The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 11, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #88,906 of 89,800
I think texting and messaging on a message board are hard because they lack nuance. I am new here. I started following water cooler before CanJam New York.

When I got there and wandered over to the Musicteck table. Ended up meeting and hanging out with @RTodd. One of the nicest people you can ever meet. @bigbeans and his father invited me to hear the audio technica amp. He let me listen to his wonderful set up. Met @Visceral and talked fatherhood.

I guess the point I am making is I was an outsider and I got welcomed with open arms. I don’t feel like this is an old boys club. It is a group of people passionate about sound.

A mention of "fatherhood" talk triggered a fine memory from CanJam NYC '24 when I was at Musicteck tables, sitting across from you and @Visceral :) I didn't even realize you were new at Head-fi since you were quite knowledgeable about the sound.

Now, just my general comment for the Watercooler community :)

When it comes to sharing our opinions, it is not necessarily about the accuracy of this subjective hobby, but rather about the passion and respect for others. Ironically, being passionate about something can cross the lines of respect, like the recent discussion about the burn-in. Some people don't believe in it, like some who don't believe in cables. But there are different ways of expressing it while still being respectful by citing a study or the measurement you refer to and adding that "in my personal experience, I never heard a change related to burn in or when switching between the cables". Those who disagree with you won't argue or get upset about it because everybody is entitled to their own opinion based on their personal subjective experience or even based on what they read online because that's how many educate themselves. There is no argument about it.

Despite being a new or old member of Head-fi or the Watercooler community, it doesn't matter how many years of experience you have, doesn't matter how much gear you heard or reviewed, and it doesn't matter about your background.

There is something new to learn every day in this thread, and I still do, though it is becoming harder to keep up with a dozen pages a day. The bottom line is it is not what you say, but how you say it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 11, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #88,907 of 89,800
But there are different ways of expressing it while still being respectful

Indeed. Hence the following line on the opening post on page 1: "People are not unfeeling stones so if you need to be critical stick to matters of fact-- keep the value judgements out of it."

Also, when you're brand new to an established community people aren't going to be interested in all the ways you think said community needs to change to meet your needs or align with your own ideals or perceptions. Spend some time lurking around to get a sense of the vibe and tone-- and if it works for you, contribute away. If not, quietly move on or work to make change in a natural, organic and respectful way...not by whining over and over again about all the things you don't like.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #88,908 of 89,800
I was contemplating traveling to CanJam London this year but some head-fiers today mentioned there might be only Elise Audio at the show. Is that so?
There's very very few big names missing after comparing the CJ Singapore and CJ London lists. It's not the cheapest place to find accommodation in the midst of holiday season though. Don't ask me how I know.

drftr

May 11, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #88,910 of 89,800
A mention of "fatherhood" talk triggered a fine memory from CanJam NYC '24 when I was at Musicteck tables, sitting across from you and @Visceral :) I didn't even realize you were new at Head-fi since you were quite knowledgeable about the sound.

Now, just my general comment for the Watercooler community :)

When it comes to sharing our opinions, it is not necessarily about the accuracy of this subjective hobby, but rather about the passion and respect for others. Ironically, being passionate about something can cross the lines of respect, like the recent discussion about the burn-in. Some people don't believe in it, like some who don't believe in cables. But there are different ways of expressing it while still being respectful by citing a study or the measurement you refer to and adding that "in my personal experience, I never heard a change related to burn in or when switching between the cables". Those who disagree with you won't argue or get upset about it because everybody is entitled to their own opinion based on their personal subjective experience or even based on what they read online because that's how many educate themselves. There is no argument about it.

