Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jul 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #391 of 1,413
A while back I started to get into whiskey and one of my first brands I tried was Johnnie walker. I know there most likely a better whiskey but for me I had a lot of good times while drinking it so the association of it for me makes it more enjoyable. I've tried red, black, gold and blue and the only color left is johnnie walker green (New colors are just re-branded old colors). I know it got discontinued but I am hoping to find a bottle somewhere in USA that can be shipped. Does anyone know of a  website in the USA that would ship.

I hate to be blunt, but good luck. Diageo discontinued the Green over 2 years ago to make way for the new expressions (Double Black, Gold Rsv, and Platinum). We sold out December last year... I still get random requests.

Johnnie Green has a place in my heart since it was the first bottle of scotch I ever bought. I even have that bottle custom engraved and have about 2 fingers left in it. The new bottle I have is around half full/empty.

I don't know of any that will both ship, and still have it in stock. :/

If it's any consolation, I never really felt it was any better than the Black label, nor significantly different from Gold. 

Technically speaking, Green is a far superior product to black. Personal preference is ultimately the deciding factor...

Black is a 12yr blend containing roughtly 15-20% single malts. Green on the other hand is a vatting of 15 different Diageo singles malts all at least 15yrs old. The primary 4 are listed on the back.

Black isnt bad, nor is Green. But green's value ended when retail soared past $55/bottle. A great substitute for bother would be Johnnie Double Black. I think it's far better made than the tail end of the Green supplies.

As for black, I only really drink it in Maime Taylors and Bloody Mary's!

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #392 of 1,413
This is my experience.   Red - terrible.. just terrible, Black - Very enjoyable, smooth with a simple flavor. Gold - Truly gold.. best whiskey I've had (Had it last week for the first time, original, not reserve.). Blue - This was $180.. I felt it was between red and black. Absolute rip off in my mind. 

And double black, had it and couldn't really see how it differed much from black.

So this is interesting:  http://www.johnniewalker.com/global/walkthewalk/?whichid=4

Did this the first time and got gold. I did a random selection next time just to make sure gold wasn't always the end result and it was green. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #393 of 1,413
This is my experience.   Red - terrible.. just terrible, Black - Very enjoyable, smooth with a simple flavor. Gold - Truly gold.. best whiskey I've had (Had it last week for the first time, original, not reserve.). Blue - This was $180.. I felt it was between red and black. Absolute rip off in my mind. 

And double black, had it and couldn't really see how it differed much from black.

So this is interesting:  http://www.johnniewalker.com/global/walkthewalk/?whichid=4

Did this the first time and got gold. I did a random selection next time just to make sure gold wasn't always the end result and it was green. 

There's been at least 3 different gold expressions. The original was a 16yr that was pretty terrific, though still had some limitations as an upper priced blend. The 18yr (buy it now if you like it... My store has the last 3 bottles from the supplier) it's okay, but way overpriced for its malt to grain whisky ratio.

If you are blown away by any of the Golds, be sure to pick up a bottle of Clynelish 14yr. Clynelish (pronounced Cline-leash) is the main malt component to the gold blends. A bottle should run you somewhere between $55-65, and will most likely stand out next to any of the Gold blends.

Blends are not bad, but rather simplified versions of single malts. They are also a way for a company to make a large profit where their single malts do not.

As for Double Black, it uses a much larger portion of Glendullan (glen-Doll-an) and Caol Ila (cool-EEluh) to add more sweetness and smoke. The standard Black is a good bit drier and as you said, not all that complex. Double Black uses a much higher malt ratio. I personally think the newer expressions of Johnnie releases have really tighted up the quality control.

I'm not trying to bash Johnnie, or blends... But it's hard to take blends seriously when they are no longer a value past $50. After that point, you can get single malts that over deliver for significantly less money.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #394 of 1,413
There's been at least 3 different gold expressions. The original was a 16yr that was pretty terrific, though still had some limitations as an upper priced blend. The 18yr (buy it now if you like it... My store has the last 3 bottles from the supplier) it's okay, but way overpriced for its malt to grain whisky ratio.

If you are blown away by any of the Golds, be sure to pick up a bottle of Clynelish 14yr. Clynelish (pronounced Cline-leash) is the main malt component to the gold blends. A bottle should run you somewhere between $55-65, and will most likely stand out next to any of the Gold blends.

