V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #14,418 of 23,366
and idk about anyone eltse but my Vmoda Lp2s transformed completely after about 1000+hours... i know this sounds crazy but i really think this is the same with the m100. i believe its because of the weight that the drivers have and the diver material is very stiff-how eltse could it make bass like that without the driver flopping around like crazy? this is a theory of mine and could be psychological. but i did notice a difference after about 8months after owning them. i have had them since early 2011 when they came out .

Somebody mentioned the same about the LP´s. He was talking about a burning in of more than 300-400h, and a huge improvement in detail.

Again, break-in of just the driver (i.e. via pink noise), or regular usage (i.e. earpads reshaping, getting used to the sound, etc.)? You'll likely get different results depending on which method, and the first of the two would be more indicative of actual driver break-in.

mostly music like this or music that has enormous amounts of bass
https://soundcloud.com/brosafari/bro-safari-the-drop

i would say the pads didn't take long to form to my head, maby a month i bent them past flat a couple of times because the head clamp was very strong . i listened to my LP2s every day for 2-6 hours on average sometimes a lot more especially when i fly..12 hour flights suck less with them caressing my brain. when i first got them i did 4hour burn in sessions and 2 hours total music time on the subway total for the first 5 days so i figured that was "enough" and than proceeded with my normal 2-6 hours of real head time with my music. about 40 volume on the e17 and they just kept getting better. maby thats brain burn but i think 30 min of listening on any can is enough for your brain to get used to a pair of headphones. IMO i really like these as every day headphones that emulate being at an edm show(i think even better)and they dont ever hurt my ears. :smile:

May 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #14,419 of 23,366
I would like to buy the M-100s but after reading so much about the pain-of-ear cups I have two questions

1. I wear prescription glasses, are they going to be okay to wear with them? If it makes a difference I wear IC Berlin glasses and the ear hooks on those are straight, not the typical curved ones.
2. What is the maximum head size circumference for wearing these comfortably (not 30 minutes use but 2-3 hours) and without stretching out the headband. Could someone that finds them comfortable for several hours use measure their head please? :)  im coming from HD 598/555 so my standard of comfort is very high

Edit: Before anyone asks me to find a pair to try on, I can not find them where I live!

Thanks!

May 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #14,420 of 23,366
Quote:
I would like to buy the M-100s but after reading so much about the pain-of-ear cups I have two questions

1. I wear prescription glasses, are they going to be okay to wear with them? If it makes a difference I wear IC Berlin glasses and the ear hooks on those are straight, not the typical curved ones.
2. What is the maximum head size circumference for wearing these comfortably (not 30 minutes use but 2-3 hours) and without stretching out the headband. Could someone that finds them comfortable for several hours use measure their head please? :)  im coming from HD 598/555 so my standard of comfort is very high

Edit: Before anyone asks me to find a pair to try on, I can not find them where I live!

Thanks!

I can't answer #2, but I wear glasses sometimes if my contacts have a tear in them and I don't have any additional comfort issues with them. Likewise goes for sunglasses now that it's sunny over where I live. XD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
and idk about anyone eltse but my Vmoda Lp2s transformed completely after about 1000+hours... i know this sounds crazy but i really think this is the same with the m100. i believe its because of the weight that the drivers have and the diver material is very stiff-how eltse could it make bass like that without the driver flopping around like crazy? this is a theory of mine and could be psychological. but i did notice a difference after about 8months after owning them. i have had them since early 2011 when they came out .

Somebody mentioned the same about the LP´s. He was talking about a burning in of more than 300-400h, and a huge improvement in detail.

