「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #174,091 of 177,742
For me, it's Seagate's or WD's consumer line, which ever that's cheaper.

Currently using WD for everything just because they are cheaper where I live and my laptop happens to come with a WD drive. Toshiba drives are nice too.

Good to know, I settled on Seagate

WD drives have failed me on almost three times in 5 years... my Seagates pushing a decade

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #174,092 of 177,742
my vast knowledge of Stralia:
lot of jumping low fi version of T-rex
everything is trying to kill humans
220px-Taz-Looney_Tunes.svg.png

Jim Jefferies

am I missing anything? ^_^

You forgot the drop bears....
upload_2017-7-27_20-48-25.gif

upload_2017-7-27_20-50-4.gif

upload_2017-7-27_20-50-25.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-27_20-51-49.gif
    upload_2017-7-27_20-51-49.gif
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #174,093 of 177,742
Quickly skimmed through The Secret of Kells. Surprised that I've never heard of this until today.

From the visual standpoint...man, talk about breaking all the rules with dedication! @_@

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    201.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #174,094 of 177,742
No matter how old I get it seems right to ask @HybridCore for PC related advise lol, this thread built the very PC I'm still using this day 5 years ago

anyway hello guyz and gals! In anime related news I finished AoT2... can't believe it's already been 4 years q.q
also Durarara is my current muse, other wise marriage has me to busy for anime these days

for pc related advice, what HDD do you guys like these days? My two oldest drives have started to disappear when I resume from sleep, so I figure might as well replace them before they fail. An praise be to them for lasting upwards of almost 7-8 years now! Think I've had one of these since like... 2011? An it was already 2-3 years old then

I mean HDD longetivity really is luck of the draw for the most part.

Anyways how much capacity do you need? I assume a 3.5" drive.

For the most part any drive works. I'll tend to try to find Hitachis if I can but WD is slowly integrating Hitachi stuff into their drives and Seagate is fine as well now. Toshiba I don't see very often.

If there's one thing now though, Seagate's rebranding is pretty ugly IMO. I liked their old logo and branding better. But that's just my bias.

As for Seagate vs WD wars...really doesn't matter. Whichever is cheaper. Do keep in mind though that if you are looking for 1TB or larger drives, make sure you get the models that have 1TB per platter. You can usually guess by the weight if you're looking at two 1TB drives of the same line (ex. WD Blue) but across lines you can't.

For WD I usually recommend the WD10EZEX which is the WD Blue drive w/ 1TB per platter. The WD Black equivalent, from what I've read, is actually much worse, being much much louder for basically no performance increase or something. That might have changed but honestly there's no reason to get the black over the blue. I did hear about some decreasing quality for the WD10EZEX's though so...we'll see.

All of the Seagates that are 1TB+ use 1TB platters from what I remember.

Hitachis might be in the same boat as Seagate now. I'd double check just to make sure.

Your best bets are always 1TB platter Enterprise drives if we're talking reliability but it's very difficult to find those cheap.

And then if money really is no object you go 1TB SSDs but that's probably not the aim here.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #174,095 of 177,742
Secret of Kells is amazing

and I wound up settleing on 1 250GB Segate [it's replacing a 120 GB that's as old as dirt] plus it was like $20 well reviewed so I grabbe it 3.5 and then my external 320 is crapping out, so I got a Segate External 1TB, with wall wort. I only wish I'd gotten a second Fantom Green :/

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #174,096 of 177,742
Honestly I'm starting to like 1TB 7.2k 2.5" HDDs better than most 3.5" ones now. IIRC laptop drives will usually have some additional protection mechanisms since they're designed to be mobile. I think the only ones right now is Hitachi's 7K1000 and a WD Black for 9.5mm and below drives. Rest of the 2.5" 1TB+ drives are 15mm enterprise drives.

The WD is probably a Hitachi 7K1000 rebadge since basically everything about the drives are identical (power draw under different scenarios, temp ranges, shock ratings, etc.) but is a couple dollars more expensive for just the WD brand or something. Hitachi all the way.

Anyways usually reviews will be useless because all review systems have voluntary response bias. The only time where I'd raise a flag is if you see a very large portion of DoA reviews.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #174,097 of 177,742
Honestly I'm starting to like 1TB 7.2k 2.5" HDDs better than most 3.5" ones now. IIRC laptop drives will usually have some additional protection mechanisms since they're designed to be mobile. I think the only ones right now is Hitachi's 7K1000 and a WD Black for 9.5mm and below drives. Rest of the 2.5" 1TB+ drives are 15mm enterprise drives.