Despite being a new or old member of Head-fi or the Watercooler community, it doesn't matter how many years of experience you have, doesn't matter how much gear you heard or reviewed, and it doesn't matter about your background, though I think it is awesome to learn that when someone mentioned Darko's audio podcast and @slumberman nailed it with his reply that it was him, I learned that Slumberman is one of the Nine Inch Nails guys :)

There is something new to learn every day in this thread, and I still do, though it is becoming harder to keep up with a dozen pages a day. The bottom line is it is not what you say, but how you say it :)
Very well said 🙏

May 11, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #88,911 of 89,800
Currently in audio heaven with my new MAD24 powered by Brise Audio and Cayin... breathtaking :)
PXL_20240510_231754354.jpg
I’m very interested in MAD. How would you compare it to your jewel? More or less bass? I’m thinking getting it as a ciem.

May 11, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #88,913 of 89,800
I was contemplating traveling to CanJam London this year but some head-fiers today mentioned there might be only Elise Audio at the show. Is that so?

There are people telling you that there might be only one exhibitor at the show?

May 11, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #88,914 of 89,800
I’m very interested in MAD. How would you compare it to your jewel? More or less bass? I’m thinking getting it as a ciem.
I have used the MAD for an entire week now and finally found my favorite gear / eartip / cable for it and it is a refreshing experience after trying so many great TOTL products.

MAD have for me what I consider perfect musical approach: it's technical without being analytic, with a musical approach that mesmerizes me with the sense of details and dimensionality.

I would say that comparing to the Jewel (that used to be my go to for everyday listening) the MAD have more overall energy. And yet it is more "neutral" than the Jewel. The energy is stronger especially in the bass and mid areas. Bass is punchier and goes deeper than Jewel. While I can hear the bass with Jewel, with the MAD I can feel the bass and the thump.

Mid range is the big star in the MAD, vocals sound sharp but not in your face, it doesn't take an intimate approach, but one more of a big arena.

When you listen to indie rock or electronic music, the level of details and layers can be a bit overwhelming... I find difficult to work with this IEM for example since it keeps distracting me (which is a good thing). With the Jewel you can wear it for hours and have fun but at the same time keep it as background. The MAD keeps pulling you in constantly.

All I can say is that my initial level of satisfaction with the MAD is great and aligns with all the positive feedback that I read about it so far, being comparable to big cans like the Diana or even Susvara.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #88,916 of 89,800
I heard that the u12t model became a legend in the 64 audio range, is that true? in principle, this is the best in terms of technical knowledge, so that harman target frequency response is next to it.

u12t has been on the market for 7 years. is it still competitive in the market today? did volur model get better than him?

May 11, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #88,917 of 89,800
I heard that the u12t model became a legend in the 64 audio range, is that true? in principle, this is the best in terms of technical knowledge, so that harman target frequency response is next to it.

u12t has been on the market for 7 years. is it still competitive in the market today? did volur model get better than him?
It will depend on who you ask. For me, the three best 64 Audio IEMs remain the Fourte, 18T and the 12T you mentioned. I dislike the Volur in comparison to these 3. I am sure other folks will add their thoughts to your question as well.

It is best to audition them for yourself whenever possible. Fit and tips can make or break a universal IEM for you.

May 11, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #88,918 of 89,800

At the time I wanted my U12t and then my U18t to sound more like Volür: Better bass, fuller/warmer mids, without touching U18t's treble. On the tuning level 64 Audio delivered with Volür, and bass is also excellent. But mids came across congested to me, while the treble peak kicks in far too late to create a U18-like openness. Great effort - not there yet. It's more complete than U12t and U18t, yet fails to deliver their magic. And that makes Volür too expensive for what you get, I think.

drftr

May 11, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #88,919 of 89,800
Random, unexpected moments of emotionally-charged joy in audio occured this afternoon... which I figured I'd share as a somewhat stream of thought!