Again, break-in of just the driver (i.e. via pink noise), or regular usage (i.e. earpads reshaping, getting used to the sound, etc.)? You'll likely get different results depending on which method, and the first of the two would be more indicative of actual driver break-in.

mostly music like this or music that has enormous amounts of bass
https://soundcloud.com/brosafari/bro-safari-the-drop

i would say the pads didn't take long to form to my head, maby a month i bent them past flat a couple of times because the head clamp was very strong . i listened to my LP2s every day for 2-6 hours on average sometimes a lot more especially when i fly..12 hour flights suck less with them caressing my brain. when i first got them i did 4hour burn in sessions and 2 hours total music time on the subway total for the first 5 days so i figured that was "enough" and than proceeded with my normal 2-6 hours of real head time with my music. about 40 volume on the e17 and they just kept getting better. maby thats brain burn but i think 30 min of listening on any can is enough for your brain to get used to a pair of headphones. IMO i really like these as every day headphones that emulate being at an edm show(i think even better)and they dont ever hurt my ears.
smile.gif

That's fine and all, but the problem I have with people making claims about "burn-in" is that they say "after X hours they really sound awesome!". So prior to X hours, they sounded not-as-good? After X hours, did the drivers magically transform? They sound way better after X hours because you're used to the sound now? You simply can't make the claim that "they sound way better after X hours" and jump to the conclusion that it's because the drivers changed when the sound you hear depends on a myriad of factors other than just the driver.

I did a pure pink noise only break-in period for the M-100, I didn't touch them for nearly a week, and I heard no noticeable differences in sound quality after 140+ hours. 1000+ hours seems ridiculous for a headphone to magically change its sound; yes, let me buy a headphone and not use it for 42 days to let it get to its best sound potential. Every review for the M-100 is now rendered inaccurate due to lack of burn-in.

May 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #14,421 of 23,366
IMO i noticed a difference. thats it. you will see for yourself. it makes little difference if anyone believes me or not. i didn't use pink noise, it an ok burn in candidate but is nothing compared to bass heavy music and a myriad of different frequency sweeps+headtime . I'm not saying everyone else is wrong or it was bad and now its amazing before break in. it just got better. it dosent or would never take a 1000 hours for someones brain(if it took us that long to get "used to something"we probably wouldn't have successful in populating this planet) to get used to any sound and even than brain burn is temporary and i listen to a multitude of cans so i can have different points of view on whats "flat", "fun", or "balanced" dosent mean its better for anyone. i noticed a difference a long time after i got them. and the general recessed mids and treble still apply. they just got more fluid and clear sounding and the bass became less invasive. but still no the don't become magically "flat" but there was a change and i noticed it. however i do have softee mods on both my crossfades so i will always be hearing something different than someone else who has normal pads. not to mention everyone has different size ears and ear canals. so yea i understand this is hard for people to hear. - ive had them for way too long for the pads breaking in. they broke in long ago. and if you listen to a headphone for a few hours when you get it and than go to break it in for 150 hours your not going to really remember what it actually sounded like before break in 150 hours previously. the last thing i want to do is hype people up for some change for the better in there can that will never happen. sorry for the long post.

May 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #14,422 of 23,366
Quote:
I did a pure pink noise only break-in period for the M-100, I didn't touch them for nearly a week, and I heard no noticeable differences in sound quality after 140+ hours. 1000+ hours seems ridiculous for a headphone to magically change its sound; yes, let me buy a headphone and not use it for 42 days to let it get to its best sound potential. Every review for the M-100 is now rendered inaccurate due to lack of burn-in.

Rudeboybass is talking about the LP2, which is a completely different headphone driver-wise than the M-100. He is just saying that he noticed a difference in clarity in those headphones, after a X number of hours. 

A driver includes a mechanical system that is the responsible of reproducing the noise, and as every mechanical system, it suffers from wear, fatigue and all those processes that affect them. 

The statement that burn-in can make a difference in noise is something that has already been demonstrated empirically (I read an article not very long ago). I don´t really understand what is the big deal with him stating he noticed a difference, even more when as I said he is not the first person stating that. Personally, I am not very good at noticing slight changes in the sound, so I don´t really care, but I don´t feel like the guy to tell him: "What!? Are you insane or something".

In my personal experience the development in sound properties of a headphones is very similar to the evolution of power delivery of a car engine: Some of them don´t evolve at all, some of them evolve really fast during the first thousands of miles, some of them take even more than 100.000 miles to give the best of themselves. Of course, the usage influences on it but, in the end, the change comes sooner or later.

Again, LP2 and M-100 are NOT the same headphone.

May 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #14,423 of 23,366
Well, I did notice a lot more amelioration in the sound after a lot listening to double bass drum heavy music. The bass got tighter, and much less present. I thought it was my head getting used to it, but maybe it's the driver loosing up a little bit.

