XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jul 15, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #3,633 of 5,194
Any comments how X3 compares to DX50 with stock HW? I`m planning to buy something for my gf for gift. X3 seems like a very good bang for a buck and would be interesting competition to my heavily modded DX5X.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #3,635 of 5,194
Thanks! Sometimes even I am lazy to read all posts 
redface.gif

85% of stock DX50 ? Well, I was hoping more or less same SQ from it. Stock DX50 isn`t actually very good, so, I`ll probably look around more. Maybe I can find used DX50 cheaply and also mod it (which is cheap).

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,637 of 5,194
Thanks! Sometimes even I am lazy to read all posts :xf_eek:  

85% of stock DX50 ? Well, I was hoping more or less same SQ from it. Stock DX50 isn`t actually very good, so, I`ll probably look around more. Maybe I can find used DX50 cheaply and also mod it (which is cheap).

I know you know all these posted percentages are opinions and subjective. Unfortunately while the pool of X3/DX50 overlap is not too great, those who can compare modded DX50 to X3 even fewer :frowning2:

I would suggest to give x3 a listen if possible, very neutral presentation with very unbiased sound and wide stage.

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #3,638 of 5,194
Until Xduoo fix the OS, I wouldn't suggest gifting one to a girlfriend.

44.1k files ( and 88.2k ) play noticeably slow.

Such a shame. The unit is very good sounding. Rockbox can fix the speed issue and has some great features, but, I think, at a cost of  reducing all your audio to a quality standard we all thought we were here to get beyond.

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #3,639 of 5,194
I have been using the stock OS for months and months. I'm not saying some people don't hear the pitch difference on 44.1 (or else it wouldn't have been discovered in the first place) but I'm a recording musician and never heard any pitch issue v
redface.gif
v

Several others here have been happily using theirs with the stock OS, however most people are on Rockbox which corrects the pitch issue nearly completely, but then you lose the minimalistic/simple interface.

But if you don't need 2x microSD support and you're going to Rockbox it, you might as well get a Sansa Clip right?

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3,640 of 5,194
  I have been using the stock OS for months and months. I'm not saying some people don't hear the pitch difference on 44.1 (or else it wouldn't have been discovered in the first place) but I'm a recording musician and never heard any pitch issue v
redface.gif
v

Several others here have been happily using theirs with the stock OS, however most people are on Rockbox which corrects the pitch issue nearly completely, but then you lose the minimalistic/simple interface.

But if you don't need 2x microSD support and you're going to Rockbox it, you might as well get a Sansa Clip right?

Except that the clips are beginning to get stupidly expensive and harder to find in good condition :frowning2:

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3,641 of 5,194
redface.gif
v

yes, rockbox head
tongue_smile.gif
, found clip+, clip zip, and fuze in ebay. but i need to pair them with topping nx1a for feeding some low sensitivity iems. so i don't need 2xmicrosd, but that's one point for x3 (much more output power); another point is soundstage and overall sq.
btw, it's available now in tomtop again, shipped expedited (unique possible choice) from gb warehouse, for 73€ / 58.3£ / $81. not bad.

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #3,642 of 5,194
  H2OFidelity said that X3 is about 85% of DX50. Watch pages 12 and 13.

H2OFi did with A83. For a limited source/amp. and phones I have, I have already found the same phone sound different on different gears. Maybe you can find some phones sound better on X3 than DX50.
This game is endless. So either keeping throwing money into the deep, or when got a satisfied sound, stop and just enjoy it. :)

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #3,643 of 5,194
H2OFi did with A83. For a limited source/amp. and phones I have, I have already found the same phone sound different on different gears. Maybe you can find some phones sound better on X3 than DX50.
This game is endless. So either keeping throwing money into the deep, or when got a satisfied sound, stop and just enjoy it. :)

After adding amps like the fiio e12 and o2 I settled with the stock, as o2 was removing some air from the treble, but improving the bass timing and midbass was better(by a little). E12 was boosting the mids, and felt I m loosing the "neutral" thing. also, the contrast to the background silence was gone a little. So, now I needed up using just the x3 in amped with beoplay h6. They sound cold, but really neutral. I like this compromise, as it doesn't kill my portability. I sold both Amps, and I don't feel bad. They were almost dead investments for me! Got another 128gb card and I am happy listening. (Though with some glitches, i m forgiving on the player) M not thinking of an upgrade, until some good player with the 9018 chip comes, which is still my wish list.

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #3,645 of 5,194
After adding amps like the fiio e12 and o2 I settled with the stock, as o2 was removing some air from the treble, but improving the bass timing and midbass was better(by a little). E12 was boosting the mids, and felt I m loosing the "neutral" thing. also, the contrast to the background silence was gone a little. So, now I needed up using just the x3 in amped with beoplay h6. They sound cold, but really neutral. I like this compromise, as it doesn't kill my portability. I sold both Amps, and I don't feel bad. They were almost dead investments for me! Got another 128gb card and I am happy listening. (Though with some glitches, i m forgiving on the player) M not thinking of an upgrade, until some good player with the 9018 chip comes, which is still my wish list.

X3 mixes with Cayin C5 or Bengkel bMac spectacularly.

I agree it benefits from amping, but I cannot keep an amp in my pocket! I only use the heaphones, when I am on a train, or just walking around the city. So, it kills my freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back