1, updated the firmware, then they turned too bass heavy. I preferred the cleaner bass of the original. So now I have to use the app(iOS, unsure of Android) to tame the bass. But one good thing about the app is that you can set and save different sound signatures for different types of music or speaking. But IMO B&O ruined a good thing. I still use my H7 because they're still a very good set but I don't know why they felt the need to add that much bass. Only a small enhancement was needed. I suspect V2 will have the "enhanced" bass. But it can be tamed with either equalizer or that app.

I have the V2, bought a couple of months ago, and I don't actually feel like they are "bass-heavy" at all. I did not update to the latest firmware 'cause I like the sound as it is and I don't want to risk them messing up with how the headphones work. I don't know, maybe is something related to the latest firmware only, or just I have a different sensibility to bass.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #279 of 294
So the moral of the story is "do not update to latest firmware" LOL. Seriously though, I did so because I thought it contained bug fixes, not a sound signature "upgrade". My mistake, but I still love the set. No wearing out of parts and I'm still getting great battery life also. The sound can be dealt with and it's not all bad.

May 1, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #280 of 294
So the moral of the story is "do not update to latest firmware" LOL. Seriously though, I did so because I thought it contained bug fixes, not a sound signature "upgrade". My mistake, but I still love the set. No wearing out of parts and I'm still getting great battery life also. The sound can be dealt with and it's not all bad.

There is no moral, really... I am actually a bit disappointed, I would like to use the app, but I am too afraid to update. They should give the possibility to downgrade, or at least they should not act on the sound signature on such an irreversible way.

May 1, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #281 of 294
I picked up my H7s yesterday, and been giving them some brief listens.

They’re definitely v1, given the older packaging style and the inclusion of the soft bag. Enjoying the sound so far. They’re not leagues ahead of my P3s, but definitely able to pick more things out that I couldn’t hear before (listening to someone like Fennesz, where he’s buried things super low in the mix under heaps of noise). Bass comes through a touch fuller too (but not overbearing)

Does the update address any of the touch controls? If I have one complaint, it’s that they’re very finicky. Volume spin doesn’t always work, and I’ve already done an accident call redial. I know it’s a common complaint, but haven’t seen much detail about the update and what else it addresses. Did B&O issue any release notes for the update? Being able to use the app would be nice, since I already have my S3 speakers added to it but may follow advice to avoid it if none of the control issues are addressed.

May 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #282 of 294
First post in here :)

Just got the Beoplay H7
I am a freetime musician, producer and hifi entusiast, and think i know a more than a little about sound.
My impression is that this headphone is very bass heavy and far from linear, and i am actually rather disappointed. But this was listening wireless over bluetooth.
I then tried the H7 wired, and suddenly the sound was really great, much better linear and integrated bass.
So i am pretty sure this elevated bass is a software thing, and i really wish the bluetooth sound was the same as the wired... :frowning2:
I can get the sound i like with the tonetouch EQ in the Beoplay app, but not only does the H7 not remember these settings, but also the app forget all after being closed and then opened.
Well, and now after the last app update it will not connect at all with the H7!

I'm a little surprised i am so alone with my impressions about the bass in these headphones, and surprised that B&O has this sound philosophy...

May 5, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #283 of 294
Does the update address any of the touch controls? If I have one complaint, it’s that they’re very finicky. Volume spin doesn’t always work, and I’ve already done an accident call redial. I know it’s a common complaint, but haven’t seen much detail about the update and what else it addresses.
The software update only changes wireless sound signature and upgrades the Bluetooth profile making B&O H7 V1 to become V2. That's it, it does not change any control functionality.

When I first got H7 I also found the controls to be a bit quirky, but later I realized that to control the phones you must use that shallow circular groove/depression in aluminum that goes around the earcup. You place your finger on the groove and than slide along to adjust the volume. Works perfectly.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #284 of 294
First post in here :)

Just got the Beoplay H7
I am a freetime musician, producer and hifi entusiast, and think i know a more than a little about sound.
My impression is that this headphone is very bass heavy and far from linear, and i am actually rather disappointed. But this was listening wireless over bluetooth.
I then tried the H7 wired, and suddenly the sound was really great, much better linear and integrated bass.
So i am pretty sure this elevated bass is a software thing, and i really wish the bluetooth sound was the same as the wired... :frowning2:

My impressions are the same as yours, the phones became a little bit bass heavy after the software update, but the wired sound has not changed. I see this as not necessary a bad thing. The Bluetooth mode mostly used in outside environment where the unwanted noise may become an issue leading to loss in the bass department. I think that was partly behind the B&O philosophy in the last update. These headphones in wireless mode not suited for critical listening or high-resolution music playback, aptX Bluetooth codec inside H7 barely can resolve16 Bit audio.
I use them in wireless mode while walking the streets, riding buses and doing some chores where more bass is desirable, when I listen to high-resolution files I use the wire.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #285 of 294
Lots of users complained about the lack of volume on first batch of H7s with earlier firmware. Could it be that B&O tried to address this by boosting the bass and treble making it louder but screwing up the balance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back