Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #106 of 711
I know that a number of people, myself included, were a bit disappointed that EL-8C wasn't bundled with a hardshell carry case.  Even so EL-series is built like a tank, it's not the most convenient to carry around in a bag.  I tried it with a few generic cases, but it was either too tight or too loose, and you want to avoid this considering planar magnetic nature of the drivers.  Recently, I few people pinged me asking what do I think about new case Audeze released for EL headphones as an add-on accessory, I finally got it, and want to share with you my impression.

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/el-8-travel-case

To be honest, I was a bit skeptical considering $39 price tag.  Keeping in mind a premium status and build quality of Audeze headphones, one would expect such an accessory to be priced a lot higher, but I'm glad they kept it real.  The case itself has a hard EVA shell with rich exterior fabric design and a soft velvet lining.  One side has a mesh pocket to hold the cable or other accessories, and you also get a padded spacer attached to the inner side of the case with a velcro.  It has a quality zipper and also a handle to carry it around.  The case itself is rather light, about 260 grams, with slightly oval shape and dimensions of about 9" x 8.25".

So far so good, right?  Well, not exactly.  I mean, fitment should be self-explanatory, and it almost looks like you can place EL-8C either horizontally or vertically inside of the case.  I tried it both waves, with and without spacer, and still felt like it was too snug, to the point where I had to apply some pressure to close it.  I literally had to squeeze headphones together to fit them in, until I realized there is a little trick to it; at least it worked for me and I'm VERY happy with a fitment now.  Just forget about the spacer since it adds "thickness" making it hard to close the case.  Since earcups are attached to the headband yoke on one side only, the yoke part doesn't go all the way around.  Thus, when you place earcups with that part of yoke facing toward each other and overlapping - you get extra fitment room.  Boom!  Problem solved!

The fitment is still snug and secure, but now you don't have to push or squeeze anything in.  Case zips up easily without a problem, and there is plenty of room for a cable in a pocket.

Though it worked well for me and I'm happy with it, I would still recommend Audeze to take a look if they can make this case a little bit wider and taller so there is not extra effort to fit in those spacers which I would have loved to use with this case design.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #107 of 711
Thanks for the review... I always enjoy your reviews.

I'd like to add a comment about this case...I agree with all of what was said in this review but one thing. If you use this case without the spacer and put the headphones in with the aluminum arms toward the inside, the arms will hit each other and over time the black anodize will wear off from hitting each other...

On another note, I really think its poor of Audeze to NOT include this case as part of the EL-8 purchase. For $699 there is NO reason not to. Just my $0.02.

Thanks, Brian

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #108 of 711
Yeah mine are already pretty scuffed up due to the poor protection the provided bag gives (it doesn't help that the black anodize scratches of way too easily). I'll have to look into a way to repair the scratches soon (not physical scratches with depth, just missing black).

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #109 of 711
Yeah mine are already pretty scuffed up due to the poor protection the provided bag gives (it doesn't help that the black anodize scratches of way too easily). I'll have to look into a way to repair the scratches soon (not physical scratches with depth, just missing black).

Yes...not to mention that when you zip it closed you need to be careful of the zipper hitting the phones as well. I've only had my EL-8C for about two weeks and I am freakishly careful with them. I'm starting to see some of the anodizing coming off near the edges already.

I ordered an OPPO PM-3 to try...probably get those later this week...

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #110 of 711
Hi twister6 You sir are a genius. That is called thinking outside of the box, or is it case!

I nearly broke the zip on my case trying to squash these damned things in. With your sideways method now they fit perfectly and I'm able to close the case easily. I was a bit worried about not having the spacer in there but they seem safe enough in there and much safer than when I used to use just the cloth case that came with the headphones.

Thanks again!!!

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #111 of 711
(posting this in all the EL-8 threads)

I need a Balanced EL-8 cable that terminates in 4-pin XLR. So far these are the only two options I've figured out:

http://www.c3audio.com/store/p99/Audeze_EL-8_Headphone_Cable_--_Canare.html

or

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/el-8-balanced-cable-astell-kern
+
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Hypershort-Eidolic-Astell-Kern-ak240-ak380-ak120-ak-240-380-120-adapter

The first option comes out to be $100 and the second $125. Are there any cheaper cables or adapters out there or are these my only two choices?

