Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #4,501 of 5,992
Well I have found a nice used pair of J$ Denon pads but is there a tutorial on how to make the J$ ones fit? ...after searching i cant find anything and not sure if I´ll be brave enough to jump into the unknown and possibly skrew up a pair of J$ pads and the orginal ones too :frowning2:

Also has anyone experimented with opamps for the Ti HD...if so anyone find a combo that has great synergy with the PRO900? Im using AD797 in the buffers and OPA2111kp in the I/V and also have a couple others like the LME49720 and LME49710´s that I´ll experiment with!

Hopefully these will live up to the hype 
:p

Where did you find them pads and for how much? :D If it is the same as with attaching the XB700, then it is pretty straight forward. Cut one pair of the stock pads up. Best to use a Stanley knife or something similar. First important thing is to cut the velour pads as close as you can to the round retention bracket with as least leftovers from the stock pads as possible. Then get yourself some decent glue, preferably something that holds well but that you could clean it off afterwards if you get your pads glued on a bit off target. The second most important thing is get the new pads aligned really really good, cause if you glue them on, and they are off centre then the headphones look "wrong" and since the drivers on the PRO900 are off centre, the pads my get in the way of the driver thus blocking the sound.

May 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #4,502 of 5,992
Quote:
Where did you find them pads and for how much?
biggrin.gif
If it is the same as with attaching the XB700, then it is pretty straight forward. Cut one pair of the stock pads up. Best to use a Stanley knife or something similar. First important thing is to cut the velour pads as close as you can to the round retention bracket with as least leftovers from the stock pads as possible. Then get yourself some decent glue, preferably something that holds well but that you could clean it off afterwards if you get your pads glued on a bit off target. The second most important thing is get the new pads aligned really really good, cause if you glue them on, and they are off centre then the headphones look "wrong" and since the drivers on the PRO900 are off centre, the pads my get in the way of the driver thus blocking the sound.

Right OK thanks for that...and it was from the FS here, well I actually made a thread and he PM´ed me, it was for £35 (brand new though) so a bit more than I would have liked to spend on pads...but owel haha 
biggrin.gif

Just found this after ALLOT of searching haha http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread/840

Any songs I should listen too when my PRO900 arrives that I will be amazed by 
basshead.gif
...I like allot of Dubstep (more chillstep stuff such as Blackmill) and also Trance 

Wack me together an awsome playlist that will give me shivers please guys! 
tongue.gif

May 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #4,503 of 5,992
I know this might not be for your taste but give it a try :p it is best to have it in flac though :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmoEH6rkhQ

The PRO900 sound excellent with this song.

May 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #4,505 of 5,992
Quote:
Right OK thanks for that...and it was from the FS here, well I actually made a thread and he PM´ed me, it was for £35 (brand new though) so a bit more than I would have liked to spend on pads...but owel haha 
biggrin.gif

Just found this after ALLOT of searching haha http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread/840

Any songs I should listen too when my PRO900 arrives that I will be amazed by 
basshead.gif
...I like allot of Dubstep (more chillstep stuff such as Blackmill) and also Trance 

Wack me together an awsome playlist that will give me shivers please guys! 
tongue.gif

Anything by Infected Mushroom, Distance (the album Repercussions) and Massive Attack is when Pro 900 shines IMO.
You need this in FLAC though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK5-TAcWfOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtd1uPh3I4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiK2JlBpzvI

May 14, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #4,506 of 5,992
Ok i´ll try and get a hold of some of those songs...thanks guys

I always rip in 320kbps (cans werent terribly detailed) can you hear a difference in FLAC?

I listened to that Camo & Krooked - Funk You and I like that allot...reminds me of a few Deadmau5 songs like Animal Rights (they´ll be in my PRO900 playlist together haha...cheers) 

The other stuff is harder to source...will have to make an Amazon mp3 account i think (where do you buy your music from?)

BTW for all you dubstep fans (chillstep or more hardcore) check out this 1hour mix...its a free download of all the best stuff from Liquid dubsteps youtube channel...its AMAZING will be the first thing my PRO900´s hear 
biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A080E1oK7aM

May 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #4,508 of 5,992
Just got my pro's, and on first impression, they have A LOT of bass. However, they sound really muddy paired with my fiio e17. I have the sennheiser hd 598, and i can't hear many things that i could with that on the 900s. Is this something that improves with burn in? The mid range seems completely over run by the bass, and the highs are also somewhat recessed. I knew they were bassy, but the bass is killing everything else. From what i've heard, these headphones go through some pretty crazy changes in the first 100 hours of burn-in. 

May 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #4,509 of 5,992
Hello everyone,

I just bought some Ultrasone Pro 900's yesterday they will be hear tommorrow.. I use a Lyr and have about 40 sets of tubes so it will be interesting to see if I can tame some of this Sibilance with some of the warmish Mullard tubes..
Or Amperex. Or who knows one of the many haha..

