Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #256 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcdejesus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question: what's the fastest way to contact unique melody? I've sent them an e-mail for my SF5Pro remolds 2 days back and haven't heard from them. Thanks

The faster way would be to MSN them. First page for information. It takes them usually a week to reply to emails.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #257 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by hammck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just sent my SE530 to UM to get remolded. Will post results when I get them back...in purple (what was I thinking....?)
I must say, their communication has been really great, they even sent me a reminder e-mail to let them know when I actually send them (it took me 2 weeks to get new impressions). Used the standard UM email...

I ordered purple too. I'm actually looking forward to it. I kinda like purple, and it's distinctive. I'm also getting a violet Enyo cable.

I sent mine about a month ago (Klipsch X10 remolds). Priority mail took about 2 weeks, and then there was a long Chinese holiday (the moon festival). I'm hoping they'll get into the lab this week.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #258 of 3,931
Hey everyone

So listening to my super.fi 5 pros remolded, and they sound great so far. I think I hyped this up wayyy too much for me, because without considering burn in, and listening to a 192 encoded mp3 through the regular line out on my ipod classic, its not much as a jaw-dropping experience.

I will (when i get the time) to go and test this out with proper portable gig.

But for the time being, I have an important question.

How can you tell there are 3 drivers inside the shell instead of 2?

my casing is clear, so I'm looking at it, and i see 2 'drivers' banded together, but it seems there's a smaller 'driver' looking box off to the side, and I'm wondering if that is the 3rd driver.

I originally ordered an additional driver to my superfi 5 pros, so I'm confused as to whether they actually added a new one or not.

Sorry unfortunately I don't have pictures to provide, but they look friggn sweet.

Please answer!!

thanks!

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #259 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone

So listening to my super.fi 5 pros remolded, and they sound great so far. I think I hyped this up wayyy too much for me, because without considering burn in, and listening to a 192 encoded mp3 through the regular line out on my ipod classic, its not much as a jaw-dropping experience.

I will (when i get the time) to go and test this out with proper portable gig.

But for the time being, I have an important question.

How can you tell there are 3 drivers inside the shell instead of 2?

my casing is clear, so I'm looking at it, and i see 2 'drivers' banded together, but it seems there's a smaller 'driver' looking box off to the side, and I'm wondering if that is the 3rd driver.

I originally ordered an additional driver to my superfi 5 pros, so I'm confused as to whether they actually added a new one or not.

Sorry unfortunately I don't have pictures to provide, but they look friggn sweet.

Please answer!!

thanks!

That sounds like three to me, but can only confirm with pictures.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #260 of 3,931
But it also doesn't sound right, if there's a dual element driver then it dones't make sense. The SF5 doesn't use dual element drivers, and inorder to add a dual element driver that means they must;ve taken one out to make it a triple drive.r...hmmm

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #261 of 3,931
Hm i will go home and try to get my hands on some good pcitures.

but i can worry about that later, because I trust UM, as they have been very responsive and trusting!

But since this is my first customs, I'm a little bit worried about the comfort.
What 'defines' comfort? When i chew (e.g., biting down teeth, or yawning) i can feel the customs moving around making sounds (like microphonics, but its not the wire thats making the sound)

and the plastic edge that the sound comes from is noticeably up on my ear canals, so it is a bit uncomfortable. But maybe that comes with getting used to?
Please tell me this is the first signs of getting used to a custom!

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #262 of 3,931
Quote:

Hm i will go home and try to get my hands on some good pcitures.

but i can worry about that later, because I trust UM, as they have been very responsive and trusting!

But since this is my first customs, I'm a little bit worried about the comfort.
What 'defines' comfort? When i chew (e.g., biting down teeth, or yawning) i can feel the customs moving around making sounds (like microphonics, but its not the wire thats making the sound)

and the plastic edge that the sound comes from is noticeably up on my ear canals, so it is a bit uncomfortable. But maybe that comes with getting used to?
Please tell me this is the first signs of getting used to a custom!

If the movement isn't causing you to lose seal, then you are perfectly fine. As long as the customs stay in and seal with movement that is reasonable, vigorous laughing doesn't count...

If it seems really deep and irritates you, then it's just personal preference. Some prefer their customs not too deep, so though they are made right they might not fit what you like yourself. If you find it really irritating, just get UM to make the canal a tiny bit shorter, i find a canal that is too short makes it easier to lose seal.

Good luck!

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #263 of 3,931
actually i just used my phone and some quick ps action
here you go:

98484572.jpg

222mwo.jpg

and to add to that, I just got an email from UM regarding the question i had

Quote:

Hi Joe

yes, now the 5pro add low drive inside ,it is 2ways 3drievs,(dual bass one high)
do u like this sound? how the comfort?

thx

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #265 of 3,931
ahhh *dances with gleefulness, as subtle as I can in a public cafe*

but what does Sam (?) mean when its 2 way 3 drivers?
Does this mean that the crossover is only still for duel driver, but divided 3 ways?
Or does the circuitry of the crossover re-wired to equally divide the low, mids, and highs?

currently listening to some antoine dufour, omg.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #266 of 3,931
Quote:

ahhh *dances with gleefulness, as subtle as I can in a public cafe*

but what does Sam (?) mean when its 2 way 3 drivers?
Does this mean that the crossover is only still for duel driver, but divided 3 ways?
Or does the circuitry of the crossover re-wired to equally divide the low, mids, and highs?

currently listening to some antoine dufour, omg.

2 Way means it's split two ways. So your small little tiny driver plays the high ad high-mid frequency parts, while your two big drivers play the low mid and low frequencies.

A three way would mean the signal is split three ways signals, high mi nd low which each setis played by dedicated driver/s

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #267 of 3,931
Hm... i had the understanding that the remold would be cross-overed to have a 3 way split between high mid and lows..
Has it always been a 2 way split for all of the remolds + drivers from UM?

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #268 of 3,931
Quote:

Hm... i had the understanding that the remold would be cross-overed to have a 3 way split between high mid and lows..
Has it always been a 2 way split for all of the remolds + drivers from UM?

No. The UM Mages are 3 Way Crossover, also if you add a driver to the TF10, they change it to three way

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #269 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. The UM Mages are 3 Way Crossover, also if you add a driver to the TF10, they change it to three way

but not for a super.fi? I kind of wish i knew that going in :\

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #270 of 3,931
Quote:

but not for a super.fi? I kind of wish i knew that going in :\

There's no biggie. Don't worry, a two way crossover can be just as good as a three way. JH10 vs JH10X3 is a very good example. Jerry wouldn't spend time making the jh10 if the 10X3 is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back