AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #6,991 of 10,196
I definitely need to buy a replacement cable, the official one is just too short. Ideally I need it at least twice the length. What's the best performing replacement cable for these cans please?

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #6,993 of 10,196
I definitely need to buy a replacement cable, the official one is just too short. Ideally I need it at least twice the length. What's the best performing replacement cable for these cans please?

I have been using this one since October. I bought the 1.8m length. It fits nicely into the cups and the cable itself is very flexible. Very comfortable to use and I do not find a problem with sound quality. I have the original Nighthawk which came with two cables. A very long thick kinky silver one which has broken for so many people. Mine broke at the plug end the first time I tried to move it to a different amp. The other cable was long and thin. Seemed nice at first but way too long and it it proved to be very microphonic if I moved at all. Skylar was active in the thread when I had the problem with the thick cable and he contacted me to arrange for me to receive the new cable that would ship with the not yet available (at that time) Carbon version. I really appreciated his help and was happy when the cable arrived. However, as you know, that one has its own set of problems. Too thick and sprongy for portable use...actually uncomfortable and annoying for any use. Too short for some purposes. I am happy with this Sennheiser one. You could also search for cables for the Sennheiser HD700 or the Oppo Pm1 or 2 but the results then to be for the more expensive offerings. I knew the one for the Sennheiser HD497 would work because I have an old 497 here. That cable is not as nice as this one on ebay though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2M-1-8M...hash=item4b17ab75a1:m:mTIn-1NopJnOU1S91Nm0yCg

It comes from China so you have to wait a week or two.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #6,994 of 10,196
I hope so much that i will have the chance to audition one of those one day...
From what i´ve read they are such polarizing headphones which really stand out!
But due to that the risk is just to high to simply pull the trigger...

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #6,995 of 10,196
I hope so much that i will have the chance to audition one of those one day...
From what i´ve read they are such polarizing headphones which really stand out!
But due to that the risk is just to high to simply pull the trigger...
I've seen nighthawks sell used $250-$300. I think it is worth saving for at that point.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6,997 of 10,196
The Nightawks liquid wood (old version) can be had for € 299 NEW at Smits Arnhem store. Europeans check it out.
I bought mine there about a month ago but I believe they only ship to Dutch and German residents.

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #7,000 of 10,196
My thoughts on Nighthawk v X2: Comfort: Nighthawk wins, Soundstage: X2 wins. X2 has brighter treble but thinner mids. X2 has Stronger bass but not as controlled as the Nighthawk. X2 is a lively headphone whereas the Nighthawk is a laid back relaxed headphone. Both are great headphones

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #7,002 of 10,196
Hey guys does the the new nighthawk carbon cable improve sound quality compared to the stock cables for the nighthawkwood?

I have used all three and I believe the reason they changed the cable was because if the breakage issues with the original thick one and the microphonics of the thin one. However the new cable is a thick rubbery beast. Not comfortable to use in any scenerio in my opinion. Check my earlier post were I go into detail and make another suggestion. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...scussion-thread.749762/page-467#post-13620646

Some will recommend super expensive cables some costing as much or more than the headphones. I am very happily using the cable I linked to above. My Hawks sound amazing.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #7,003 of 10,196
Wanted - original NH cable.
I want to use a similar cable for my HD-600s as with my NHs (obviously it will require modification). If you have replaced your original NH cable - the thicker one - with something else and wish to sell it please send me a message or reply to my WTB post in Cables for sale forum.

TiA
13DoW

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #7,004 of 10,196
Anybody got some good EQ settings for Equalizer APO and the Nighthawks? I love those HPs but the midbass is really distracting in some Genres and Songs (good example is "Metallica - Spit Out The Bone", where the drums almost sound distorted and not clean at all)
Also female voices sound a bit manly sometimes :d

i know Dale Thorn fixed this with his EQ settings, but hes not using Equalizer APO but some iphone only app and i dont really know if i just can copy paste his numbers to Equalizer APO.

PS: on a sidenote my Dragonfly Red is arriving today and i hope it fixes at least a part of the above problems.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #7,005 of 10,196
Anybody got some good EQ settings for Equalizer APO and the Nighthawks? I love those HPs but the midbass is really distracting in some Genres and Songs (good example is "Metallica - Spit Out The Bone", where the drums almost sound distorted and not clean at all)
Also female voices sound a bit manly sometimes :d

i know Dale Thorn fixed this with his EQ settings, but hes not using Equalizer APO but some iphone only app and i dont really know if i just can copy paste his numbers to Equalizer APO.

PS: on a sidenote my Dragonfly Red is arriving today and i hope it fixes at least a part of the above problems.

Cheers!
Change the pads with brainwavez velours and you will fix all the issues that you mention

Users who are viewing this thread

Back