So when you guys say sibilance when is it most obvious.. I plan on using these mostly for Mixing and casual listening.

Thanx

May 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #4,511 of 5,992
Quote:
I personally cant really hear a difference between cables AT ALL aswell as many audio professionals, scientifically they dont change the frequency responce either so why would you hear a difference unless something is wrong with the cable, i.e broken...I would save your money IMO, I dont want to turn this thread into another cable discussion but go read a few threads on the matter is all im trying to say before commiting such a large sum of money!

haha only comment I will make is I have alot of high end studio equipment as I do Sound Engineering on the side and have been playing the Guitar for 33 years.. Recently Music Radar did a test of cables one was a 1000.00 interconnect cable and all they told the 20 listeners was that the other set was a cheap set not worth 5.00. so they set the test up same music same headphones only thing they changed randomly with each listener was the interconnect.. You know what the 5.00 interconnect was .. hahah was two RCA connectors with wire coat hangers attaches... 90% of the group choose the wire coat hangers as the 1000.00 pair.. I can assure you in the audio field we do use good cable but hahah all the cables are the same really any well shielded cable is all you need.. Companies thrive in the audiophile world off of people wanting to ge some 2% incrase and pay ungodly amount's of money..
I have in the past and I learned I have guitar cables that cost me 200.00 a piece and ones that are 10.99 andy they sound the same no difference at all both are shielded with OFC copper.

May 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #4,512 of 5,992
Quote:
Just got my pro's, and on first impression, they have A LOT of bass. However, they sound really muddy paired with my fiio e17. I have the sennheiser hd 598, and i can't hear many things that i could with that on the 900s. Is this something that improves with burn in? The mid range seems completely over run by the bass, and the highs are also somewhat recessed. I knew they were bassy, but the bass is killing everything else. From what i've heard, these headphones go through some pretty crazy changes in the first 100 hours of burn-in. 

That sounds weird. Pro 900 are very detailed and revealing headphones. Have you tried them with another amp?

May 15, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #4,513 of 5,992
has anyone ever locked their earpads back in a different position than what they were in earlier and noticed distortion in the sound? Ive had my pro 900s for almost a week thinking they had a defect only to place an earpad back on and fix everything. I never experienced anything like it before. the distortion was slight, but was driving my absolutely crazy!! 

now that everythings fixed i am absolutely in love with these things. freaking killer with edm!! quality recordings like tiesto have such crispness and feel!

May 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #4,514 of 5,992
Well just got the Ultrasone Pro 900's in.

My first reaction's: negative the first thing of course I had to be reminded me of was "Made in Taiwan" as I looked at them they look the same as my Ultrasone 700's that are ancient with bettter earpads.

So I have not done a fair judgement on them yet but here is my initial reaction.

1. Unplugged my LCD-2's from the Lyr turned down the volume to 1/4 I usually run the Lyr at 12 noon.
2. I am running 1960's Amperex tubes right now. I notice no sibilance at all with Flac first thing I listened to was Rock John 5's new Album the Castle if anything I sense a bit of high's slightly recessed. This was not the case with the Ultrasone 700's or the LCD-2's
It is not horrible recessed but it is recessed. I am not perceiving any boomy bass as I have heard some say. The 900's surely have a different sound to me then the Ultrasone 700's which are the only Ultrasone's that I can compare I would say the soundstage is greatly enhanced.
3. Ohh as soon as I did plug them in I turned the Lyr back up to exactly where I had the LCD-2's 12 O clock
Just for mention I do not believe in Headphone burnin at all I have never heard headphones change at all and I have ton's now being fair these have titanium drivers like some of the Koss phones so in my thought titanium ain't gonna change much since is so freaking strong.as schiit.
Now I have not given you my final thoughts accept I expected a bit more from them.. I thought I was gong to hear some amazing Bass or something I don't see where they are much bassier thant the Ultrasone 700's just a bit..
So far they sound ok at best. I am gong to test them with some high bit rate music 96hz and 192 bit and a few different Genres and low bit rate..

I will give ya my final thoughts a a few weeks...

May 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #4,515 of 5,992
Quote:
Ok i´ll try and get a hold of some of those songs...thanks guys

I always rip in 320kbps (cans werent terribly detailed) can you hear a difference in FLAC?

I listened to that Camo & Krooked - Funk You and I like that allot...reminds me of a few Deadmau5 songs like Animal Rights (they´ll be in my PRO900 playlist together haha...cheers) 

The other stuff is harder to source...will have to make an Amazon mp3 account i think (where do you buy your music from?)

BTW for all you dubstep fans (chillstep or more hardcore) check out this 1hour mix...its a free download of all the best stuff from Liquid dubsteps youtube channel...its AMAZING will be the first thing my PRO900´s hear 
biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A080E1oK7aM

Who would want that? You actually listen to youtube quality bitrate sound stream? yuck that sucks arse.. 320k is my minimum and that is obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back