Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #4,486 of 5,992
Well it doesn't surprise me that the price shoot up like that. For example 4 years ago I have bought Sennheiser HD 215 for 32£ in store in central London (Turnkey was the shop as I recall). Now the cheapest you can get from a trusted supplier is around 60£! That is almost double the price what I have paid.
So that the price of PRO900 gone up by this much doesn't strike me at all.

May 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #4,488 of 5,992
Hey...I have the PRO900 on the way and got a few questions for you guys:

With my Titanium HD and ZO2.3 do you think this will be enough power for them...maybe its not optimal but for someone with a restricted budget is it absolutly worth getting a more powerful amp for them?

Is this the Kee´s mod everyone is talking about? post #70 if so is it suggested to do this?

Also I keep reading that you need a certain position for them to sound best, where is this position, is it not just centre of the can? 

Im a basshead with DT770´s that I LOVE!!! Hopefully it will be the upgrade Im after for more forward mids and some more detail 
tongue.gif

Sorry for all the question...cant wait for them to arrive! 
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #4,489 of 5,992
Quote:
I used the Black Dragon and balanced them as well. Gave a nice roundness to the bass and tamed those wild highs.

Hello. 
popcorn.gif

I just got my 900s from B&H for $329 with a 3 year warranty. I have them burning in with different genres and a burn-in program. So far they sound harsh with great bass. A bit like my PRO 550s. My 550s took at least three days to sound decent and these take longer so I am not in a rush. Anyway, like many here, I have my eyes set on a Blue Dragon cable. I am just wondering what the differences were between the Blue and Black Dragon (I do not want the Silver).

The Blue Dragon is $170 and says "It has the same geometry structure as the Silver Dragon Version 3 only it uses UP-OCC pure copper." The Silver Dragon V3 uses 4 x 99.99998% UP-OCC Stranded Silver 24AWG Teflon insulated stranded conductors.

The Black Dragon is $195 and says "The Black Dragon V2 uses a 4 x 21.5AWG Teflon insulated stranded conductors using pure single crystallized UP-OCC pure copper with 7N purity 99.99998%."

So what sound differences are between the two and which is right for the 900? From descriptions I've read they seem similar. 
confused_face_2.gif

May 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #4,490 of 5,992
Quote:
Hello. 
popcorn.gif

The Blue Dragon is $170 and says "It has the same geometry structure as the Silver Dragon Version 3 only it uses UP-OCC pure copper." The Silver Dragon V3 uses 4 x 99.99998% UP-OCC Stranded Silver 24AWG Teflon insulated stranded conductors.

The Black Dragon is $195 and says "The Black Dragon V2 uses a 4 x 21.5AWG Teflon insulated stranded conductors using pure single crystallized UP-OCC pure copper with 7N purity 99.99998%."
So what sound differences are between the two and which is right for the 900? From descriptions I've read they seem similar. 
confused_face_2.gif

I personally cant really hear a difference between cables AT ALL aswell as many audio professionals, scientifically they dont change the frequency responce either so why would you hear a difference unless something is wrong with the cable, i.e broken...I would save your money IMO, I dont want to turn this thread into another cable discussion but go read a few threads on the matter is all im trying to say before commiting such a large sum of money!

May 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #4,491 of 5,992
Quote:
I personally cant really hear a difference between cables AT ALL aswell as many audio professionals, scientifically they dont change the frequency responce either so why would you hear a difference unless something is wrong with the cable, i.e broken...I would save your money IMO, I dont want to turn this thread into another cable discussion but go read a few threads on the matter is all im trying to say before commiting such a large sum of money!

I respect that. I am judging from several posts reporting change with Moon Audio cables. I myself have heard a change with my LCD-2 cable, going from the Audeze to a Q, so I feel they do...for some headphones, at-least.

May 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #4,492 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey...I have the PRO900 on the way and got a few questions for you guys:

With my Titanium HD and ZO2.3 do you think this will be enough power for them...maybe its not optimal but for someone with a restricted budget is it absolutly worth getting a more powerful amp for them?

Is this the Kee´s mod everyone is talking about? post #70 if so is it suggested to do this?

Also I keep reading that you need a certain position for them to sound best, where is this position, is it not just centre of the can? 

Im a basshead with DT770´s that I LOVE!!! Hopefully it will be the upgrade Im after for more forward mids and some more detail 
tongue.gif

Sorry for all the question...cant wait for them to arrive! 
biggrin.gif

Your Titanium HD has better amplification than the Zo2. Just leave the Zo2 out of the setup completely and boost the bass with your Titanium HD instead. Also, the bass will sound less bloated on the Pro 900 if you do it this way (The Zo is not a good match for the Pro 900s).

About the position that is something that you need to experience with. Personally for me it works if I place both cups around the center, but the right cup needs slightly more clamping force which I fix by readjusting the headband.

Don't worry about the Kee's mod just yet, at least not until you've got accustomed to the Pro 900 sound and it is burned in, which can take many weeks or even months for some.

Personally I think, if you want to upgrade your phones from the get go, you should consider J$ ear pads. I was told they are not accessible anymore, so the next best would be the Sony XB700 ear pads. They will improve the headphones all-round but especially the impact of the bass and comfortability.

