`
Sep 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #76 of 254
Quote:
Wow nice supra-aural collection! And the 650s are of course a classic. :)

I'm looking forward to the Momentum. Hoping Sennheiser hits it out of the park with that one. If not there is always the M-100 or the R1.

Thanks!  

And +1 on the Momentum, M-100 and R1, i'm looking forward to hearing reviews on all three  =)

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #77 of 254
AKG are proud to announce new AKG by Tiesto headphone line
9th September '12

In an introduction that marries creative inspiration from the world's leading DJ with advanced audio and technical design from the world's preeminent headphone manufacturer, HARMAN today announces the “AKG by TIËSTO” range of headphones that feature tuning and styling directed by legendary DJ and producer TIËSTO. Comprising three high-performance professional-grade headphones, the TIËSTO Series will appeal to a broad range of end users, from studio engineers, to artists, fans and TIËSTO himself - whether in the studio, at a show or on the go.
The AKG by TIËSTO headphones are being announced globally during the PLASA show in London, UK. (HARMAN / Sound Technology Ltd stand 1-E-21)
Tiesto_withk267.jpg

With more than 350 million total views on YouTube, 12.8 million+ fans on Facebook and over 1.3 million followers on Twitter, TIËSTO is one of the most influential DJs in the world. His achievements have ranged from playing at the opening of the 2004 Olympics to an audience of billions, to Grammy® Award nominations and the coveted title of ‘Greatest DJ Of All Time', bestowed on him by Mixmag. As well as running his own label, Musical Freedom, TIËSTO is constantly travelling around the globe, playing over 250 shows a year to millions of fans.
“AKG is rooted in the passion for music at the same time as having a unique eye for design and style,” TIËSTO says. “Together we've created a line of headphones that are perfect for those who want the best quality of sound, but don't wish to compromise on style, whether you're looking to mix in the studio, perform live or even listen when you're on the move.”
The line of three headphones, K67 TIËSTO (High-Performance), K167 TIËSTO (Professional) and K267 TIËSTO (Reference) all provide users with a sound fitting for the global phenom, TIËSTO himself.
K67 TIËSTO's on-ear design is ideal for home recording, project studios, live sound and rehearsal applications, offering a high noise attenuation. The compact design delivers sound quality wherever necessary, even outdoors.
K167 TIËSTO is an over-ear, closed-back design for high comfort and maximum noise rejection. Suitable for multiple applications, from the stage to the studio, DJs and music enthusiasts will enjoy the stunning design and impressive sound quality, even in loud environments. Its 40mm driver allows for higher sound pressure levels, while its roadworthy design provides maximum reliability.

Photo above: AKG K167 TIËSTO - click for hi-res version

K267 TIËSTO offers an over-ear, closed-back design, with an oversized low resonance driver, providing a higher SPL, while still maintaining a matched low frequency bass response. Its user-adjustable bass boost keeps sound neutral or maximizes deeper sub-bass frequencies when prompted. With high-quality materials and superior workmanship, K267's sound quality raises the bar for the professional DJ with the best performance without compromise. K267's Dual Plug-In feature allows the user to attach the cable to either side for maximum comfort. In addition, each set boasts 3D-Axis folding mechanisms for optimum fitting and flat storage.

Photo above: AKG K267 TIËSTO - click for hi-res version

Commenting on the announcement Thomas Stubics, product marketing manager, AKG noted, “The AKG by TIËSTO headphones will convey an entirely new level of performance to the DJ profession. Every aspect of the TIËSTO headphones encompasses the style, emotion and heart TIËSTO provides his audiences, live or on a record. Working with TIËSTO allows AKG to extend its reputation of quality and reliability directly to the DJ and producer himself, ensuring shows and albums are at peak performance.”
AKG is distributed in the UK/ROI by Sound Technology Ltd - 01462 480000, www.soundtech.co.uk

AKG links
  1. More AKG K67 TIËSTO product information
  2. More AKG K167 TIËSTO product information
  3. More AKG K267 TIËSTO product information

TIËSTO links
  1. www.facebook.com/tiesto
  2. http://www.youtube.com/user/officialtiesto
  3. www.twitter.com/tiesto
a:0:{} a:5:Not Processed at this time [size=smaller][size=x-small]With more than 350 million total views on YouTube, over 12.8 million fans on Facebook and more than 1.3 million followers on Twitter, TIËSTO is one of the most influential DJs in the world. His achievements have ranged from playing at the opening of the 2004 Olympics to an audience of billions, to Grammy® Award nominations and the coveted title of ‘Greatest DJ Of All Time’, bestowed on him by Mixmag. As well as running his own label, Musical Freedom, TIËSTO is constantly travelling around the globe, playing over 250 shows a year to millions of fans.The “AKG by TIËSTO” headphones range features tuning and styling directed by legendary DJ and producer TIËSTO. Comprising three high-performance professional-grade headphones, the TIËSTO Series will appeal to a broad range of end users, from studio engineers, to artists, fans and TIËSTO himself - whether in the studio, at a show or on the go.[/size][/size] a:3:Not Processed at this time a:3:Not Processed at this time

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #78 of 254
Great.........now I need to add the Tiesto to my list of most wanted cans, as if the list wasn't long enough already.  I like how the user-adjustable bass/soundstage isn't just level #s, but selected as environments.

M-100 is ahead in the hype war, but I think I am now more interested in the Tiesto 267 than Momentum.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #79 of 254
Matrim thanks for those honest and in-depth impressions, especially regarding the comparison between the Amps and the HDs. My impressions of the HDs, M-80s, and DT1350s match yours as well. Love the photo too!

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #80 of 254
It's getting crowded in the closed portable space

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #81 of 254
Damn - I'm liking the idea of being able to switch the "sound mode" but I'm curious about how well it will work in practice.

