Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #4,531 of 5,992
Quote:
The Pro900 aren't very versatile for most genres IMO, but they are good for EDM and for gaming.
Interested to hear what you think of the E8 MrScary. I contemplate selling them every day, but I'm reluctant to take the big hit when selling them used.

Have you done a comparison of the PRO900 vs d5000? If so could you please link it to me...would love to read it :D 

May 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #4,532 of 5,992
I haven't. I'm not very good at describing what I hear or comparing headphones so I don't.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #4,534 of 5,992
and they jumped the price from $330 to $449 :angry_face: I was going too go in and buy them 2 days ago when they were in stock and $120 cheaper....... I am face palming so hard right now.
so you bought them for the 449$?... I'm so pissed... They promised me that it would be in stock when I came, but it wasnt, and now the price is raised everywhere:mad:

May 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #4,535 of 5,992
Quote:
The Pro900 aren't very versatile for most genres IMO, but they are good for EDM and for gaming.

Interested to hear what you think of the E8 MrScary. I contemplate selling them every day, but I'm reluctant to take the big hit when selling them used.

Ahhh you have some want to sell them used? Im a fast buyer I pay right away let them go!! you hear voices they are saying money in my pocket..
I haven't ordered the Edition 8's yet I'm listening to the LCD-2's right now if you want to sell let me know just a message away you will get payment within minutes. :wink:
not joking.

May 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4,536 of 5,992
Quote:
so you bought them for the 449$?... I'm so pissed... They promised me that it would be in stock when I came, but it wasnt, and now the price is raised everywhere:mad:

I just saw the prices jump I bought mine for 320.00 flat Brand new authorized dealer.. Today I looked they are over 500.00 now what the heck wow!!!

May 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #4,537 of 5,992
Quote:
I haven't. I'm not very good at describing what I hear or comparing headphones so I don't.
biggrin.gif

Yeah I don't usually get involved in the Headphone comparison and as you guys noticed I didn't I was just a bit shocked that they are not as versatile as I would have hoped..
So next up the Edition 8's shamrock you hear voices they say "Sell them to MrScary he loves you" hahaha

:wink:

May 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4,539 of 5,992
Quote:
I'll have a think about it, not sure what I'm going to do yet. They look so nice, but sonically I'm just not sure they do it for me.

If you were to pick PRO900 vs D5000 for EDM what would you go for? Sorry for all questions!
Cheers mate

May 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #4,540 of 5,992
One more thing I noticed about the Pro 900's that scared me a few times..

They do not have anywhere that i have found listed their power handling capability. That is weird because if you plug it into a scary amp like the Lyr at 6 watt's at 32ohm and turn it  up you just may see some smoke...
I tried them on the Lyr and they did well but not as well as the Ultrasone 700's I noticed that anything above the 9am setting on the Lyr they started acting funny.. So what Im guessing is these phones are attended for low Ma
Mp3's players, sound cards and ummm low Ma amps like the Fiio etc...

Now what gets me is the Ultrasone 700's I do not even have to make an adjustment between them and the LCD-2's now thats wild considering that the LCD-2's are 300ohm's and can handle tons of power..
So something was changed from the 700 line over the years until the 900's If Ultrasone atleast published their power handling I would even consider keeping them just for Techno after thinking about it..
But when they were in the Lyr it was scary they popped a few times and it was scary I could burn them Im sure if I turned them to 2pm on the dial they would be bye bye..

ÖÖ

May 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #4,541 of 5,992
Quote:

I bought the PRO 900 because I loved the PRO 550. I've heard a major improvement. In comparison to my LCD-2, to my ears, it sounds like a closed, less quality version of the Audeze. I was comparing back to back with the same songs and I really liked what I heard and even heard some more crunch out of hard rock songs.

To me, the PRO 900 is a portable headphone and isn't good enough for home listening. It's super heavy bass can sound good, better than the LCD-2 out of an amp if Silver is involved. Speaking of amps, I put my PRO 550 in my V200 and cranked the volume all the time (used them as mini-speakers) and have been doing the same thing with the PRO 900. It gets way to trebley for listening but I've done it here and there. I used it for burn-in at a medium volume and have had no problems out of it. No cracks or pops or anything.

I considered buying the Denon 5000s with these and sending one back but I did not. Why? One reason: The 5000s are not meant for portable use according to everything I've read about them: 

They are not that durable, could easily break and the cord can rip. They are bulky and cannot fold. They do not like to stay on the head in strenuous activity (Going place to place or Jogging). They let sound in (which the 900s do not). They are REALLY UGLY and look like old man headphones (If you're a single man...I do not need to clarify).

Just not at all what I need for living out of a van, touring city to city, hotel to hotel, going for a morning jog. These things are really strong. You could throw them in bag without a case and they would be fine. And they are SUPER SEXY! The Edition 8s are better in every way, but no way am I putting those goofy looking things on my head. They're too much money for portable anyway, IMO.

The 900 needs a good cable. Copper or Silver depending on what source you're using. I find the PRO 900 to be fine for every genre and I love it very much. Comfort, Sexiness, ??? = Profit.

May 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #4,543 of 5,992
Quote:
I disagree with a lot of what you've just said, but life would be boring if everyone shared the same opinion.
smile.gif

Well, everyone prefers a different sound. Do you find your D5000 to be portable? I was only going by reviews on Headphone sites and here. That was the main dealbreaker for me 'cause I know the Denons are very popular.

May 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #4,544 of 5,992
You are correct, the Denon's are in no way portable, but they were never designed to be. They don't isolate well, are delicate and have a really long cable.

As you say it's a matter of preference and I like my mids to be less recessed for stuff with vocals, but for electronic music I favour a V-shape and do not mind the recessed mids of the Pro900. I don't find the LCD2 and Pro900 to sound that similar at all really. Although you do have the Rev.2 which I've not heard (I have Rev1) so maybe the treble is closer, but the mids of the LCD2 are always going to be superior to the Pro900's.

May 17, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #4,545 of 5,992
The LCD-2 is better in every way except bass, but for a portable system that is very acceptable to me. 
bigsmile_face.gif

But yeah, I like both of them. I don't like high-treble and I like heavy but detailed bass so I don't find them that different. Seriously, I was playing Beatles and Daft Punk back to back and really enjoyed both headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back