I hooked up my recently delivered FiiO FA19 to also my also recently delivered DITA Navigator as there were a few songs I was curious to hear on TIDAL, most notably ‘Angel of the Morning’ cover by Juice Newton as I had heard it a few months ago on a TV show (The Leftovers) and really brought me back to a time in early childhood. I’ve noted before, there is nothing for me that is more effective to ‘time travel’ than music, a unique ability to plunge me back to moments in life over the last fast-approaching five decades of my existence - the music fuelling a sense of almost actually being back at whatever point of life the song is connected to - in this case, I guess ‘Angel of the Morning’ must have been playing on the radio a lot at the time, I would have only been 5 years old but my Mum always had either the radio or records playing from as early in life as I can remember… as I say, personally speaking music is by far the most powerful vehicle to memories throughout my life. Anyway, I found myself pretty quickly in tears, followed by a combination of laughing at myself for crying :) - the emotions heavily two-fold… 1/ the music was doing exactly as what I just described, bringing me back to distant childhood memories that even with the passing of many years, I can still feel like being in those moments… sometimes an overwhelming experience 2/ Absolutely mesmerised by how the Navigator / FA19 combo hooked up to my phone were performing, absolutely jaw-dropping stuff which combined with emotional memories, had my brain spinning in musical awe at the same time, hence ending up laughing at myself!

IMG_3800.jpg

I often talk about my love for the humble DD, but I indeed have an enormous soft spot for a well-tuned multi-BA set, and the FiiO FA19 is absolutely that - an effortless, but pristine tuning with truly phenomenal pinpoint, but not clinical imaging, and while the overall signature has excellent clarity and quite neutral tuning, it is at the same time beautifully captivating and incredibly engaging - be it male or female vocals, acoustic or electric guitars, percussion, synths etc etc… everything just sings with a breath-taking accuracy to my ears, and with buckets of emotion. The vented sub-woofer for me handles the lower registers of bass incredibly well, and even have a ‘rumble’ sensation - personally speaking where I find a DD can’t be beaten is more from a ‘thud’ or ‘punch’ of a kick-drum where a BA just can’t quite achieve that visceral sense of vibration in the mid-bass, and for genres like techno for example I would tend to favour a set with a DD in the mix, the Bellos X4 a great example, and while I’ve only recently waxed lyrical about that, there is definitely more to come - not sure it will include tears though…

IMG_3713.jpg

So far I’m absolutely loving FA19 with ambient, classical, rock, folk, indie, experimental music etc but still need to further explore my electronic shelves such as house, techno, IDM. I’ve previously enjoyed the FiiO FD7 and FH9, but the FA19 is in another league altogether and for me not only represents fantastic value for $999 when compared to sets multiple times more expensive - I’m not suggesting it is a kilobuck-killer but I would certainly urge folks to give it a listen should the opportunity arise, you might just end up in tears and laughing at the same time :)

IMG_3764.jpg

Funny how a song can trigger a burst of emotions, followed by a desire to document the moment by putting pen to paper, and then fingers to keyboard! And none of this would have happened had I not binge watched The Leftovers a few months ago, a quirky but brilliant series.

IMG_3796.jpg

May 11, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #88,920 of 89,800
Are they really worth that much money? I wanted to switch from my last headphones to Campfire Supermoon, but luck smiled on me and I managed to listen to them before purchasing. As a result, I stayed with my old ones, which are 3 times cheaper.

Well the diamond studded version (costs something like $30,000 from memory) is something where any value statements probably fall into a different framework..

If you’re asking about the Noble Sultan - a $3,000 IEM that can often be found on sale or open box around $2,000 or so - it is in my opinion one of the most underappreciated IEMs. It may be my personal favorite, at least it has been for a very long time. I really love the Sultan. They have a warm sound signature while offering great technicalities. The weight on the notes and their textured presentation is very engaging to me. I think they are the best IEMs that Noble ever developed. I think around their launch a known reviewer gave them a hard time, which forever hampered their sales. But to my taste, they are fantastic.

When I demoed them at CanJam NYC 2022 (when I ended up purchasing them) my only concern was I felt a slight treble roll off. At the time, Jim had the Quorum cable (a rarity as those used to get snatched in Asia before ever making it over). That unique cable opened up the upper frequency just enough for perfect tonal balance for me, and that is the combo I use to this date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back