Right now - from highest hopes to lowest, my top 4 on the list would be...
  1. V-MODA VTF-100 (Ordered it, so it will be the first I hear. I like -FWIR- the customization and strength, worried about the leakage/isolation)
  2. AKG K267 TIËSTO (Liking the modular nature of the sound - if it works - and the style is mature, not too flashy, a big +)
  3. SONY MDR1-1R & 1RNC (Hoping that Sony hits a high note with these, and hoping even more that someone finally makes a good NC can)
  4. Sennheiser Momentum (I like the classy style, but I've never really been too much of a huge fan of the Sennheiser sound)

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #82 of 254
What's the Vmoda 100 supposed to sound like? If it rolls off highs and bumps up bass like the M80, I'll pass
smile_phones.gif

If its neutral and detailed and fast, I'm interested.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #83 of 254
Quote:
Damn - I'm liking the idea of being able to switch the "sound mode" but I'm curious about how well it will work in practice.

Right now - from highest hopes to lowest, my top 4 on the list would be...
  1. V-MODA VTF-100 (Ordered it, so it will be the first I hear. I like -FWIR- the customization and strength, worried about the leakage/isolation)
  2. AKG K267 TIËSTO (Liking the modular nature of the sound - if it works - and the style is mature, not too flashy, a big +)
  3. SONY MDR1-1R & 1RNC (Hoping that Sony hits a high note with these, and hoping even more that someone finally makes a good NC can)
  4. Sennheiser Momentum (I like the classy style, but I've never really been too much of a huge fan of the Sennheiser sound)

No price yet for the akg's yet so who knows what the sound will be like they should be good though!

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #86 of 254
I picked up an Amperior last week, and after spending some time with it I can report that I am happy with the purchase. I agree with Craigster75 on most of his observations, they probably are a little over priced for what you get, the soundstage is typical of a closed supra aural can, and lack some of the detail in the upper mids/trebles compared to some other $300+ cans. That said however, for a truly portable set of headphones I think these perform remarkably well and are very detailed and "fun" sounding. For my use I wouldn't compare them to headphones like the M100s, K550s or even the D600s because i'd probably never wear any of those out of the house. I would directly compare the Amperiors to other truly portable cans like the M80, DT1350, and HD25 all of which I also own.

I hear a lot of people asking for a comparison to the HD25-iis, and whether or not they're worth the extra money. To my ears, I agree with some people here that they do sound better than the HD25s, although I would say the difference is not a big one. The best way I can describe it is that the HD-25s really do need amplification to get the most out of them, while the Amperiors do not (although they also benefit from an amp). Listening to the HD-25 directly from my Macbook Pro the mids and treble sound a little recessed and veiled to my ears, and plugging them into my NuForce Icon HDP opens it up and even makes the base a little tighter (although the base is pretty darn good on the HD25). The Amperiors are a little tighter and detailed plugged right into my iPhone or laptop, and when plugged into my NuForce it opens up even more especially with female vocals although the difference isn't as noticeable as with the HD25.

I've listened to HD-25s for many years and they have always been my "go to" portable can--until the M80 and DT1350 came out. I liked the M80 slightly better in all areas comapred to the HD25, and I think the DT1350 is pretty hard to beat (for a compact closed supra aural) for acoustic, jazz, and female vocal music, although I like them less for other genres of music (I listen to a lot of electronic, metal and rock which the M80 and Amperior excel at). The Mic is also much better on the Amperior compared to the M80. The new mic cable from V-Moda is a big improvement but still not as clear as the Amperior. I use them to take a fair number of calls on my iPhone and use Skype a fair bit and have had a number of people unanimously say that the sound quality was better with the Sennheiser mic. The Amperiors are much more comfortable than the HD-25s because of the cloth pads and less clamping force (I do not wear glasses). I would say they are about as comfortable as the M80s, perhaps slightly more so, and also easier to get a good fit with. I find I have to stretch and twist around the headband a bit to get a perfect fit on the M80, while the Amperior just seems to find the sweet spot on its own. I am able to wear both for several hours without any pain though, while I could feel the HD25s after an hour or two.

So are the Amperiors worth the extra $$$ over the HD-25s? For many, the answer is probably not, but they do sound better to my ears, especially without any kind of amplification and that is on top of aesthetics and the built-in mic which I actually do use a lot. Both are fairly detailed cans across the board for their class of can, but I feel the "veil" is a little thinner on the Amperiors. I'm definitely enjoying mine on the road (did I mention the isolation is top notch?) and when I leave the house it is really a toss up for me whether I bring the M80 or Amperior. Maybe they will be more appealing to some once you start seeing more of them on the second hand market, or once Apple loses exclusivity on their resale.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t140/matrim604/IMG_1157small.jpg

Thanks for your impressions/comparisons. I tried the HD25-i-ii at a Guitar Center store but I didn't get to use my own source. Listening to the Amperor with my own source, I did notice that it picked up details more so than the HD25-i-ii. Like you said though, is the Amperior worth the extra money? For me, absolutely not. I'm paying $350 for portable headphones and they don't sound THAT spectacular. Any benefits you get over the HD25-i-ii are most likely drowned out by outside noise if you're commuting a lot, such as myself. Sure the 18 ohms is convenient for portable media players, the comfort is way better with the velour pads, and the microphone may be a really good one, but for the extra $150 just doesn't cut it for me. I would consider the Amperior to be a very fun sounding headphone (I found that it has a very U/V shaped sound signature) over a serious audiophile headphone and the price just isn't priced right for me.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #87 of 254
I'm with Craig, although they should have some more extended highs this time around. Having said that, the highs on the M-80s may not sparkle but there is plenty of detail in the highs and across the board to my ears.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #90 of 254
^ Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back