Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
May 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #363 of 1,413
  Kraken spiced rum. Oh, dear God, this stuff slips down all to easily!

Aye it does. Good stuff though. 

I've just polished off the last of my bottle of Green Spot (Single Pot still) Irish Whiskey... very enjoyable bottle. Very much in character like a Speyside scotch (Balvenie Double-wood-esque). I'm a little sad now.

May 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #364 of 1,413
Black Maple Hill and Pappy Van are easily my two favorite bourbons if you can find them. The Black Maple Hill is much more pedestrian, but so so delicious. 

May 28, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #365 of 1,413
tongue_smile.gif
Black Maple Hill........

May 29, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #367 of 1,413
I've been getting into drinking bourbon straight while listening to tunes lately. Started off with JB white, then EW black and lately have been rotating between Four Roses Yellow Label and Buffalo Trace. I'm eying either Old Grand Dad 100 or Weller 12 year for my next purchase. Any other recommendations in the <$30 a bottle range?

May 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #368 of 1,413
Just bought some 'own label' Asda Islay single malt. Having a quick sniff of it, most importantly it smells very Islay, and in a good way.

What exactly it is, I'm not sure. It smells a bit like a mild/young Laphroaig, but I'll have to taste it later this evening to get a better idea.

Now that Sainsbury have discontinued their excellent OL malts (I'm pretty sure their Islay was a Caol Ila), this seems to be a good source of quality single malts at blend prices.

£20.50, if you're interested.

May 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #369 of 1,413
  Just bought some 'own label' Asda Islay single malt. Having a quick sniff of it, most importantly it smells very Islay, and in a good way.

What exactly it is, I'm not sure. It smells a bit like a mild/young Laphroaig, but I'll have to taste it later this evening to get a better idea.

Now that Sainsbury have discontinued their excellent OL malts (I'm pretty sure their Islay was a Caol Ila), this seems to be a good source of quality single malts at blend prices.

£20.50, if you're interested.

Okay, it might be Ardbeg...

Either way, it's a keenly-priced and good dram.

May 29, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #370 of 1,413
I was in Chicago last week for a conference, but I received a REAL education in bourbon.

Took a few sips of a 1946, 6yrd Old Fitzgerald and had a double to my self of the George T. Stagg.  

We also shared a flight of Pappy Van Winkle. 

May 30, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #374 of 1,413
Our bartender for the night told us "I get liquor for free all the time, but I bought a case of the Jefferson 18 when I got the chance".

You can send me that bottle of Jefferson 18 if you don't want it :wink:

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #375 of 1,413
Black Maple Hill and Pappy Van are easily my two favorite bourbons if you can find them. The Black Maple Hill is much more pedestrian, but so so delicious. 

:tongue_smile: Black Maple Hill........

If you like BMH, make sure you see if you can get Corner Creek. It is another Indy Bottling from Kentucky Bourbon Distillers. It's also super cheap and basically the same juice. It's no longer available in my market (same as BMH)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back