V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #14,431 of 23,366
I did a pure pink noise only break-in period for the M-100, I didn't touch them for nearly a week, and I heard no noticeable differences in sound quality after 140+ hours. 1000+ hours seems ridiculous for a headphone to magically change its sound; yes, let me buy a headphone and not use it for 42 days to let it get to its best sound potential. Every review for the M-100 is now rendered inaccurate due to lack of burn-in.

Rudeboybass is talking about the LP2, which is a completely different headphone driver-wise than the M-100. He is just saying that he noticed a difference in clarity in those headphones, after a X number of hours. 

A driver includes a mechanical system that is the responsible of reproducing the noise, and as every mechanical system, it suffers from wear, fatigue and all those processes that affect them. 

The statement that burn-in can make a difference in noise is something that has already been demonstrated empirically (I read an article not very long ago). I don´t really understand what is the big deal with him stating he noticed a difference, even more when as I said he is not the first person stating that. Personally, I am not very good at noticing slight changes in the sound, so I don´t really care, but I don´t feel like the guy to tell him: "What!? Are you insane or something".

In my personal experience the development in sound properties of a headphones is very similar to the evolution of power delivery of a car engine: Some of them don´t evolve at all, some of them evolve really fast during the first thousands of miles, some of them take even more than 100.000 miles to give the best of themselves. Of course, the usage influences on it but, in the end, the change comes sooner or later.

Again, LP2 and M-100 are NOT the same headphone.
+1
Yes the lp2 has a wider isolation ring("dual diaphragm") that separates the inner diaphragm from the outer. They made the ring thinner so that you would get more diaphragm surface on the inner cone for Mid+ high frequency. Could be the lp2 has less bendy stuff so I needs more " loosening up" I haven't got even close to 100hours on the m100 yet but I already experienced an increase in bass impact as a result of the pads wearing in. I used about 20 hours of burn in from jlabaudio.com/burn and am now using every day head time. 2-6 hours

May 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #14,433 of 23,366
I really am finding that listening to the M100 w/ the Fiio e17 amp just isn't an ideal pairing.  I really prefer listening to the headphone straight out of my 5th Gen Touch or iPad Mini without the amp.  It's really strange.  Sure, I can plug the amp in and boost the volume and gain, but I wasn't necessarily just looking for it to be louder, I want clarity and separation and a nice crisp high end and that seems to go away with the amp.  Maybe mine is defective or something.  I have to put the treble on 4 and increase the gain to 6 to get what I'm looking for and that all just seems artificial to me.  It's sad when I think a 140 dollar amp can't improve the sound (at least to something I prefer).

Has anyone given the e12 a good comparison to the e17 yet w/ regards to the M100?  I'm sure I can sell my e17 for almost as much as the e12 costs so besides losing the DAC aspect, the reviews have universally been pretty favorable with regards to the e12 improving the Fiio house sound compared to the other two amps of theirs I've had (e11 and now e17).  Any thoughts on that?  I know miceblue has mentioned that he's heard the e12 is a more laid back and warm sound, so I'm hoping that I'm not making a harsh decision, but as of right now, I just don't like the e17 all that much with the M100.  Maybe I just don't like the M100 all that much.  Hmmmm.

May 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #14,435 of 23,366
I really am finding that listening to the M100 w/ the Fiio e17 amp just isn't an ideal pairing.  I really prefer listening to the headphone straight out of my 5th Gen Touch or iPad Mini without the amp.  It's really strange.  Sure, I can plug the amp in and boost the volume and gain, but I wasn't necessarily just looking for it to be louder, I want clarity and separation and a nice crisp high end and that seems to go away with the amp.  Maybe mine is defective or something.  I have to put the treble on 4 and increase the gain to 6 to get what I'm looking for and that all just seems artificial to me.  It's sad when I think a 140 dollar amp can't improve the sound (at least to something I prefer).

Has anyone given the e12 a good comparison to the e17 yet w/ regards to the M100?  I'm sure I can sell my e17 for almost as much as the e12 costs so besides losing the DAC aspect, the reviews have universally been pretty favorable with regards to the e12 improving the Fiio house sound compared to the other two amps of theirs I've had (e11 and now e17).  Any thoughts on that?  I know miceblue has mentioned that he's heard the e12 is a more laid back and warm sound, so I'm hoping that I'm not making a harsh decision, but as of right now, I just don't like the e17 all that much with the M100.  Maybe I just don't like the M100 all that much.  Hmmmm.

Based on what you're looking for in terms of sound, I don't think you would like the E12 with the M-100. I don't have the E17, but I do have the E7 and the E12 offers a more detailed sound but it still retains the FiiO warm and laid-back sound. I think the C&C BH would be a more ideal pairing if you're looking to spend ~$100 USD.

May 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #14,436 of 23,366
Quote:
Based on what you're looking for in terms of sound, I don't think you would like the E12 with the M-100. I don't have the E17, but I do have the E7 and the E12 offers a more detailed sound but it still retains the FiiO warm and laid-back sound. I think the C&C BH would be a more ideal pairing if you're looking to spend ~$100 USD.

Thanks for the info.  I'll probably grab an e12 as well as the C&C BH and do a little comparison.  I loved how my old e11 sounded with my GR07s so I can just use the e12 for those if all else fails.  :)

May 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #14,438 of 23,366
I haven't had the E17 for long, but I like how they sound with the M-100. This is my first DAC/amp so I don't have much to compare to besides a quick session with the VERZA. I do find that double amping with my phone provides a cleaner sound with less muddy bass than my cMoy.

It seems the E17 tames the bass and brings out the mids a bit. I wish I had my V-80 to compare, but alas my lady friend is its present keeper.

May 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #14,440 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info.  I'll probably grab an e12 as well as the C&C BH and do a little comparison.  I loved how my old e11 sounded with my GR07s so I can just use the e12 for those if all else fails.  :)

If your wallet allows it, the C5 from JDS Labs ($60 USD more than the E12) is an even better pairing with the M-100 and I think the difference in price is justified in its sound quality, cleaner-sounding bass boost, and better interface for mobile use.

May 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #14,441 of 23,366
Quote:
If your wallet allows it, the C5 from JDS Labs ($60 USD more than the E12) is an even better pairing with the M-100 and I think the difference in price is justified in its sound quality, cleaner-sounding bass boost, and better interface for mobile use.

Unfortunately the wallet and the wife are two different entities.  LOL...If I can trade from e17 laterally, it's all good.  The C&C and the e12 allow me to do that.  If neither is sufficient, then I'll work on the wife, lol. I've got other stuff to sell too, so I can probably make the jump if need be.

May 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #14,442 of 23,366
Quote:

Unfortunately the wallet and the wife are two different entities.  LOL...If I can trade from e17 laterally, it's all good.  The C&C and the e12 allow me to do that.  If neither is sufficient, then I'll work on the wife, lol. I've got other stuff to sell too, so I can probably make the jump if need be.

Or try a C421...............straight across for an E17 would be worth it.   I love mine as do I love the C&C BK. 

May 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #14,445 of 23,366
Val, when will you grace this forum with an update on the XL pads?!  I'm beyond anxious, lol!

What he said. Hope they work on Crossfades LP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back