Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 26, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #8,986 of 9,526
Anyone know of a good affordable DAC/AMP that will work with a Google Pixel phone (stock) as well as with Spotify?

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #8,987 of 9,526
Hi to all from the sunny Spain.

I think I´m a little late for this and I´m sure It may discussed before but I need to ask:

In my old Motorola Moto G (running Android 5) when I plugged the DAC (Topping D1 MkII) the sound couldn´t be controled by the phone (for example the volume). Now in my LG Android 7 I can manage the sound of the Topping from the Mobile (eq and volume it´s affected). It this change affect in the sound quality? Maybe it´s my ears, but I perceive better sound from the DAC connected to the Moto G than the LG. It is possible?

Sounds like Moto G is outputting bit perfect and probably why it sounds better.

What player are you using with your phones?

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #8,988 of 9,526
Anyone know of a good affordable DAC/AMP that will work with a Google Pixel phone (stock) as well as with Spotify?
The old Sony Z smartphones used to output all audio through usb when the option was enabled. This was the only phone to do this and none do it these days as far as I know. You will need to use some sort of app like onkyo HF player or UAPP.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #8,992 of 9,526
Hey Guys, i got a LG G6 non Quad DAC and want to have a really good Quality. The Zuperdac for example uses the same Sabre 9018 Chip as the LG V10. Would the G6 with Zuperdac sound as good as the V10? I know it wont be as good as the Quad DAC, but how big would be the difference between non DAC and Superdac? I'm having root, could i make my phone to play via USB by default then?

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #8,994 of 9,526
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #8,995 of 9,526
The old Sony Z smartphones used to output all audio through usb when the option was enabled. This was the only phone to do this and none do it these days as far as I know. You will need to use some sort of app like onkyo HF player or UAPP.

Yup. I got fed up with the Android upsampling issue so got a used Xperia Z3 Compact off Ebay, reverted it back to Android 4.4.4 (Sony took away the true usb audio out option in future Android versions), and adhered it to my Mojo and couldn't be happier.

9856965.jpg

UAPP is nice, but I need Tidal offline. I have weak internet signal at work, cannot stream HiFi quality through UAPP. Really sucks that this is the only solution. It shouldn't be that way. I do like the combo though, it's almost like a DAP (a clunky one). And it frees up my primary phone and it's battery.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #8,996 of 9,526
Yup. I got fed up with the Android upsampling issue so got a used Xperia Z3 Compact off Ebay, reverted it back to Android 4.4.4 (Sony took away the true usb audio out option in future Android versions), and adhered it to my Mojo and couldn't be happier.
Welcome to the club. Got a Z3 on eBay late last year. Use it with my dragonfly red. Looking to possibly pick up Mytek clef DAC in Q4 when it releases. Love Today offline but MQA through UAPP is a great feature I'd like to try if the mytrk is as good as I hope. Love my Z3 as a DAP, great storage capability, just add a DAC and you are set. Bit perfect playback

9856965.jpg

UAPP is nice, but I need Tidal offline. I have weak internet signal at work, cannot stream HiFi quality through UAPP. Really sucks that this is the only solution. It shouldn't be that way. I do like the combo though, it's almost like a DAP (a clunky one). And it frees up my primary phone and it's battery.

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #8,997 of 9,526
I've got a Huawei P9, DFB 1.5, and Senn HD650.
It works out of the box (with otg cable), but isn't really any better than straight from the phone's headphone jack.

Do I need an app like usb audio player pro to get the most out of the DFB, or is that app only needed if output via usb isn't working in the first place?

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #8,998 of 9,526
I've got a Huawei P9, DFB 1.5, and Senn HD650.
It works out of the box (with otg cable), but isn't really any better than straight from the phone's headphone jack.

Do I need an app like usb audio player pro to get the most out of the DFB, or is that app only needed if output via usb isn't working in the first place?
The PRIMARY reason for UAPP is to bypass Android hijacking the audio and upsampling everything before it even gets to the DAC. It's an issue in Android. UAPP takes the pure signal and sends it to the DAC for bit perfect playback. You can hear the difference. There are some other devices that do this without UAPP, mainly Sony Zx2 and Zx3 phones on Android 4.4.4 I purchased a used ZX3 just to use as a digital audio player with my Dragonfly Red. For streaming Tidal or locally stored files, UAPP is the way to go if you are using an Android phone with a USB DAC. Will still play over Android audio system, but not sound quite as good

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #9,000 of 9,526
Thank you.So is there no point if streaming from Spotify?
Dragonfly will work with all streaming apps. The sound difference will depend on source. On Android running through Android audio there is still a sq increase, just not as large as if it was bit perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back