Audeze LCD-X
May 19, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #9,376 of 12,748
I'll try to make a parallel point to explain my perspective. While trying to listen to a few different setups in preparation for an upcoming meet, I listened to HD800S and HD650. I'm, of course, opting to go with the HD800S because I find it to be a better headphone. However, I do not find the HD800S to be a universally better headphone versus the HD650. The HD800S is cleaner, less grainy, and clearer in its presentation - in particular through the mids to highs. It has bass, and probably dives deeper into the bass versus the HD650. However, there is, in my opinion, just a nice balance from lows to highs, and in height, width, depth of the presentation through the HD650. I feel the HD800S adds more, but does not add quite as linearly as does the HD650. The HD800S is more for the highs, I feel.

In contrast, a few weekends ago I was able to listen to LCD2 and both generations of the LCD-X. If it matters, a friend brought his 2014 (2013 original version), while mine is a 2017 (2016 updated version). Though these sounded different from each other, they were still both, in my opinion, significantly better than the LCD-2. And unlike the HD800S/HD650, I felt the LCD-X (both versions) were in every way possible better than the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is quite the bargain, and still has the Audeze house sound. But the LCD-X simply extends in both directions, highs and lows, and fills in details across the spectrum, while not losing any sense of balance (i.e. the highs don't dominate, the lows don't dominate). So I agree with the original post that the LCD-X is a complete upgrade versus the LCD-2.

May 19, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #9,377 of 12,748
I'll try to make a parallel point to explain my perspective. While trying to listen to a few different setups in preparation for an upcoming meet, I listened to HD800S and HD650. I'm, of course, opting to go with the HD800S because I find it to be a better headphone. However, I do not find the HD800S to be a universally better headphone versus the HD650. The HD800S is cleaner, less grainy, and clearer in its presentation - in particular through the mids to highs. It has bass, and probably dives deeper into the bass versus the HD650. However, there is, in my opinion, just a nice balance from lows to highs, and in height, width, depth of the presentation through the HD650. I feel the HD800S adds more, but does not add quite as linearly as does the HD650. The HD800S is more for the highs, I feel.

In contrast, a few weekends ago I was able to listen to LCD2 and both generations of the LCD-X. If it matters, a friend brought his 2014 (2013 original version), while mine is a 2017 (2016 updated version). Though these sounded different from each other, they were still both, in my opinion, significantly better than the LCD-2. And unlike the HD800S/HD650, I felt the LCD-X (both versions) were in every way possible better than the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is quite the bargain, and still has the Audeze house sound. But the LCD-X simply extends in both directions, highs and lows, and fills in details across the spectrum, while not losing any sense of balance (i.e. the highs don't dominate, the lows don't dominate). So I agree with the original post that the LCD-X is a complete upgrade versus the LCD-2.
wish i could audition the X or XC as people praised the LCD3 and to me it sound a bit cold compared to the warm lush sound of LCD2, yes LCD3 has more details but in the process it lost that magical sound of LCD2. I know some might ask if I am so happy with LCD2 why then look elsewhere, well its because if there is another one which adds more bass and sound stage and maintain the same amazing house sound then I am for it. I trust all you said and believe that the X is better but its the question is a colder more analytical headphone if yes then its not for me.

May 19, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #9,378 of 12,748
i do not find the lcd2 lacking in detail at all, and in general i love more lush warm sounding headphones, and it seems from your description that lcd x is has more brightness to it
i care more about full layered mids and bass than anything else, unless I am misunderstanding your post

As i said i was coming from HD800 so my ears are used to extreme details in the sound. I just found LCD2 a little less detailed or seperation of instruments not as clear. I would suggest to try out LCDX at a headphone shop, if you have one near by. The voices are more forward in LCDX compared to LCD2 laid back nature so it may not be of your liking. However i wouldnt call it bright like HD800. It has tight bass and fast impact compared to deep bass of LCD3. It still has audeze sound signature and nice mids.

May 19, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #9,379 of 12,748
As i said i was coming from HD800 so my ears are used to extreme details in the sound. I just found LCD2 a little less detailed or seperation of instruments not as clear. I would suggest to try out LCDX at a headphone shop, if you have one near by. The voices are more forward in LCDX compared to LCD2 laid back nature so it may not be of your liking. However i wouldnt call it bright like HD800. It has tight bass and fast impact compared to deep bass of LCD3. It still has audeze sound signature and nice mids.
if i had a shop to audition them i would have done it long time ago, but really thanks for trying to help as much as possible as i know how difficult it is to translate sound impression into words

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #9,381 of 12,748
May 19, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #9,383 of 12,748
the Deckard is a DAC/amp combo, the LC is an amp only. That might make a big difference. Dunno much about the ican pro.
is there more than one deckard version , so which one to buy
what dac is in it i hope its not sabre dac

May 19, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #9,384 of 12,748
May 19, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #9,386 of 12,748
May 19, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #9,387 of 12,748
Sound Eq it is hard to say. I would say in general there might be differences even in the same models of LCD. But in general from my experiences LCD2 (I had one of the first version) is the most warm from LCD line and if someone do not like this sound character you will have to find system which is more on the brigher neutral side otherwise you will feel something is not ok (sometime too thick sound, technic could be better, kind of closed feel) but even with this for me big negatives I really loved LCD2 in past, it sounded quite natural and very very nice. LCDX have clearly better dynamic, tonal, clean and separation and overall is more advance adult headphone, if you do not have optimal/quality system for LCD3 I beleive most people will prefer LCDX, it plays big sound even with all in one sources, LCD3 not, LCD3 is the most difficult to drive from this three in my opinion and for this reason you can feel that sound can be emptier.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #9,388 of 12,748
ok I got the burson V2+ oh my lord what a huge upgrade and change in sound with LCD2, I know I should post this in lcd2 thread but thought about sharing. What an amazing amazing sound, I never heard things like this before this is my first desktop dac/amp so powerful and amzing sound as it was made for audeze lcd2, most of amp i used to own were portable ones. I have literally ever experienced this such a huge jump in sound quality ever. What mojo or hugo, what ifi dsd those do not even come an inch close to burson v2+

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #9,389 of 12,748
Thanks for the reply!
Enough wiggle room for detailed volume control, or are the steps huge/large?
Probably going for the Milo nonetheless :p
About 10 steps to 9:00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back