The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #79,081 of 90,685
Any bright ideas on creating a shirt clip (*), and preferably one that keeps the chin slider from... err... sliding? This to avoid the ritual burning of my PWA cable.

Together with tinnitus it's like listening to a minimalist Concerto For Whistles And Saw.

(*) Or are there actually brands selling those??

drftr
You’re bringing back childhood memories.
My grandfather played the saw and he was an incredible whistler.

If I close my eyes I can see him sitting handle of the saw clenched between his knees one hand on the top of the blade bending the metal to a curve the other with a bow. As he ran the bow across the flat edge of the blade a sound came out reminiscent of a Hawaiian guitar. All the time whistling in harmony with the melody.

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #79,082 of 90,685
WhatsApp Görsel 2024-01-20 saat 15.03.58_f874f5a6.jpg

So, I've been listening to the PMG Apx for a week now, and I've got to say, this is a whole new level in terms of portable sound. It is on the brighter side but what it does best is the insane PRaT performance. The quickness that it delivers feels like electrostatic systems. Noble Viking Ragnar provides that feeling too, and I've included this analogy in its review, but the Apx is a level above in terms of dynamism, texture and bass performance.

The sound-stage magnitude and imaging are probably the best I've heard, and the treble extension is unbelievably good. When it comes to mids, it's not the most musical TOTL IEM, but it gives fantastic transparency and spaciousness in that area too, so the instruments and vocals are incredibly clear and precise.

The system you see in the photo might be the best portable system I've ever listened to. I will probably receive backlash for praising a 6K$ IEM (that happens whenever a very expensive statement product gets praised), but that's the way it performs.

On the downside, the cable doesn't make sense for the price, and the above impression has something to do with the Brise Audio cable for sure. With a high-level cable, the IEM performs excellently. And the packaging overall is underwhelming for a statement piece in my opinion.

But one thing is for certain, @piotrus-g created a marvel from a pure sound performance perspective.
I agree with all you say. I, too, am an owner of Apx and I am falling in love with them.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #79,083 of 90,685
It's never the shell, always the nozzle. Whoever thought a fat nozzle like that was a good idea probably has caves for earholes.
I think this generally rings true. However, some brands aggressively contour their shells, employing a large "wing" that's designed to nestle into the upper concha. This can be challenging too. I hate the feeling of a shell "digging in" anywhere. EXT's nozzle is definitely on the extreme end with quad ESTs housed there. The bulge still gives me nightmares :sweat:. Surprisingly, Annihilator's ~6mm diameter nozzle hasn't caused any trauma to my canals. It's a PITA to get tips on it though, that's for sure.
EXT is still the best fitting IEM I have ever tried. :)
EXT either gives the user a CIEM like fit or it doubles as a medieval torture device. Unfortunately it was the latter for me. A shame because it's a great IEM sonically.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #79,084 of 90,685

Wonderful discovery this morning

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #79,085 of 90,685
Any bright ideas on creating a shirt clip (*), and preferably one that keeps the chin slider from... err... sliding? This to avoid the ritual burning of my PWA cable.

Together with tinnitus it's like listening to a minimalist Concerto For Whistles And Saw.

drftr

I ask this in a serious way, should Peter Wong not be resolving this? Hopefully in a way that does not involve selling a solution :p

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #79,087 of 90,685
You’re bringing back childhood memories.
My grandfather played the saw and he was an incredible whistler.

If I close my eyes I can see him sitting handle of the saw clenched between his knees one hand on the top of the blade bending the metal to a curve the other with a bow. As he ran the bow across the flat edge of the blade a sound came out reminiscent of a Hawaiian guitar. All the time whistling in harmony with the melody.
You think it's a signal from the heavens above and time for a re-education camp? It's never too late my old man would say.

I ask this in a serious way, should Peter Wong not be resolving this? Hopefully in a way that does not involve selling a solution :p
"You're the only one who ever complained about this!" would be my best guess.

