V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #14,386 of 23,366
Quote:

In all fairness to the guy, he is not actually trying to sell anything. This is just an unboxing and first impressions on the headphones, not a full review. The word "Monitor" is on the box.

Stating something and stating reasons why something is so, is selling a concept. Trying to convince viewers that these are studio/DJ headphones. Which they are not. Another famous example of this is Dr Dre Beats "Studio" which were also not studio quality, but because they have the word "studio" in the name they were marketed as such. That didn't make them actual studio monitors.

These aren't studio monitors, they aren't meant to be. If they were meant for the studio they'd at least have a 1/4 in adapter, which they don't. This is a consumer set of headphones, nothing more. Trying to convince people otherwise is wrong.

And if you were going by the box, then these would be Studio Monitors anyway... Not DJ monitors. Either way, I don't think they are worthy for either of those uses. 

They do sound decent though. But not decent enough for me to buy them and accept all of their shortcomings.

I'd more quickly accept that M-100s were meant for studio work or DJ work rather than the Monitors. At least they come with a cable that you can move around a work station with and not worry about damaging your equipment or ripping out the plug because you moved too far. The M-100s even come with a 1/4 in adapter! Amazing!

May 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #14,387 of 23,366
Quote:
^ as soon as i can
biggrin.gif
i believe this will make isolation better also
pretty much if you take the cups apart you look on the back of the plate that the driver is attached to and cover the part surrounding the driver with dynamat

Dude, you cannot imagine with how much expectation I am waiting for the results of this mod. I would like to bring more flatness to these cans so, just to let you know, you have a fan waiting here. As somebody already demanded, pics, please!

May 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #14,388 of 23,366
Can't go wrong with dynamat, that was a great idea and certainly helped with my modded T50RP and my old HD25 in the past. I'll be sure to try it at some point when I get my hands on an M-100 in the future.

May 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #14,389 of 23,366
Can't go wrong with dynamat, that was a great idea and certainly helped with my modded T50RP and my old HD25 in the past. I'll be sure to try it at some point when I get my hands on an M-100 in the future.
I've not been following this thread too closely but was there any pix of the dynamat mod? Cheers.

May 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #14,390 of 23,366
Quote:
I've not been following this thread too closely but was there any pix of the dynamat mod? Cheers.

Not yet, but I look forward to seeing it!

May 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #14,391 of 23,366
Just got an E17 and though I haven't had much quality time with it, initial impressions with the M-100 are good. As a USB DAC it is loads better than my stock desktop and laptop soundcards. Bass has more impact, instrument separation and sound stage improves, and overall musicality goes up several notches.

Double amped with my phone it sounds clearer than my cMoy with less boomy, more controlled bass. This was only from a quick listen, though. Once I get well acquainted with it I'll do a video review. So far, I am very happy with this combo.

And I am also eagerly awaiting pics and impressions of the Dynamat mod.

May 8, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #14,393 of 23,366
Marshall is an amp company.

The "Marshall" branded headphones are merely that. Branded headphones manufactured by Zound Industries, who make Urbanears, etc..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Amplification

http://www.zoundindustries.com/

May 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #14,395 of 23,366
Just got my V-Moda's. Overall, they are great. Just having to adjust the clamping force by bending the headband every now and then to suit my liking. Also, my ears feel a little sweaty. But I'm relieved, because I was really worrying about the earcups being too small for my ears, but my ears fit them! :3

May 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #14,397 of 23,366
Quote:
The fiio e17 is nice and I like it ,but the c5 from jds labs make the 100's sound better than ever. 

I got the E17 for $99 thanks to the Deals Thread. I wasn't even looking for an amp, but decided to jump on the deal. I think my next audio gear purchase will be a HiFiMAN HE-400 followed by a tube amp. So far I've only focused on portable audio gear. The NY Head-Fi meet has opened me up to getting at home gear.

Can you give a brief comparison between the E17 and the C5 as to how they perform with the M-100?

May 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #14,398 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
The fiio e17 is nice and I like it ,but the c5 from jds labs make the 100's sound better than ever. 

I got the E17 for $99 thanks to the Deals Thread. I wasn't even looking for an amp, but decided to jump on the deal. I think my next audio gear purchase will be a HiFiMAN HE-400 followed by a tube amp. So far I've only focused on portable audio gear. The NY Head-Fi meet has opened me up to getting at home gear.

Can you give a brief comparison between the E17 and the C5 as to how they perform with the M-100?

I think the E17 has a cleaner sound based on what I've read compared to the E12, which I own. The E12 seems to keep the house FiiO sound signature: warm and laid-back, which doesn't work so well for the M-100. The C5 is much more transparent, with the O2 being my definition of transparent, and the M-100 sounds airier with better instrument separation and detail.

May 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #14,399 of 23,366
^ as soon as i can :D i believe this will make isolation better also

pretty much if you take the cups apart you look on the back of the plate that the driver is attached to and cover the part surrounding the driver with dynamat

Dude, you cannot imagine with how much expectation I am waiting for the results of this mod. I would like to bring more flatness to these cans so, just to let you know, you have a fan waiting here. As somebody already demanded, pics, please!

Not yet, but I look forward to seeing it!

i will try to open them up when i get home! i realized that the dynamat was actually dynamat tape which is just the foil will a lot less foam on it(amazon mislabel). even though it still makes the sound way more neutral and a little more analytical with a huge increase in the quality/tightness of bass, i would assume if i use real dynamat i would get better results/more of flat tuned sound! keep in mind this is on the LP2! I'm still reluctant to take apart my m100s and do this in case they have manufacturing issues and i have to get warranty repair. but for now they sound extremely flat with still a lot of bass but now the higher frequencies seem to have much more presence and attract about the same of my attention as the bass does. however there is a little spike at the 16-20khz range which can be a little too much for me as i am very sensitive to that range, like i said if i had used the thicker dynamat this treble spike might not be there. vocals also come a little clearer now but still a little recessed(but less!:D) and this i can imagine would not not be the case with the m100 as i think they are less recessed to begun with.

May 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #14,400 of 23,366
Quote:

For me and this is subjective, the c5 widened the soundstage a tad and brought the mids forward a bit. The c5 is like crystal clear and I find myself being able to listen at lower levels and still be able to get detail, if that makes any sense. I picked up the 17 for about the same price and thought it was a steal, but the c5 is just that much better. I used to have to raise the volume to get the full picture, don't really need to do that any more. I still use the 17 with my yamaha eph-100's, for some reason I like that combination. Again, I'm not very technical when it comes to this stuff, I just know what I like to hear. The 100's were my second choice for new phones behind the yamaha pro 500 and they were the most uncomfortable headphone I ever wore, but the sound was, to me, incredible. The 100's with the c5 bring them closer to them in sound and I can actually wear them for more than 15 minutes without being in pain. I agree with miceblue about the separation as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back