Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #241 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by pluk2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this a bit of a n00b-ish question, but surely if the drivers came out of your Shure SE530s, and have been used, wouldn't they already be burnt in?

Unless there is something extra about burning in drivers I'm not sure of?

Your probably right...its wishful thinking and honestly a gentler way of saying I'm not too impressed with the sound, but I'm not making a judgment until I listen to it more.

Unless someone can correct me that reshelled earphones benefit from burn ins...

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #243 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should sound better than before, clarity should be better as well as soundstage.

IANAL, but I'm not so sure that this going to always be the case. For one, drivers could get damaged being moved from one IEM to the next. Secondly given that the position of the driver is relative to not just the ear drum, but also to the exit of the sound bores the layout and distances surely would have changed due to the different environment within the custom shell. Both of these could have a negative effect on the sound signature.

With respect to the first point, I am sure UM take the time to test the drivers prior to, and after earpiece construction. Given the information on these forums, I'm sure the guys at UM know what they're doing. But with regards to the second point, I'm of the opinion that re-shelling universal IEMs is taking a bit of a gamble and that you're actual mileage may vary based on various factors such as age of driver, shape of custom shell relative to the generic shell, introduction of new components such as crossovers, or drivers from other earpieces, etc.

Not trying to incite a flame war here, just offering up some points for debate.
smile.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #244 of 3,931
Could have a negative effect, however one would have to do a terrible job at placing the driver. Yes, the drivers now may be farther away, however the larger diameter soundbore and the reduced angle the drivers are outputting at. There should rather be a significant improvement prior to remolding. Is this your first pair of custom? if it is it could possibly be that you're not wearing the monitors correctly.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #245 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardson 1L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my earphones came in today! Pretty excited. All in all, the total time it took from mailing to receiving was about 3.5 weeks. Here is a very initial review/impression.

I got a nice carrying case with cleaner, my old SE 530 shells, and an extra cable (im pretty sure its the $22 option.)

IMG_0844.jpg

The new shells are very well done, and the fit seems to be perfect. Will do a more in depth analysis later on.

I would like to take some time to talk about the artwork. I am satisfied with the overall results, however In my opinion, the artwork could have been better.

These are the images I sent:

jpg.jpg
and
png.png

I requested the artwork be done in grey. This is what I got.

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Notice the slight yellow/orange discolorations. I should also note that the scales were supposed to be on the left ear, and the triangle on the right. They are reversed.

When you compare the artwork to something like this:
Ear Art Gallery - Community - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

There's definitely room for improvement.

Initial sound impressions are OK. Hopefully these require burn in time...I will let you know in a week or so!

I've been thinking about it... were the images you posted here the exact size/resolution that you gave to UM? Because they are rather small and could be the reason for the poor quality.

I also took into consideration that the scale artwork they replaced wasn't single colored and would require a little effort on their part to remove unwanted portions of color to provide them with an appropriate image. Maybe they didn't think you would mind and just grabbed some of their own clip art. Not saying I approve of what they've done. Frankly, I'm still horrified! I can't believe the discoloration wasn't corrected either.

The images I'm using for my shells, I actually "mastered" myself, giving them an image more than large enough to provide every detail (1,000 x 1,000 pixels), using only one color. The image should require no adjusting on their part and is ready for use. I'm hoping it looks as nice as I picture in my mind, but your images worry me.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #246 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about it... were the images you posted here the exact size/resolution that you gave to UM? Because they are rather small and could be the reason for the poor quality.

I also took into consideration that the scale artwork they replaced wasn't single colored and would require a little effort on their part to remove unwanted portions of color to provide them with an appropriate image. Maybe they didn't think you would mind and just grabbed some of their own clip art. Not saying I approve of what they've done. Frankly, I'm still horrified! I can't believe the discoloration wasn't corrected either.

The images I'm using for my shells, I actually "mastered" myself, giving them an image more than large enough to provide every detail (1,000 x 1,000 pixels), using only one color. The image should require no adjusting on their part and is ready for use. I'm hoping it looks as nice as I picture in my mind, but your images worry me.

Like i said before, providing large images with extra detail isn't gonna help u at all. They would probably be unable to do the picture exactly as u wanted and would scale down on the details.

Importantly, did you run your images by Sam before deciding on that artwork? If he said it was fine then I wouldn't worry too much.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #247 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The images I sent were of a higher resolution...I just found no reason to post a blown up picture of artwork on this forum. However, even if there was a problem with the images I submitted, I should have been notified that there was a problem with them and that I needed to submit another or change my design.

@maodi/everyone else: These are my first customs. I'm coming from full sized headphones down to IEMs because most of my time now is spent in the library studying.

I suspected that because these were my first pair of customs, there was a chance that I was not properly fitting them inside my ear. I saw the audiologist today who did my impressions and he verified that I have been properly fitting the customs in my ear, and that the seal was good. He was interested in the customs I got...he is a licensed westone supplier and usually does earmolds for westones line of products. He was impressed with the quality of the shell and the price I spent to reshell.

Anyways more on the sound later. I'm still listening to a lot of music, and one thing that may have skewed my initial impressions was that the month of waiting for my IEMs I was listening mostly to my HD650s.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #248 of 3,931
I just bought some used UE10Pro on the cheap that I'll need to get remolded (while waiting to gather the money for the JH13Pro). I guess UM is the best bet. I've been told by someone at UM that they are able to tune the IEM to match the sound signature of the originals and that they could provide the graphics to prove it. Pretty interesting!

From what i've seen here, I won't ask for custom artwork as it dosen't look good at all... I will be getting and sending my impressions this week providing, of course that I get to place my order with Sam.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #249 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kn0x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought some used UE10Pro on the cheap that I'll need to get remolded (while waiting to gather the money for the JH13Pro). I guess UM is the best bet. I've been told by someone at UM that they are able to tune the IEM to match the sound signature of the originals and that they could provide the graphics to prove it. Pretty interesting!

From what i've seen here, I won't ask for custom artwork as it dosen't look good at all... I will be getting and sending my impressions this week providing, of course that I get to place my order with Sam.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Hey that's awesome! to be honest, that's the only pair of UM's that i've seen that has horrible artwork. The rest has been absolutely superb, including my logos and name. If you have to get artwork, i don't think it would be a problem as long it's not something that looks like the surface of mars.

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #250 of 3,931
I am planning to get the Mages.
smily_headphones1.gif
. I don't have any artwork in my mind yet, just put my name. Or simple chinese caligraphy of the word ear ( 耳 ) or sound ( 音 ) , or mmm... 'the head-fi' logo, just to show how much I love head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
..... Wondering if head-fi allow us to do that ?

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #251 of 3,931
Back when I was contemplating artwork I thought something like (楽園) or simply (天) would be good =]

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #252 of 3,931
(天) : Heaven, sky ... Good!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the idea
smily_headphones1.gif
Or just this smiley that I always use ->
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #255 of 3,931
Just sent my SE530 to UM to get remolded. Will post results when I get them back...in purple (what was I thinking....?)
I must say, their communication has been really great, they even sent me a reminder e-mail to let them know when I actually send them (it took me 2 weeks to get new impressions). Used the standard UM email...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back