2359glenn | studio
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #15,482 of 39,986
Thanks. Now trying to back read as much of this thread as I can.
Just another OCD audio freak, I don't want to miss anything... :)

Don't feel bad, I have read the whole thread....some great info on tubes , and don't read on an empty stomach, as some of the food pics are killer!

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #15,484 of 39,986
Don't feel bad, I have read the whole thread....some great info on tubes , and don't read on an empty stomach, as some of the food pics are killer!

Saw some of the food pics, waiting for an invitation!

Good choice...now what's your favorite pizza??

Not easy choosing between Glenn's amps, starting at the beginning with the OTL.
Hard to pick a favorite pizza. And thanks, this is an invitation, yes?

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #15,485 of 39,986
Thanks. Now trying to back read as much of this thread as I can.
Just another OCD audio freak, I don't want to miss anything... :)
I suggest you get the best configuration you can. Congrats

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #15,486 of 39,986
Jul 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #15,488 of 39,986
Great choice of the options, that will be a wonderful amp.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #15,489 of 39,986
OK, I have always been a bit skeptical of my old ears hearing anything above 44/16 flac as being worth it.

I am Listening with HD800 today....details in spades.

I must say that hearing Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood in native DSD is pretty dang awesome....I may become a believer yet.

So whirlwind, would you say after your two week listening session that Hi Res DSD is a step forward in audio fidelity? I'm asking because in my existing setup I have listened to Hi Res native DSD demo recordings vs. good CD redbook and HDCD recordings and couldn't tell that much difference.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #15,490 of 39,986
So whirlwind, would you say after your two week listening session that Hi Res DSD is a step forward in audio fidelity? I'm asking because in my existing setup I have listened to Hi Res native DSD demo recordings vs. good CD redbook and HDCD recordings and couldn't tell that much difference.

I don't know if I would say that. The amount of DSD available is not very large. You still need a well recorded master, as you say, a well recorded 44/16 Flac can sound amazing.

It is fairly expensive and it takes lots of hard drive space....this alone turn many off and that is quite understandable.

I liked very much what i heard from the few DSD that I have heard....I liked it well enough that i will buy some of my favorite albums....I can only speak for what I hear with my system

The DSD plays at a lower volume, like how Mp3 can sound louder than 44/16 flac....the DSD sounds lower than flac....that lets me get on the volume pot a little bit more, and my system sounds better that way.

DSD is not needed, but it is a great option.

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #15,491 of 39,986
I don't know if I would say that. The amount of DSD available is not very large. You still need a well recorded master, as you say, a well recorded 44/16 Flac can sound amazing.

It is fairly expensive and it takes lots of hard drive space....this alone turn many off and that is quite understandable.

I liked very much what i heard from the few DSD that I have heard....I liked it well enough that i will buy some of my favorite albums....I can only speak for what I hear with my system

The DSD plays at a lower volume, like how Mp3 can sound louder than 44/16 flac....the DSD sounds lower than flac....that lets me get on the volume pot a little bit more, and my system sounds better that way.

DSD is not needed, but it is a great option.

Thanks @whirlwind for the feedback!

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #15,492 of 39,986
Thanks. This will be the six 6BL7/6BX7 version with single 6SN7 and double C3g driver sockets.
Also Lundahl transformer and 6/12/25 voltage switch and (hopefully) 5998 MOD.
That's an excellent configuration. Are you also going for goldpoint attenuator? My GOTL Darna has high gain so I am using a Schiit SYS to control the input so I can have a bit of play with my GOTL's attenuator especially with 6BL7's. You may want to discuss this with Glenn.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #15,494 of 39,986
DSD fan here. DSD file into DSD DAC into Glenn amp :gs1000smile:

I am trying to put back a little money each pay, so by Christmas time I can order a new headphone, but I find myself once a week looking for a new DSD album.
Sometimes I resist and sometimes I don't :beyersmile:

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #15,495 of 39,986
That's an excellent configuration. Are you also going for goldpoint attenuator? My GOTL Darna has high gain so I am using a Schiit SYS to control the input so I can have a bit of play with my GOTL's attenuator especially with 6BL7's. You may want to discuss this with Glenn.

Thanks. Was not intending to go with the Goldpoint. If gain is an issue with the 6BL7, can it be used with 4 instead of 6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back