New Site Platform Bug Reports and Feedback Thread
Apr 27, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #33 of 1,045
At first glance the visual changes are none too bad in my opinion, except what jumps out is the ads relative to forum space. On my PC with Chromium the 'Noble strip' with its 29 models(!) takes up 1/3rd of the width of my work space including avatar. Too crammed.

I suggest a 50% reduction of current ad size which will still get the company's message accross by being visual all the time. This definitely also goes for the ZMF top logo and Jerry Harvey's. Or make them less colourful.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #34 of 1,045
I loved the old forum.
Now i can't find reviews, i can't just enter a product name in the serach field and filter the results for reviews rather than discussion threads.
I can't find my subbed threads too.

:triportsad:

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #35 of 1,045
  1. Home page doesn't show me as logged in even though I am.
  2. Where the **** is the 'mark all read' option?
  3. Reading on the iPad using Safari - the main forum group listing page is fine, but when you go in to one of the sub forum groups (e.g. Equipment), things go pear shaped, and you get part of the 'important posts' page you get in the actual sub forums appearing underneath the name.
  4. Some of the ads are not suitable, i.e. lots of dating web sites.
  5. What happens to the clickable 'breadcrumb' forum list that used to be at the top of each page? For example, at the top of this page, there's a link to go back to the parent forum 'Feedback & Bug Reports', but not further back up the navigation tree - you used to be able to go straight back to the top level main forum page with one click. EDIT - just realised you can click on the head-if logo at the top, but that doesn't help if you want to go to an intermediate level.
Edit v2 - didn't realise that I was in the mobile theme, switching to desktop appears to have solved 1nd 5 above.
Please look in to these and fix them asap :).

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #37 of 1,045
I really don't like the new layout, on most forums i'm used to visit i was never conservative on layout changes but on Headfi it's just awful.

- I was surprised to see that my signature was an old one from years ago and my recent sig has disappeared.
- it takes ages now to scroll down messages, as the new layout makes posts bigger on screen, it may be easier to read but it's a waste of pixels imho.
- the new quoting system sucks, editing posts also.
- ads and commercials are bigger, may be commercialy interesting for Headfi but not for the users.
- where is the posts count ?
- login via Facebook disappeared, nice, it took me an hour to figure out my password and finally gave up asking for password reset

I guess i'll get used to all the changes, but the first impression is negative so far.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #38 of 1,045
The layout is quite a bit wider as @Stillhart pointed out but also I'm now missing either 3 or 4 buyer/seller/trader feedback. It says I've only 4 since the update.

Also, I'm now having a ridiculously difficult time logging in. The site either won't recognize me or when it logs me in finally it very quickly logs me back out either immediately or when I go to post on something it says I must be logged in to complete the action.

EDIT 1:

I seem to only be able to locate roughly 10 of my over 40 reviews I've submitted. Where can I find the reviews I've submitted?

The ads are overwhelming now. I feel like I'm logging into a spam site with all the ads now. I understand business and the desire to make more money but daggon.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #39 of 1,045
Previously posted embedded (YouTube) videos are just displaying as thumbnail images. Embedded Soundcloud + Bandcamp players are not showing up at all and, it seems, can't be embedded anymore in new posts. This is particularly felt on the Music forum where video-heavy threads have hundreds of pages of posts that can no longer be seen. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already - I would have searched the thread to check... but oops, the 'Search Thread' feature has been removed.

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #40 of 1,045
Mobile theme/ABP and zoom set to 80-90%. Fixes the aesthetics IMHO.

The desktop theme is very poor since it uses a fixed width and won't expand with the browser. This is very basic - give the user control. Nobody uses 4:3 any more and for the most part I'd say everyone prefers landscape. 4K displays are now fairly common, and HF is not taking advantage of that yet.

I don't even really use the front/landing page. Just link right into the forums with a bookmark and your done. Just bookmark everything you need and use that to avoid the landing page. Did I mention you should avoid the landing page?
Whoever designed the current landing page, well, I have nothing but nasty things to say about that, but mom taught me better. But if it was not a tech who designed it on a whim, and it was actually passed by a group of people - then those "yes men" really need replacement.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #41 of 1,045
This... looks... atrocious.

j8W6dZp.png

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #42 of 1,045
May I suggest you have a word with your ad broker and tell them NO MORE DATING ADS.

As it is, head-fi is NSFW, and hardly viewable at home, either; garish, flashing ads make head-fi look terrible, seedy and cheap.

If the old model didn't bring in enough money, may I suggest a subscription model to lose the ads for paying subscribers?

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #43 of 1,045
I am usually a fan of change, but this is a bit much. Tough login and hard to get at subscribed threads which is where I go 95% of the time. Could you folks highlight some of the "pluses" coming from the redesign?

Shane D

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #44 of 1,045
Yes a bit of info about the thought behind why this change was needed would be nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back