May 9, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #14,424 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Rudeboybass is talking about the LP2, which is a completely different headphone driver-wise than the M-100. He is just saying that he noticed a difference in clarity in those headphones, after a X number of hours. 

A driver includes a mechanical system that is the responsible of reproducing the noise, and as every mechanical system, it suffers from wear, fatigue and all those processes that affect them. 

The statement that burn-in can make a difference in noise is something that has already been demonstrated empirically (I read an article not very long ago). I don´t really understand what is the big deal with him stating he noticed a difference, even more when as I said he is not the first person stating that. Personally, I am not very good at noticing slight changes in the sound, so I don´t really care, but I don´t feel like the guy to tell him: "What!? Are you insane or something".

In my personal experience the development in sound properties of a headphones is very similar to the evolution of power delivery of a car engine: Some of them don´t evolve at all, some of them evolve really fast during the first thousands of miles, some of them take even more than 100.000 miles to give the best of themselves. Of course, the usage influences on it but, in the end, the change comes sooner or later.

Again, LP2 and M-100 are NOT the same headphone.

Yes, I don't deny that break-in exists for headphone drivers, but the empirical data has been indecisive, and whether or not that indecisive data can actually lead to differences in sound is still in-question as well; there is no definite answer.

Quote:
and idk about anyone eltse but my Vmoda Lp2s transformed completely after about 1000+hours... i know this sounds crazy but i really think this is the same with the m100.

^ Yes he was talking about the LP2, but he also said it can apply to the M-100 too. He also stated that they "transformed completely", which makes no sense regardless of whether or not break-in makes a difference in sound quality; a product, let alone a consumer product, shouldn't fundamentally change like that.

May 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #14,425 of 23,366
i have a question, i havent dropped my headphone once, i take good care of it. BUT i start to see a little crack on the cup where the screw is, i can take a picture on request. but my question is what should i do? my order date was feb 24 2013. Best bet is to contact them myself? and whats the best/worst case scenario?

May 9, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #14,426 of 23,366
I'm pretty sure the problem of cracks is due to excess of torque in the screws over the cups, either produced during the manufacturing process, either produced by several assembling and disassembling processes and a bad estimation of the torque provided by hand (plates, drivers, etc). In your case sounds like a quality control defect and should be covered by warranty. Contact V-moda, you should be fine.

May 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #14,427 of 23,366
I contacted v-moda some days ago for the same reason...Cracked left earcup and I never exchanged shields. Very disappointing as it seems a common issue and all the statements about v-moda products quality are a bit excessive...
They told me to apply for warrranty claim here: http://v-moda.com/warranty/ and then to ship back headphones. But I am from Italy and ship to USA it's quite slow (or expensive if I ship with a fast service) so I have to stay without headphones for at least one month if not more . Why I have to pay for something that is not my fault? Quite disappointed from v-moda...
mad.gif

May 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #14,428 of 23,366
Quote:
I contacted v-moda some days ago for the same reason...Cracked left earcup and I never exchanged shields. Very disappointing as it seems a common issue and all the statements about v-moda products quality are a bit excessive...
They told me to apply for warrranty claim here: http://v-moda.com/warranty/ and then to ship back headphones. But I am from Italy and ship to USA it's quite slow (or expensive if I ship with a fast service) so I have to stay without headphones for at least one month if not more . Why I have to pay for something that is not my fault? Quite disappointed from v-moda...
mad.gif

Or you can wait a bit for V-moda to open up their Europe branch, I believe val said that it would be soon 

May 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #14,430 of 23,366

Thanks!

Quite a few people have comfort issues with the M-100 however, I have a fairly large head (I won't say a big head!) hat size 7 5/8" (US 7 3/4") and I wear Oakley glasses (straight arm like your IC Berlins I guess) all the time. I can wear the M-100 for 2 hours easily before feeling slight discomfort. This manifests as a very dull ache in the anthelix.

I would be unlikely to wear headphones for longer than this without a break anyway and the sensation has gone within 10 mins. I have never owned any headphones over, on or in ear that didn't give some slight discomfort over long periods of use but then I've never tried the Sennheiser's you mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back