why is Denon's D7000 pricing going down
Feb 21, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #62 of 81
woot that is damn quick just less than 2 minutes ish.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO WAY! REALLY?!
tongue.gif

...if you'd read what I wrote, and then had gone and looked into it, you'd know I'm talking about a specific news article which used Radio Shack as its case study, which is why I gave such specific information when suggesting the user to go look up the article
wink.gif

oops. My bad!
redface.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #64 of 81
The value quetions in general SUCK. I'v said it in another thread also.

You could say the K701 is great value, because you think its better than a GS1000, and its like 5 times cheaper. I would say the K701 has really bad value, because it sounds dull boring a-musical, and I much preferred the K601 and other cheaper headphones to it. Furthermore, I think the RS-1 is excellent value, because there is no other headphone that gives me this much joy.

So thats just a short example of why value in hifi is just bogus in general. I like the Denon sound btw, but the Pro900 does imo everything better. O hell, what do I know about headphones
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #65 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The value quetions in general SUCK. I'v said it in another thread also.

You could say the K701 is great value, because you think its better than a GS1000, and its like 5 times cheaper. I would say the K701 has really bad value, because it sounds dull boring a-musical, and I much preferred the K601 and other cheaper headphones to it. Furthermore, I think the RS-1 is excellent value, because there is no other headphone that gives me this much joy.

So thats just a short example of why value in hifi is just bogus in general. I like the Denon sound btw, but the Pro900 does imo everything better. O hell, what do I know about headphones
tongue.gif

you're the expert of your own ears, and I'm happy that you've seemingly found at least two hp's that suit you (the Pro900 and RS-1)

thats what you know...
wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #66 of 81
Why does the HD650 go for 1/2 of its list? Why does the W5000 sell for less than 1/2? Etc. Etc.

In terms of its value, I'd agree that the D7000 is a terrific 600.00 phone and a very, very good 799.00 phone. It was perhaps only a good 1000.00 phone, and I suspect (and some evidence suggests) that it can be constructed fairly cheaply and in larger quantities than some competing ultra-phones, thereby making more unit sales at a lower price an attractive option for Denon.

I fail to see that, given the wait times for these phones (months, in some cases) the new lower price is somehow a reflection of its worth. 999.00 was ambitious and the markup must have been around 50% at least on that price. Some dealers now are taking a smaller cut, fortunately, and I like it that way.

happy listening,

o

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #67 of 81
Sigh;

I don't have infinite time to read everything I'm interested about, be it headphones, or other stuff. Good luck on car prices...

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #68 of 81
As an owner of both AKG 701's and Denon AH D7000's, I can tell you that the assertion that the 701's are much better is, uh, interesting but far from my experience.

The Denons, driven by a Woo Audio 6 and MHDT Havana DAC, are superior in nearly every category imaginable.

The one area I feel the AKG's have an advantage in is perceived soundstage width- being an open can, they seem more spacious. And as for bass reproduction, Denon's bass can be a tad heavy at times, but the AKG bass is shy nearly all the time, so you have to seek the balance that suits you.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #72 of 81
I was looking for a serious high res headphone, and auditioned what I could get my hands on. The setup was a Denon CDP into a Rudistor NX03. I got around to listening to:

Beyer DT880 600ohm
Denon D5000/7000
Ultrasone Ed9

I already owned the DT990 and found the DT880 sounding too similar for my taste. The D5000 was nice sounding, good detail and powerful bass, but the D7000 was a big step up on the D5000: more detail in the mid-highs without sounding bright. Less bass but more control, ie more quality bass.

I then had a go at the Ed9 and it was very detailed, louder than normal (I had to turn down the volume). While the detail retrieval was a touch better - this was actually more emphasis on in the treble region due to the titanium drivers, I found the music hard to listen to for extended periods, due to fatigue.

I went back to the D7000 and it was a wholly more musical experience while retaining this amazing level of detail, which was what I was looking for in the first place, so I bought it. IMO worth every $ spent.

Back home, listening to the D7000 through the Consonance Cyber 30 it is by far the best music making I've heard in a long time.

Pls note all the usual caveats apply: IMO, in my system, etc...

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #73 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all know and all the headphone companies know that their product will be heavily discounted eventually. So knowing that it's an inevitability, they jack up the retail. It's as simple as that.

Not quite, Grados typically aren't worth 1/3 what you paid for them in 3 years, can't say the same about Senn, Denon, AKG, or JVC. I remember when the Senn HD650 first came out how much they were, waited a few years and bought them for $250 new. Same can be said for about any of these foreign phones.

Also why all the comparisons to the GS1000? In the history of Grado they put out one bad headphone, the GS1000. Let it die.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #74 of 81
Maybe denon is coming out with new Flagship model? .. Ie.. 9000?

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #75 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe denon is coming out with new Flagship model? .. Ie.. 9000?

That would be awesome
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back