If these are my only two choices, which do you think is the best route? The adapter I may find a use for in the future, but the custom cable may perform better?

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #113 of 711
Well... After having both the EL-8C and the OPPO PM-3 (for a little over a week) I sent the PM-3 back. It was a very nice headphone for the money but in my opinion the EL-8C simply sounded more real. It conveyed considerably more space than the PM-3. The PM-3 seemed a bit more rolled off at the top end. It also had a lower midrange/midbass bloat than the EL-8C. Nothing bad just a bit more/much when compared to the EL-8C. I'll be keeping the EL-8C!

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #114 of 711
Well... After having both the EL-8C and the OPPO PM-3 (for a little over a week) I sent the PM-3 back. It was a very nice headphone for the money but in my opinion the EL-8C simply sounded more real. It conveyed considerably more space than the PM-3. The PM-3 seemed a bit more rolled off at the top end. It also had a lower midrange/midbass bloat than the EL-8C. Nothing bad just a bit more/much when compared to the EL-8C. I'll be keeping the EL-8C!

Try some speaker padding or even some tissue under the pads, you get even more space

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #116 of 711

They are double the price of the PM3 though ... or at least they are in the UK !  
They are not comparable in my view ... but the PM3 are 'easier' to listen to.  I have PM3 and EL-8 Open btw. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #117 of 711
  They are double the price of the PM3 though ... or at least they are in the UK !  
They are not comparable in my view ... but the PM3 are 'easier' to listen to.  I have PM3 and EL-8 Open btw. 

The closed version and the PM 3 are definitely comparable and the EL-8 sounds noticeably better imo-but you still have that cable/connector issue with EL-8 that offsets a lot of other things

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #118 of 711

I do understand about the price difference... However the reality is that the PM-3 new is always $399usd... The retail price of the EL-8C is $699usd and can be had new for around $575-600usd. So the price difference ends up being only around $200usd different.

That aside the PM-3 are VERY capable for the $$$. I am looking for some relatively portable closed cans for work. So far I haven't found anything better that is about the same size or weight (or less). I'd really love to go with the LCD-XC but they are just too big and heavy for my application. I was at RMAF in October and tried a few out. The EL-8C was the most impressive that met my criteria... At least of what was there to try.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #119 of 711
 The closed version and the PM 3 are definitely comparable and the EL-8 sounds noticeably better imo-but you still have that cable/connector issue with EL-8 that offsets a lot of other things

I do not like the connectors on the EL-8C. It is not very positive and I hope that over time they do not become troublesome. This was a deterrent in making the decision to purchase these but I was willing to give em a chance. So far so good with about 4 weeks at work using them nearly 4-5hrs/day. One does need to be careful with them however.

I also do have the slight crackling in the cups that has been spoken of. Only when you move just right or as you move the cups in and out from your ear (a slight vacuum is being created during this movement which is perhaps flexing the diaphragm... my guess) will you hear that. In my set the left cup makes more of this noise on occasion than the right one. I haven't heard any sound degradation up to this point.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #120 of 711
I do understand about the price difference... However the reality is that the PM-3 new is always $399usd... The retail price of the EL-8C is $699usd and can be had new for around $575-600usd. So the price difference ends up being only around $200usd different.

That aside the PM-3 are VERY capable for the $$$. I am looking for some relatively portable closed cans for work. So far I haven't found anything better that is about the same size or weight (or less). I'd really love to go with the LCD-XC but they are just too big and heavy for my application. I was at RMAF in October and tried a few out. The EL-8C was the most impressive that met my criteria... At least of what was there to try.

Ether C is is very light-much lighter than the EL-8C and the connectors are rock solid. The drawback is you will probably need a headphone amp and also it doesn't have as much bass as the EL-8C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back