May 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4,493 of 5,992
Personally I think the XB700 pads are the first best thing :p cause they are soooooooooooo comfortable :wink:

Your Titanium HD has better amplification than the Zo2. Just leave the Zo2 out of the setup completely and boost the bass with your Titanium HD instead. Also, the bass will sound less bloated on the Pro 900 if you do it this way (The Zo is not a good match for the Pro 900s).

About the position that is something that you need to experience with. Personally for me it works if I place both cups around the center, but the right cup needs slightly more clamping force which I fix by readjusting the headband.

Don't worry about the Kee's mod just yet, at least not until you've got accustomed to the Pro 900 sound and it is burned in, which can take many weeks or even months for some.

Personally I think, if you want to upgrade your phones from the get go, you should consider J$ ear pads. I was told they are not accessible anymore, so the next best would be the Sony XB700 ear pads. They will improve the headphones all-round but especially the impact of the bass and comfortability.

May 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #4,494 of 5,992
Quote:
Personally I think the XB700 pads are the first best thing
tongue.gif
cause they are soooooooooooo comfortable
wink.gif

Well, the J$ pads are too and the quality of genuine leather is unarguably better than pleather.

May 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4,495 of 5,992
Thanks for the replys...Im getting them used so they should be burned in OK (over 100 hours apparently) 

I will also look into the replacement XB700 pads...do you know were you can get them in the UK? I tried to find some J$ pads for my Beyers but that never worked out lol 

So they dont really benefit that much from hooking up an external amp to the Ti HD?
EDIT: just saw this post #2457...so it looks like I wont be needing an amp after all :D 

Cheers

May 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #4,496 of 5,992
Quote:Originally Posted by JesperZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally find the stock pads very comfy and sturdy. The J$s are not available and the XB700s are ugly.

Is the stock pad keeping the bass from giving it's all with the 900s?

So they dont really benefit that much from hooking up an external amp to the Ti HD?
EDIT: just saw this post #2457...so it looks like I wont be needing an amp after all :D 

What do you do to make the PRO 900 louder on the Ti HD? It sounds really great on mine but not loud enough. I have to use my V200 or RoCoo P to get it like I want it.

May 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #4,497 of 5,992
Quote:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I don't know if you've experienced this, but when I push the Pro 900 with stock pads against my ears the bass is enhanced (along with the rest of the spectrum and sound stage). J$ pads promotes this effect without you having to push them against your ears, and from what I hear from users with XB700 pads they should have the same effect. This is basically what you can expect from changing the pads along with added comfort and also the Pro 900's look beastly with J$ pads.

And btw it is the Denon J$ pads you wanna get for the Pro 900, not Beyerdynamic...
It seems J$ has gone out of business and the Denon pads are no longer available anywhere, but Lawton Audio seems to be making something similar http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page10.html - anyone who dares to try it out?

May 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4,498 of 5,992
Quote:
I personally find the stock pads very comfy and sturdy. The J$s are not available and the XB700s are ugly.

What do you do to make the PRO 900 louder on the Ti HD? It sounds really great on mine but not loud enough. I have to use my V200 or RoCoo P to get it like I want it.

I dont have the PRO900 yet its on the way :D 
Quote:
And btw it is the Denon J$ pads you wanna get for the Pro 900, not Beyerdynamic...
It seems J$ has gone out of business and the Denon pads are no longer available anywhere, but Lawton Audio seems to be making something similar http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page10.html - anyone who dares to try it out?

Do you have to mod the Denon pads at all or do they fit straight on with no issue? And those Lawton pads are soooo expensive 
frown.gif

May 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #4,499 of 5,992
Quote:
I dont have the PRO900 yet its on the way :D 
Do you have to mod the Denon pads at all or do they fit straight on with no issue? And those Lawton pads are soooo expensive 
frown.gif

Yes you have to mod them by breaking one pair of your original Pro 900 ear pads and glue the Denon pads onto the socket of the Pro 900 pads, unfortunately. Fortunately though, it's very easy to do. And yeah they are kinda expensive, I think I paid $30 less for the J$ pads when I got them. But if the Lawton pads are as identical as they seem to be judging by the images on the web page, then I would say it is worth it. Definitely a better and cheaper upgrade than all the cable upgrades people are wasting their money on. When you get the Pro 900 then try and push them against your ears. If you like the effect then you can consider if it is worth purchasing the Lawton pads, and also risk that they might not be the same as J$ money (although I'd say there's a good chance they are identical or at least very close), or maybe try out the XB700 pads.

May 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #4,500 of 5,992
Well I have found a nice used pair of J$ Denon pads but is there a tutorial on how to make the J$ ones fit? ...after searching i cant find anything and not sure if I´ll be brave enough to jump into the unknown and possibly skrew up a pair of J$ pads and the orginal ones too 
frown.gif

Also has anyone experimented with opamps for the Ti HD...if so anyone find a combo that has great synergy with the PRO900? Im using AD797 in the buffers and OPA2111kp in the I/V and also have a couple others like the LME49720 and LME49710´s that I´ll experiment with!
 ​
Hopefully these will live up to the hype 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back