V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 7, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #14,372 of 23,366
Quote:
 Given this, could it not be argued that the M-100 bring out bass that other headphones cannot retrieve? (Whether or not you consider it hi-fidelity).

This is exactly the theory and possibility I brought up on these headphones being able to bring out bass which other headphones are incapable of doing.

May 7, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #14,373 of 23,366
Oh, it does... for example by a different distribution of harmonics (which might not be present at all in an electronically generated signal). Noise being an example for electrical audio equipment: added random frequencies.

Based on your question all headphones would sound linear and similar -- which they most definitely don't. Every mechanical system shows its own spectrum of resonances... and the overall construction yields one possible view of the audio signal so to say.

I wouldn't necessarily agree, I understand that equipment can add a degree of bias (coloration if you like), but as with speakers they surely don't 'create' their own notes, to do so would result in a chaotic output. Are you saying that the M-100 (or any other headphone for that matter) can generate bass notes not in the original recording?

May 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #14,374 of 23,366
If you take a look at the THD+Noise measurements -- thats what I'd call 'added by the speaker':
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

That noise is not present in the input signal. Its generated by the speaker/headphone or some of its parts.

The wording "bring out bass" is quite correct: done by emphasizing a part of the frequency range. You won't hear so much of 'added notes' (which is more of a noise/distortion type, distributed over a whole range) but pronounced parts of your music signal that are prominent due to design decisions of the headphones maker, not the musician or the engineer that mastered the recording.  And this behavior is not what is called 'flat'...

May 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #14,375 of 23,366
Question about the M100 cabe. I have both a genuine V-MODA M100 1 button speakeasy cable with mic, and a genuine V-MODA audio only cable. The audio only cable is easily 2x+ louder (better sounding too) than the one with mic and control. Is this normal? Is there something to do with resistance of the added button/wiring/trss jack that makes it sound lower and not as crisp?

May 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #14,376 of 23,366
Quote:
Question about the M100 cabe. I have both a genuine V-MODA M100 1 button speakeasy cable with mic, and a genuine V-MODA audio only cable. The audio only cable is easily 2x+ louder (better sounding too) than the one with mic and control. Is this normal? Is there something to do with resistance of the added button/wiring/trss jack that makes it sound lower and not as crisp?

Could be your music player (is it portable? PC? AMP?) isn't compatible with the trss jack. I've encountered one smart phone that didn't take well the the trss jack and I got a garbled mess with almost no midrange presence. Have you tried flipping the Speakeasy cable around and switching the inputs to see if that works?

May 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #14,377 of 23,366
Quote:
Could be your music player (is it portable? PC? AMP?) isn't compatible with the trss jack. I've encountered one smart phone that didn't take well the the trss jack and I got a garbled mess with almost no midrange presence. Have you tried flipping the Speakeasy cable around and switching the inputs to see if that works?

I tried with an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro. All exhibit the same behavior with various sources (MP3, AAC, CD/AIFF from laptop drive). Flipping the cable so that the 45 degree jack is at the headphone side didn't help. Just wondering if anyone else with both kinds of cables experienced this sound issue with the different VMODA cables?

May 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #14,378 of 23,366
Can't help to think "M-100 copycat" as I'm watching this video. Maybe is just me...
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #14,379 of 23,366
Quote:
Can't help to think "M-100 copycat" as I'm watching this video. Maybe is just me...
rolleyes.gif

Having seen, listened to and felt it. I disagree with almost everything he said. He is really trying to sell these as DJ/Monitors. They are not pro headphones in the slightest. They sound decent enough. The ear cups are nicely shaped and fit well.

But here is the thing. The cable execution is straight, and though the plug seems and feels nice, we should all know that a spring won't provide enough support. A 90 degree or 45 degree execution would have been better. 

The housing is solid but a far far cry from V-Moda. As is the sound. They don't bad, but both the M-80s and M-100s sound better to my ears. They have fair balance, a bit on the warmer side. The sound stage isn't as good as the M-100, nor is the clarity on either the M-80 or M-100. 

The biggest issue with those that make them not M-100 ripoffs is the headband. I don't know what head they designed these after, but heads are NOT shaped like that. I mean WOW. Everyone I've talked to, even people who fully like them are confused. It is like they used an enlarged egg and mistakenly used the wrong side for the shape. I don't think I've ever seen a more poorly designed headband in terms of shape. It looks weird too when on your head. 

Also the hinge is laughable. It is decent, but Val and his team really did something special with the M-100 hinge. After feeling the M-100 hinge, I can't say that the Marshall Monitor hinge feels nice at all. It is a basic hinge. It is like they took a door hinge and miniaturized it and put a slight click in it to make it lock. 

