V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #14,222 of 23,366
I
i find that the vocals in some jazz can sound quite milky and smooth. its quite nice actually

I actually found the vocals to be too laid back. When I listened to some of Ella Fitzgerald's work, it seemed that there was something missing to it. The extension in the upper frequences was lacking for me at least. Furthermore, the bass is just too much for jazz. When I listened to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, I really couldn't appreciate it. The Drum Thunderer Suite sounded muddy in copmarison to the Heir Audio 4.ai. But, that is an unfair comparison. The Heirs are just more natural and neutral to my ears, but then again, the M-100 really wasn't designed for jazz. Just my 2 cents...
agree! But just give this a listen! Take care of me by the dream. It might blow your mind! Very slow jazzy vocals. When there's no boomy bass involved the vocals really have an ability to shine

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #14,223 of 23,366
i find that the vocals in some jazz can sound quite milky and smooth. its quite nice actually

I actually found the vocals to be too laid back. When I listened to some of Ella Fitzgerald's work, it seemed that there was something missing to it. The extension in the upper frequences was lacking for me at least. Furthermore, the bass is just too much for jazz. When I listened to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, I really couldn't appreciate it. The Drum Thunderer Suite sounded muddy in copmarison to the Heir Audio 4.ai. But, that is an unfair comparison. The Heirs are just more natural and neutral to my ears, but then again, the M-100 really wasn't designed for jazz. Just my 2 cents...

I listen to smooth jazz and the M-100's are OK with them...I often find the bass guitar taking the center stage instead of the keyboard though.

I wonder how an open-back V-MODA headphone would sound. Can't wait! Hopefully I'll get the same epic-feeling that I got with the K 701 while listening to this trailer for the first time:

I plan on turning my lp2s into open backs haven't figured it out yet

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #14,224 of 23,366
Quote:
I must admit I am one of the people who regrets buying M100, I bought it based on the stellar reviews here and especially on Amazon. M100 doesn't even compare to my Senn Amperior,  and I thought my Amperior was muddy, lacking the clarity and seperation, until I heard the M100. I have burned in the M100 for more than 100 hours and the sound doesn't change much, at least for mine. Now I only use M100 to watch DVD and play games. Sorry for the rant.

They're bassy headphones, but not muddy at all.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #14,225 of 23,366
Quote:

I completely agree with Bruin9999.  I returned the Amperior due to lack of detail and soundstage.

I haven't heard the Amperior, but considering they are the "upgrade" to the HD25-1 II, I can totally see the small soundstage being an issue. That was one of the greatest shortcomings of the HD25-1 II.

The M-100 has a good soundstage, but it tends to be deeper than it is wide somewhat. There is width, but it is less pronounced.

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #14,226 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
I must admit I am one of the people who regrets buying M100, I bought it based on the stellar reviews here and especially on Amazon. M100 doesn't even compare to my Senn Amperior,  and I thought my Amperior was muddy, lacking the clarity and seperation, until I heard the M100. I have burned in the M100 for more than 100 hours and the sound doesn't change much, at least for mine. Now I only use M100 to watch DVD and play games. Sorry for the rant.

muddy and lacking clarity, two terms I would never use in describing these phones.

I can see where he would get those impressions though. Compared to some headphone the M-100 does sound less clear. It's hard for me to adjust listening to the M-100 at home from the K 701 for example since it just sounds so different and instruments don't sound nearly as defined.

As for the Amperior, I remember it being pretty detailed, but the sibilance problem was just a definite no for me.

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #14,228 of 23,366
Quote:
Man, I just ordered yesterday and it feels like it has been 2 months. I keep checking the Order Status...

biggrin.gif
 been there brah

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #14,230 of 23,366
What is the benefit to double-amping the M-100 with the GoDap?
It's not double amping. The DD is a DAC like the CLAS. No built-in amp.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #14,231 of 23,366
Yesterday night, i spent my time for almost 4 hours playing with this bad boy. I was really happy, when the first time i run this with a jazz song, it surprises me with how the way they sound. I remember Tyll mentioned in his review, this M100 is the best basshead audiophile cans. I guess i have to totally agree with that.

This M100 has a very clean sounding beyond my expectation (when i heard the word "basshead"). I use several amps (and combos) during my test to find what best to go with this M100. I throw every music genres i have, and this m100 surprisingly can handle it very well. The amps i used are Fostex HPP1 (sometimes i use it as DAC), Alo RxMK3, Apex Glacier, Pico Power, Alo International and also my desktop amp, the Solo SRG2. I find this M100 is not too picky to pair with an amp. They can go along well with almost every amp i plugged into. VERY nice indeed.

The highs: 
The highs of M100 is very neutral sounding. It is very smooth, clean and far from being too harsh, sibilant or anything like that. I like the highs on this M100. Very smooth presentation. (the NAtional amp is the darkest sounding amp i have, and still sounds good with this). Though, i found some song demand more crisp from this cans - but overall i am satisfied with the highs.

The mids:
I was too afraid to find the mids being too laid back. But hey...it is not the case. The mids to my ears has a fair distance across all the instruments played in almost every songs. I like it much. Is just right where it should be, though sometimes, yes i also find they are a bit laid back for some recordings. But I guess is not a problem at all. The mids is clean and silky smooth. And the best part, i DO enjoy listening Jazz vocal through this M100. This M100 can perform a very smooth presentation for Jazz. The human voice, is just so smooth. Well is not as accurate as my DT1350, but somehow the SQ of this thing is so good and able to create the most romantic nuance i have ever listen to. It applies to every genres i have played.

