Upgrades to HD-580s Completed (Low Cost)
Dec 5, 2007 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Penchum

Headphoneus Supremus
So far, I have upgraded the stock cable to the HD-650 cable and yesterday, I replaced the outer grills with new ones for an HD-600. I have to say, I wasn't prepared for the sound change. The cable swap did the least improvement, but once I split the old cable to have a look, I found "opens" in the wiring, so having the heavier duty cable from the HD-650s makes me feel better. While I was getting ready to change the grills, a few tests on the old grills told me a bunch! If you blow air through them, they are very restrictive! I had no idea this was the case. If you blow air through the HD-600 grills, they are far less restrictive. Once the HD-600 grills were mounted, a good listening session showed me that the bass had been extended even deeper and the entire spectrum sounded more in the direction of the HD-650 than before. All in all, it was a worth while upgrade. Plus, it makes the HD-580s look very cool!! I attached a couple of pics. HD-580 on left, HD-650 on right.

Attachment 194 Attachment 196 Attachment 198

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now try the foam mod

Foam mod?? Can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Dec 5, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 9
ive tried the foam mod(not the ones at the back of the driver) just the front foam. Its very easy and its reversible so in case you didnt like the changes just put them back in.

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks d-cee! Have you done this yourself? I'm interested in how it might change the sound further.
biggrin.gif

i've removed the big foamies, but not the small ones, not yet anyway

my HD580s are also grill and cable modded and i found i enjoyed them more as a laid back and relaxed phone so kept the big foams in as removing the foams makes them significantly brighter. i prefer the presentation of my K701 and DT880 when i'm after a bright signature

a common mod is the "stocking mod" and that is removing the big foams and putting a cut-out of some outstretched women's stockings so that hair and other bits don't fall into the driver enclosure

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've removed the big foamies, but not the small ones, not yet anyway

my HD580s are also grill and cable modded and i found i enjoyed them more as a laid back and relaxed phone so kept the big foams in as removing the foams makes them significantly brighter. i prefer the presentation of my K701 and DT880 when i'm after a bright signature

a common mod is the "stocking mod" and that is removing the big foams and putting a cut-out of some outstretched women's stockings so that hair and other bits don't fall into the driver enclosure

Thanks! I figured brightness was what others were after. I too would prefer to keep them relaxed. Most of the time, when I've been listening to my HD-650s and I want something different to listen to, I put on the HD-580s. Similar but different seems to work well.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back