The WD is probably a Hitachi 7K1000 rebadge since basically everything about the drives are identical (power draw under different scenarios, temp ranges, shock ratings, etc.) but is a couple dollars more expensive for just the WD brand or something. Hitachi all the way.

Anyways usually reviews will be useless because all review systems have voluntary response bias. The only time where I'd raise a flag is if you see a very large portion of DoA reviews.

That's typically what I look for, don't care about the noise complaints or speed just looking for how many 1-2 DOA's are posted, I was going to try for a Fantom External but it had a number of DOA complaints, the larger Segate's had those as well. An I've heard a lot of positivity about Hitachi as well, I might try WD in the Future it their integrating or re-branding their products

Either way, I got all of what I wanted off my failing external HDD, and the internal one... has been out of use for a while, it'll be nice to have another drive to save stuff into.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #174,098 of 177,742
No matter how old I get it seems right to ask @HybridCore for PC related advise lol, this thread built the very PC I'm still using this day 5 years ago

anyway hello guyz and gals! In anime related news I finished AoT2... can't believe it's already been 4 years q.q
also Durarara is my current muse, other wise marriage has me to busy for anime these days

for pc related advice, what HDD do you guys like these days? My two oldest drives have started to disappear when I resume from sleep, so I figure might as well replace them before they fail. An praise be to them for lasting upwards of almost 7-8 years now! Think I've had one of these since like... 2011? An it was already 2-3 years old then

Congrads on getting a waifu!

I've been spending a fortune on drives lately..... couple of HGST HE8's, Seagate Enterprise's, WD Red's.
All of them are 8TB drives for my storage server.

Yep, laptop drives can withstand WAAAYYY more G's. I think the last time I bought one a few years back, it was rated for > 200G for a few miliseconds.

and yeah, I hate seagate's new re-branding effort.... it's horrible. their site redirects me based on IP so I always get a Chinese page that I can't effing read :xf_mad:

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #174,099 of 177,742
Quickly skimmed through The Secret of Kells. Surprised that I've never heard of this until today.

From the visual standpoint...man, talk about breaking all the rules with dedication! @_@

It was a pretty interesting movie, doesn't hold much re-watch value for me unfortunately due to a "just ok" plot, but it's worth seeing once. They also did Song of the Sea which I liked a bit more.

On HDD's, I don't like WD so I recommend Seagates and Hitachis (though owned by WD now they still seem to be made in different factories). I had my first Seagate drive (of 20+ owned) fail on me last month, a 4TB NAS drive. It was in RAID 1 so everything was backed up thankfully.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #174,100 of 177,742
finally spent one of those highly unproductive days and dealt with Uchouten Kazoku in one unhealthy gulp(I liked it a lot). and to add to the caricature, I had some Asian food in front of the computer that my mother brought to me. \o/ you've reached procrastination level 100, food will now come to you already cooked and paid for.
my cosplay of a 41 year old hikikomori was absolutely flawless today. and it wasn't even the week end.
628b31ef5fea67162bcb271e269030fe--rage-faces-multimedia.jpg

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #174,101 of 177,742
On HDD's, I don't like WD so I recommend Seagates and Hitachis (though owned by WD now they still seem to be made in different factories). I had my first Seagate drive (of 20+ owned) fail on me last month, a 4TB NAS drive. It was in RAID 1 so everything was backed up thankfully.

On October 19, 2015, Western Digital Corporation announced a decision from China's Ministry of Commerce ("MOFCOM") which enabled the company to integrate substantial portions of its HGST and WD subsidiaries under Western Digital Corporation ("Western Digital"), but they must offer both HGST and WD product brands in the market and maintain separate sales teams for two years from the date of the decision.[12][13][14] As such, as of October 19, 2015, HGST is a Western Digital brand, and no longer a separate entity.

From what I've been seeing (take this with a grain of salt), WD has basically let Hitachi doing what they keep doing because...well...they're doing it right so why not. Pretty sure it would be in the news if WD closed some factories and then people will drum up the death of the HDD again.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #174,102 of 177,742
finally spent one of those highly unproductive days and dealt with Uchouten Kazoku in one unhealthy gulp(I liked it a lot). and to add to the caricature, I had some Asian food in front of the computer that my mother brought to me. \o/ you've reached procrastination level 100, food will now come to you already cooked and paid for.
my cosplay of a 41 year old hikikomori was absolutely flawless today. and it wasn't even the week end.

+100 points for watching a series about an aimless son while cosplaying as.... an aimless son.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #174,103 of 177,742
Look at this guy living the dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back