Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jul 24, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #376 of 1,413
I have a bottle of the Jefferson 18, and like it, but it doesn't blow me away. I might have to give it another chance soon!

I have most of my 18yr, but my biggest regret of 2011 was not buying the cases of the 17yr... better than all the other more recent Stetzel-Weller juice. Obviously, pretty biased, but also commonly believed among Bourbon nuts...

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #379 of 1,413
If you like BMH, make sure you see if you can get Corner Creek. It is another Indy Bottling from Kentucky Bourbon Distillers. It's also super cheap and basically the same juice. It's no longer available in my market (same as BMH)...

I haven't tried the Corner Creek because of the very mixed reviews, but I do really like Rowans Creek. In the mid 30's price range it is one of my favorites. I still haven't flipped for the Noah's Mill, but I'm sure I would dig it. I like most of the KDB stuff.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #380 of 1,413
I haven't tried the Corner Creek because of the very mixed reviews, but I do really like Rowans Creek. In the mid 30's price range it is one of my favorites. I still haven't flipped for the Noah's Mill, but I'm sure I would dig it. I like most of the KDB stuff.

I haven't had either since they are not in my market, but my next visit to Missouri, and I will be getting a bottle of each. I ended up with Willet, and was a bit disappointed. Oh we'll, I have some wicked decanter bottles.

I hate to sound crass, but here goes... I sell whisk(e)y for a living and the average drinker doesn't have any idea what they are talking about, let alone know what they like. It's very similar to wine drinkers who only drink Cab. You cannot truly flaw them since exposure is mostly from advertisers with deep pockets. As Bourbon appreciation goes up, so does the hobbiest culture.

I'm not trying to make or prove a point, just show appreciation for those that know names like KBD, LDI/MGPI, chill filtration, or even the difference between cask strength and single barrel.

Maybe one day, people might connect the dots and realize Templeton is not distiller in Iowa, and that doesn't make it bad , nor does it make it good.

Informed buying is a good thing, but whisk(e)y suggestions are even more subjective than our headphone hobby... enjoy, but proceed with caution!

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #381 of 1,413
I hear ya man and respect where you are coming from. I try to stay informed or do research before purchasing, but some times the impulse buy gets the best of me. One of those impulses was the High West brand, which I really like, even though they don't actually distill any/many of their current offerings.

I'm currently enjoying Parker's Heritage "Promise of Hope" release. Not a widely praised release, but I really enjoy it.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #382 of 1,413
I hear ya man and respect where you are coming from. I try to stay informed or do research before purchasing, but some times the impulse buy gets the best of me. One of those impulses was the High West brand, which I really like, even though they don't actually distill any/many of their current offerings.

I'm currently enjoying Parker's Heritage "Promise of Hope" release. Not a widely praised release, but I really enjoy it.

Yeah, I respect the guys at High West. They have a chemist that geeks out a bit with their distillation practices. They seem to be the only LDI/MGPi bottles doing anything interesting beyond buying the cheapest juice available in Indiana... Yes I'm pointing my fingers at you, Jefferson's.

As for Promise of Hope, it was certainly tasty, and I don't think anyone should criticize the flavor, but rather the inflated price (though a super small portion of the bottle goes towards a good cause). We were only allocated two bottles, so I didn't allow myself to purchase a bottle.

Keep drinking what you like, that's what's most important!

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #383 of 1,413
How did I miss this topic? It might be a bit off topic at this point but I will respond to the OP's original post. Whisky Vs Whiskey. They both have their place in my home. Here is the easiest way I can explain it:

Whisky is in my cab. Around 10 or so bottles of scotch ranging from 12 year to 18 year. Whisky is my drink of choice and one that I'm willing to spend good money for. Not cRaZy money for (I have a Wife that doesn't share this passion among all the other passions of mine she doesn't 'get'.) Whisky sits in my cab...and only brought out for special occasions.

Whiskey on the other hand is cheap. Well not all of them but many. Whiskey is what I drink when I feel like just drinking. I do shots of whiskey. I'm not afraid to waste it so to speak. $20-$30 for a bottle of whiskey and I don't mind swilling it down.

Whisky I sip. I sip it neat. No ice, no mineral water. I savor whisky. I drink whiskey.

Whiskey is what I pull out when my brother in law comes over. Whisky is what I pull out when my Father comes to visit.

American bourbons have their place.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #384 of 1,413
How did I miss this topic? It might be a bit off topic at this point but I will respond to the OP's original post. Whisky Vs Whiskey. They both have their place in my home. Here is the easiest way I can explain it:

Whisky is in my cab. Around 10 or so bottles of scotch ranging from 12 year to 18 year. Whisky is my drink of choice and one that I'm willing to spend good money for. Not cRaZy money for (I have a Wife that doesn't share this passion among all the other passions of mine she doesn't 'get'.) Whisky sits in my cab...and only brought out for special occasions.

Whiskey on the other hand is cheap. Well not all of them but many. Whiskey is what I drink when I feel like just drinking. I do shots of whiskey. I'm not afraid to waste it so to speak. $20-$30 for a bottle of whiskey and I don't mind swilling it down.

Whisky I sip. I sip it neat. No ice, no mineral water. I savor whisky. I drink whiskey.

Whiskey is what I pull out when my brother in law comes over. Whisky is what I pull out when my Father comes to visit.

American bourbons have their place.

Gotta play devils advocate here... Hope you're not doing either with Canadian Whisky :evil:

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #385 of 1,413
Gotta play devils advocate here... Hope you're not doing either with Canadian Whisky
evil_smiley.gif

haha no. Only Scotch whisky. Single malt. Islay, Highland and Speyside. Speyside being my favorite region.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #386 of 1,413
If you like speysides, you should try some of the better Irish Whiskey's. Very similar in character. Green Spot, is my current favorite of the bunch. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #387 of 1,413
Just tried a new dram... blew me away (which is saying alot for my snobbery)!

Edradour's Peated series dubbed Ballechin. Had the 10yr Sauternes finish. Claimed it's peated to 50ppm, but certainly doesn't taste it. Mild smoke, full bodied and creamy like melted butter over popcorn.

I will be buying a bottle when it comes into my store!

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #388 of 1,413
Just tried a new dram... blew me away (which is saying alot for my snobbery)!

Edradour's Peated series dubbed Ballechin. Had the 10yr Sauternes finish. Claimed it's peated to 50ppm, but certainly doesn't taste it. Mild smoke, full bodied and creamy like melted butter over popcorn.

I will be buying a bottle when it comes into my store!

A quick Google shows that there are also Bordeaux (red) and Bourbon cask finishes for the Ballechin. Interesting.

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #389 of 1,413
A while back I started to get into whiskey and one of my first brands I tried was Johnnie walker. I know there most likely a better whiskey but for me I had a lot of good times while drinking it so the association of it for me makes it more enjoyable. I've tried red, black, gold and blue and the only color left is johnnie walker green (New colors are just re-branded old colors). I know it got discontinued but I am hoping to find a bottle somewhere in USA that can be shipped. Does anyone know of a  website in the USA that would ship.

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #390 of 1,413
I don't know of any that will both ship, and still have it in stock. :/

If it's any consolation, I never really felt it was any better than the Black label, nor significantly different from Gold. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back