Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
May 22, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,371 of 7,352
Is there any impressions of the iSine10 vs iSine20? What I've seen so far, there is a difference, but probably not $200 worth. Just trying to gauge where money is better spent. I'm not on iOS, so Cypher cable makes little difference in the impression to me.

Unfortunately, the only "somewhat" credible source has been "Z" reviews... and I'm not a big fan of his reviews...

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,372 of 7,352
Is there any impressions of the iSine10 vs iSine20? What I've seen so far, there is a difference, but probably not $200 worth. Just trying to gauge where money is better spent. I'm not on iOS, so Cypher cable makes little difference in the impression to me.

Unfortunately, the only "somewhat" credible source has been "Z" reviews... and I'm not a big fan of his reviews...

While I can't comment on the 10 vs 20, I think getting a used iPod Touch+Lightning would be a pretty cool & inexpensive pairing. By all reports, it seems you have to spend quite a bit on a rig to outperform the Cipher+iSine and would lose the ultra portable factor of that rig. If you already have a nice DAP or portable DAC/AMP probably cool to stick with it but if you get a used iPod for around $100 and the Cipher for $50, you should be in a great position for a custom tuned portable rig around $150 for the iSine.

May 22, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,373 of 7,352

Here is what I wrote back in february

"The 20 is simply not worth the retail $200 markup over the 10. I get a little better instrument separation on the 20. Treble is a little toned down vs the 10 with treble overall being cleaner, less splashy. If I squint my ears, maybe there's some more bass impact and speed. Soundstage is the same on both units, maybe feeling a hair smaller on the 20 because of the treble being a notch lower. Overall the majority of the sound difference is in the treble region and it's not a huge enough change to warrant $200 more"

And honestly, I may've been just tricking myself, that's how slight the difference was. The i20 really feels like a cash grab to me, but it looks pretty and I got it for nearly the same price of an i10 so I returned my i10.

May 22, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,374 of 7,352
that link shows a cable with mmcx connectors?

The description is different to the images

Maybe the link isn't working correctly for you. The cable I ordered was "Earphone Cable With Mic Remote For Westone ES3X ES5 UM2 UM3XRC UM3x W4R 4" and it shows 2-pin connectors for me, not MMCX

May 22, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #2,375 of 7,352
There is quite a bit of EQ on the cipher cable, up to +6db in some places(4khz I believe). There's a post back around page 83 or so with the EQ curve used in the default cipher sound.

To clarify, even when the audeze app is set flat, there's still a pretty large EQ being applied.
+6db at 4khz that is a bit worrying as that's exactly the region that gives a metallic sound that is a bit harsh to some

May 22, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2,376 of 7,352
Maybe the link isn't working correctly for you. The cable I ordered was "Earphone Cable With Mic Remote For Westone ES3X ES5 UM2 UM3XRC UM3x W4R 4" and it shows 2-pin connectors for me, not MMCX
That was my concern, those IEMs all have an mmcx connector, not a 2-pin.

May 22, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #2,379 of 7,352
So I just got in a pair of Isine 10's today that I purchased here on the site. When plugging in the cypher, worked great, however I noticed the issue with the volume being too loud at 3 bars, so I remembered the update that was mentioned to version 5.0 or so. I noticed my version was 3.0 or so and I requested an update. It updated me to 4.0, still though had the volume issue. Offered and update, after it installed told me I was on 3.0 again..... so I though maybe it's because my iPhone needs the new software update, so I performed the new apple software update.... now the cypher cable is not being recognized at all, I only get an error that states "Error. Download failed 'key' name can not be empty" which I am guessing it's doing this because it does not see the cypher cable hooked up and I'm trying to update it. Any ideas as to what is going on guys?

The cypher cable was working perfectly but I could not get the 5.0 update and then the new Apple software update made the cypher cable not be found.

Thanks for any help,

James

May 22, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,380 of 7,352
Ended up ordering the iSine 10 today from RazorDog. Was eyeing the deal on the 20s for $529 (w/ lightning cable), but because of my tight budget currently and a pair of demo 10s for $289 (w/o lightning cable), I went with the 10s.

Now, if they finally come out with a USB-C Cipher cable, I'd be ecstatic. Don't want to carry a portable rig and my Axon 7 screen got wet and went out, so i'm stuck with a Nexus 6P and LG G5 both of witch have crappy 3.5mm audio performance.

USB-C Cipher cable please!!!!!!............

When you wear the iSine does it affect your breathing at all and sound like you've got a cold? You can get a similar sensation when wearing earbuds like the Apple Earpods. I wondered if the iSine has a similar feel or if it is like an open headphone.

Huh?

I ordered this cable with a mic and remote a few weeks ago:

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5016

Still waiting on it, but I'll give my impressions when it arrives

I'm not an expensive cable guy, most of my cable are less than about $25 bucks and I've felt they all sounded as good as stock. Except for a cable identical to that one. I felt it delivered a less clarity than my other cables. Hopefully it was a fluke, but make sure you give it a good listen when it arrives.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #2,381 of 7,352
So Audeze's new groovy tips arrived in the mail - and out of all of the tips I've tried with my iSine 20 so far (and there have been many) I will say that these have made the single biggest improvement to their sound.

I love the 20 but the main criticism I have of them, sound-wise, is that while it has a well-extended treble, its upper midrange isn't really its forte & it can come across as being somewhat unfocused and veiled. This is especially noticeable with the 3.5mm cable.

The new tips take care of that completely. They lift that veil and tidy up those exact frequencies and make them noticeably cleaner, faster and more impactful.

So far I've found the difference to be most stark in piano music. Having played the piano for more than 30 years now, I've never been convinced by how the 20 rendered pianos - it never conveyed adequately the sonic impact of hammers striking each note.

Using these groovy tips is the auditory equivalent of triggering autofocus in a camera.

I won't be going back to the old ones.

===

Full disclosure: I received these tips at no cost. Audeze were in the process of sending me a replacement iSine cable and I asked about the tips as they had not yet been listed for sale at the time, and Chris Berens was so good as to throw in a packet of them.

Thank you Chris and Audeze for the amazing customer service for someone who lives halfway across the world from them.
Could you provide a photo?
Is "groovy tips" the name I could order them by?

May 23, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #2,383 of 7,352
May 23, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #2,384 of 7,352
While I have read the thred from page 1 and understand that the isine 10 & 20 are in a sort of grey area between IEM's and full size headphones, I have to wonder about how they compare to the Monolith M1060.

Has anyone heard both the isine (specifically 10 is preferred but either) and the Monolith M1060? I'm interested in their differences since they are priced similarly.

Thank you in advance.

May 23, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #2,385 of 7,352
While I have read the thred from page 1 and understand that the isine 10 & 20 are in a sort of grey area between IEM's and full size headphones, I have to wonder about how they compare to the Monolith M1060.

Has anyone heard both the isine (specifically 10 is preferred but either) and the Monolith M1060? I'm interested in their differences since they are priced similarly.

Thank you in advance.

Have a read of the comments and also it's mentioned in the review that Zeos released a couple of days ago:

He's a big fan of the M1060 but basically grabs the iSine 10 when going 'mobile'. Seems to say they're very very similar. Also says that the extra cash needed for the iSine 20 only gives you a maybe 5% performance increase IHHO

HOWEVER, bear in mind he only tested these using the 3.5mm connector, not the Cipher cable with DSP which might make a bigger difference between the two

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back