Nothing about these make me think "V-Moda M-100." Nor a ripoff. They are actually most similar to, unsurprisingly, the Marshall Major headphones. All of which had folding designs and non-rotatable cups. As well as the same kind of Marshall amp type finish. and leather headband (though the leather seems to be of nicer quality) and they took out all the plastic parts. 

May 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #14,380 of 23,366
I don't think it is, however, SQ is not everything. The M-100 packaging is better than the M-80s (IMO) and I prefer the larger earcups as well.

I was able to get my M-100s used in new condition for $200 so that was the clincher.
Welcome to the M-100 club BTW. Hope you're enjoying it.

May 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #14,381 of 23,366
Quote:

I tried with an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro. All exhibit the same behavior with various sources (MP3, AAC, CD/AIFF from laptop drive). Flipping the cable so that the 45 degree jack is at the headphone side didn't help. Just wondering if anyone else with both kinds of cables experienced this sound issue with the different VMODA cables?

I have all 3 cables and they all sounded the same, so I think you have a problem with your 1 button cable.  Try to get another one to test or just exchange it from V-MODA.

May 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #14,382 of 23,366
Quote:

Having seen, listened to and felt it. I disagree with almost everything he said. He is really trying to sell these as DJ/Monitors. They are not pro headphones in the slightest. They sound decent enough. The ear cups are nicely shaped and fit well.

But here is the thing. The cable execution is straight, and though the plug seems and feels nice, we should all know that a spring won't provide enough support. A 90 degree or 45 degree execution would have been better. 

The housing is solid but a far far cry from V-Moda. As is the sound. They don't bad, but both the M-80s and M-100s sound better to my ears. They have fair balance, a bit on the warmer side. The sound stage isn't as good as the M-100, nor is the clarity on either the M-80 or M-100. 

The biggest issue with those that make them not M-100 ripoffs is the headband. I don't know what head they designed these after, but heads are NOT shaped like that. I mean WOW. Everyone I've talked to, even people who fully like them are confused. It is like they used an enlarged egg and mistakenly used the wrong side for the shape. I don't think I've ever seen a more poorly designed headband in terms of shape. It looks weird too when on your head. 

Also the hinge is laughable. It is decent, but Val and his team really did something special with the M-100 hinge. After feeling the M-100 hinge, I can't say that the Marshall Monitor hinge feels nice at all. It is a basic hinge. It is like they took a door hinge and miniaturized it and put a slight click in it to make it lock. 

Nothing about these make me think "V-Moda M-100." Nor a ripoff. They are actually most similar to, unsurprisingly, the Marshall Major headphones. All of which had folding designs and non-rotatable cups. As well as the same kind of Marshall amp type finish. and leather headband (though the leather seems to be of nicer quality) and they took out all the plastic parts. 

This is probably the best 'review' I've seen of these cans. The design definitely appears to copy the V-moda style, so you can well imagine a lot of conumers will associate the two without having heard either one.

May 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #14,383 of 23,366
Quote:
This is probably the best 'review' I've seen of these cans. The design definitely appears to copy the V-moda style, so you can well imagine a lot of conumers will associate the two without having heard either one.

These are no where near similar enough that consumers will "associate" the two.  There are a couple broad similarities, but none that are V-MODA specific.  They fold in a similar fashion, but other headphones do as well(think HD280 even).  The hinge functions in a similar way, though it is mechanically different.  They also have a plug on each ear cup, along with a lot of other headphones.  To me they look nothing alike, aesthetically.  The similarities are there, but not so much that you can call it any kind of a copy.  

May 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #14,384 of 23,366
Quote:

These are no where near similar enough that consumers will "associate" the two.  There are a couple broad similarities, but none that are V-MODA specific.  They fold in a similar fashion, but other headphones do as well(think HD280 even).  The hinge functions in a similar way, though it is mechanically different.  They also have a plug on each ear cup, along with a lot of other headphones.  To me they look nothing alike, aesthetically.  The similarities are there, but not so much that you can call it any kind of a copy.  

This is exactly my point. Nothing at all for the Marshall Monitors makes me think "These headphones were designed with M-100s in mind." They use similar design principles to several other headphones. Many headphones fold in a similar way, and each use a different hinge. The Monitors use an unimpressive door-esque hinge, which fails to satisfy like the spring loaded locking hinge of the M-100s. From the aesthetic, to the sound to the design ideas (like the headband and case (or lack thereof)), the two are nothing alike. Confusing the two would be like confusing an apple and a peach. They sorta looks similar (if you squint really hard and allow your imagination to take hold) and have a core, but really look, taste and feel nothing alike. 

May 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #14,385 of 23,366
Quote:

In all fairness to the guy, he is not actually trying to sell anything. This is just an unboxing and first impressions on the headphones, not a full review. The word "Monitor" is on the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back