The bass:
Hmmm...this is the best part. The bass is very good. It has plenty of bass. The bass is solid with a very good texture, though i find at a very bottom end a bit of a roll off, but to me is very fine. The bass is very yummy and has the perfect amount to deliver in every genre and it also can go deep enough. It is not a boomy or muddy bass like that, it is solid enough to listen to. If i said these cans are good with jazz, so they are VERY EXCELLENT performing the electronica/trance, pop, or RnB songs. The bass is just WOW. It is deep, solid, good textured. is just satisfy me most. When playing jazz vocal, with 4 strings bass going on, i did find somehow the bass is a bit exceeding across the mids barrier. But not that much. So i figure how to make it better and i find the best portable amps to use is Apex Glacier( as i was guessing earlier). Apex Glacier indeed able to tighten up the bass and bring the mids forward a bit and make this M100  becoming very delicious to play with jazz.

The Soundstage:
The staging i find it has a good depth and height to it. But not wider enough. I think is okay. Not bad at all. The imaging also not bad. I still able to catch up easily of where the singer and other players position. Very nice.

The combo of AK100 + Alo International, with AK100 being EQed is also very good to go with. And my last test was using Solo SRG2 (with DACPort LX) which i find  very excellent too to go with M100, the bass is well controlled, the mids is very clear, and the highs is more alive.

Overall, to me, this VMODA M100 is definitely a keeper ! I am very happy 
size]

I hope sound is getting better after sometimes.

Here some picture i taken during my comparison.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #14,232 of 23,366
Quote:
Yesterday night, i spent my time for almost 4 hours playing with this bad boy. I was really happy, when the first time i run this with a jazz song, it surprises me with how the way they sound. I remember Tyll mentioned in his review, this M100 is the best basshead audiophile cans. I guess i have to totally agree with that.

This M100 has a very clean sounding beyond my expectation (when i heard the word "basshead"). I use several amps (and combos) during my test to find what best to go with this M100. I throw every music genres i have, and this m100 surprisingly can handle it very well. The amps i used are Fostex HPP1 (sometimes i use it as DAC), Alo RxMK3, Apex Glacier, Pico Power, Alo International and also my desktop amp, the Solo SRG2. I find this M100 is not too picky to pair with an amp. They can go along well with almost every amp i plugged into. VERY nice indeed.

The highs: 
The highs of M100 is very neutral sounding. It is very smooth, clean and far from being too harsh, sibilant or anything like that. I like the highs on this M100. Very smooth presentation. (the NAtional amp is the darkest sounding amp i have, and still sounds good with this). Though, i found some song demand more crisp from this cans - but overall i am satisfied with the highs.

The mids:
I was too afraid to find the mids being too laid back. But hey...it is not the case. The mids to my ears has a fair distance across all the instruments played in almost every songs. I like it much. Is just right where it should be, though sometimes, yes i also find they are a bit laid back for some recordings. But I guess is not a problem at all. The mids is clean and silky smooth. And the best part, i DO enjoy listening Jazz vocal through this M100. This M100 can perform a very smooth presentation for Jazz. The human voice, is just so smooth. Well is not as accurate as my DT1350, but somehow the SQ of this thing is so good and able to create the most romantic nuance i have ever listen to. It applies to every genres i have played.

The bass:
Hmmm...this is the best part. The bass is very good. It has plenty of bass. The bass is solid with a very good texture, though i find at a very bottom end a bit of a roll off, but to me is very fine. The bass is very yummy and has the perfect amount to deliver in every genre and it also can go deep enough. It is not a boomy or muddy bass like that, it is solid enough to listen to. If i said these cans are good with jazz, so they are VERY EXCELLENT performing the electronica/trance, pop, or RnB songs. The bass is just WOW. It is deep, solid, good textured. is just satisfy me most. When playing jazz vocal, with 4 strings bass going on, i did find somehow the bass is a bit exceeding across the mids barrier. But not that much. So i figure how to make it better and i find the best portable amps to use is Apex Glacier( as i was guessing earlier). Apex Glacier indeed able to tighten up the bass and bring the mids forward a bit and make this M100  becoming very delicious to play with jazz.

The Soundstage:
The staging i find it has a good depth and height to it. But not wider enough. I think is okay. Not bad at all. The imaging also not bad. I still able to catch up easily of where the singer and other players position. Very nice.

The combo of AK100 + Alo International, with AK100 being EQed is also very good to go with. And my last test was using Solo SRG2 (with DACPort LX) which i find  very excellent too to go with M100, the bass is well controlled, the mids is very clear, and the highs is more alive.

Overall, to me, this VMODA M100 is definitely a keeper ! I am very happy 
size]

I hope sound is getting better after sometimes.

Here some picture i taken during my comparison.

Awesome review!!!  Do you ever use the Apex Glacier as a DAC?  I'm shopping for a AMP/DAC combo for my Android phone and computer.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #14,233 of 23,366
Quote:
Awesome review!!!  Do you ever use the Apex Glacier as a DAC?  I'm shopping for a AMP/DAC combo for my Android phone and computer.

I'm surprised you didn't consider the VERZA :wink:.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #14,234 of 23,366
If i compared between centrance dacport (the one with an amp) vs glacier vs alo international plug into my laptop...i would say on the dac alone...both glacier and international surpass the dacport in term of detailing and clarity. But all of them is quite good in term of overall smoothness. If you like more mellow sounding with more body, more bass and a tad bigger sounding....alo international is way to go. Glacier has a bit of dryer sound and snappier sound. It is perfect to pair with a slower character of the headphones. But both Inter and Glacier is surely above average dac in their class.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #14,235 of 23,366
I've decided to retire my superhero/patriotic shield + alternate ear pad color scheme and go back to stock. I've had this red/blue setup for a about a month now and just got sick of it. You can clearly see the white ear pad on the left graying and yellowing with use. Thanks again to DrSheep for trading shields with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back