Blends are not bad, but rather simplified versions of single malts. They are also a way for a company to make a large profit where their single malts do not.

As for Double Black, it uses a much larger portion of Glendullan (glen-Doll-an) and Caol Ila (cool-EEluh) to add more sweetness and smoke. The standard Black is a good bit drier and as you said, not all that complex. Double Black uses a much higher malt ratio. I personally think the newer expressions of Johnnie releases have really tighted up the quality control.

I'm not trying to bash Johnnie, or blends... But it's hard to take blends seriously when they are no longer a value past $50. After that point, you can get single malts that over deliver for significantly less money.

I appreciate your input and I don't take it as bashing. I'm sure Johnnie walker is the "bose" or "beats" of whiskey. The well known brand that is overpriced for what it is. I will def try and find the Clynelish 14 year. About 3 times a year I have a family outting and 2 of my good cousins show up and they love tasting the whiskey I bring. They all agreed gold was far superior to anything else I brought.

Also I live in Maine and its a really "special" state for alcohol. You can only sell certain alcohols and  no matter where you go in maine they have to be the same price.  Here is a list of alcohols you can find in maine.

http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/attach.php?id=623100&an=2

Anything on that list that you'd suggest being close to JW gold ?

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #395 of 1,413
I don't know JW whiskies well at all, but the first few pages of that list contains two truly excellent Islay single malts in Ardbeg and Caol Ila. Very tasty drams, but not as extreme on the peat'n'iodine as some Islay products.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #396 of 1,413
My shortlist;

Glenlivet 12yo
Chivas Regal 18yo
Dimple 15yo

Volume drinking - Canadian club if its on tap

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #401 of 1,413
I kinda got a bit of A.D.D. reading that list. So far, it looks pretty standard (though pricing is a bit wonky... out of date maybe?) I got to "C" before I called it quits.

Nothing will taste like the gold besides the components that go into it...

So far in the list

Aberfeldy
Aberlour
Benromach
Cardhu

That list is July 2014. All alcohol is sold @ MSRP and the stores can't do sales unless the state says so. Even worse is you can't order alcohol online because maine forbids it. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #402 of 1,413
I lived in Iowa in 2009, and they had a law that prevented anyone but the state from selling anything with 6%+ alcohol. (Side story: my cooworkers frequented a local brewery with several beers on tap with "5.99%" alcohol, which was almost certainly a code for "this is above the legal limit so don't say anything and enjoy your beer.") Indiana drives me nuts that you still can't buy alcohol on Sunday.

But your prices for Woodford are better than they are here by a few dollars. Maker's and Jameson are about the same. The only problem I could see is if you wanted something really special/unique. Also, are beer and wine included with that law? That would be a much bigger problem with all the microbreweries and various vineyards.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #403 of 1,413
I lived in Iowa in 2009, and they had a law that prevented anyone but the state from selling anything with 6%+ alcohol. (Side story: my cooworkers frequented a local brewery with several beers on tap with "5.99%" alcohol, which was almost certainly a code for "this is above the legal limit so don't say anything and enjoy your beer.") Indiana drives me nuts that you still can't buy alcohol on Sunday.

But your prices for Woodford are better than they are here by a few dollars. Maker's and Jameson are about the same. The only problem I could see is if you wanted something really special/unique. Also, are beer and wine included with that law? That would be a much bigger problem with all the microbreweries and various vineyards.

I think beer is anything goes. The one thing that does suck about beer is on top of the sales tax there is also a bottle deposit. 5 cents per can or bottle. So if you buy a 6-pack its an extra 30 cents +5-6% for taxes. To be a microbrewer or a vineyard you have to get an alcohol license to sell and from what I heard its pretty pricey. 

The limit on alcohol within the past year I think got lifted from maine. It used to be 5.0 I believe. Now I'm seeing miller fortune with 6.9. 

When I visited colorado their beer laws are truly head scratching. If you buy beer from a supermarket its 3.2%, even coors. And you can't buy hard alcohol from a supermarket. 
http://www.5280.com/blogs/2014/01/13/break-it-down-colorado-beer-and-liquor-code

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #405 of 1,413
Wanted to use some cheap whiskey in case this idea backfires.  Anyone done this before?

Currently soaking the burger in my fridge completely covered with whiskey. I figure this way I get the most intense whiskey flavor I can possibly get. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back