You need to experience the Pentaconn chin slider included on Eletech OTL then. Now that's another story 😏
LOL! Yeah, that's one heck of a piece of art. Suddenly my glass is half full again. Tnx mate!

drftr

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #79,088 of 90,685
Could someone please help me identify these tips? I can’t remember which IEM they came with or if I purchased them separately, but I’d like to stock up on them as they work the best for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3770.jpeg
    IMG_3770.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3768.jpeg
    IMG_3768.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #79,089 of 90,685
Thank you for understanding. It gets a bit overwhelming at times. At times when I click off and come back Head-fi and come back and it says there are 48 new replies.

Totally understandable we've all been there at some time or another.

Lovely picture!

I too have dipped my feet in the earbuds world but I have to say I wasn’t really excited. The lack of proper seal compared to an IEM made them almost always a compromise sonically even if the signature is agreeable. I wonder if I am missing something.

I think earbuds should be approached the same way as open back headphones-- what you lose in seal you gain in expansive space. I can't get on with earbuds personally as it's always a struggle for me to get ti fit right and avoid perceived channel mis-match.

I haven't been brave enough to look into a cable for PPT, how is the cable? I personally think PPT and RS8 are a perfect pair. Even Dita team think so too, and they also the distributor of Lotoo and don't sell any Hiby related products.

I love it. I could see myself buying this cable for the Perpetua. Ergo isn't THE BEST but the ergo of the stock cable isn't that great either, so tit for tat. But yeah...RS8 + Perpetua is a perfect match. Perpetua is my "relax in the evening listening" set which works out quite well for the less-than-ideally-portable RS8.

Elysium bass, IE900 mids, Odin uppermids, Westone treble, earpods technicalities, EXT fit, Empire Ears Raven launch, Susvara drivability, UM pricing with no cable included, and FF aftersales support. With a new limited edition colour iteration every 1-2 months with no serial number to indicate that it is limited.

Elysium bass raised an eyebrow, IE900 mids furrowed my brow...by the time I got to Odin uppermids the gig was up.

EXT fit wasn't so bad when I was sitting still...for me it became an issue once I started moving around.

Hello Everyone!

I am back from a super hectic work trip during which time I have had no time to do any listening. However, just completed my video review of my favorite Campfire Audio IEMs!

Hope this is helpful!

Awesome thanks for sharing!

In other news I'm jealously reading about all of your collective tip rolling experiences. For me there are so few tips that properly fit me I don't have the luxury of being able to use the vast majority that are on the market.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #79,091 of 90,685

drftr
I had a need, previously, to fasten the cable to relieve the weight on the IEM, when I was using them during daily commuting. For a shirt clip, I tried various ones that had a spring loaded clip to hold the cable. These were quite large, and cumbersome, to be able to handle a large diameter cable. And the clip was not secure enough, and could come loose easily.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-Compatible-SoundSport-QC20-PowerBeat-Sennheiser/dp/B08JYKGWZ1
1705768773171.png

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I looked for another way, that I could implement with available materials, and wound up with what you see below. Instead of trying to find a clip with an attachment for a larger cable, I thought of putting an attachment loop on the cable instead.
Using monofilament (fishing line) and clear heat shrink, I attach a small monofilament loop to the cable splitter using clear heat shrink. So it is fairly unobtrusive. A small nylon ty-wrap, could be used if you have no monofilament handy. Or string, etc. But I like the monofilament better, as it holds it's loop shape, making it easier to use. You can "shape" the loop with a heat gun/hair dryer.
I have these loops installed on all the cables I was using back then.

Once you have the loop on the cable:
- use any clip through the loop, and to your shirt, t-shirt, etc. The nice thing is that this can be any small clip that has a good grip. And most have a better grip than the "normal" cable clip.
- use an over the neck lanyard to clip to the loop
- slip over a button before you button the shirt

A small section of clear heat shrink can also be used to prevent a cable slider from sliding.

Cable loop for clip.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #79,094 of 90,685
Time to join the Watercooler. Man, I have a lot of pages to get through. 😂

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #79,095 of 90,685
Any impressions?

The long and short of it is that while I'm going off of a singular model, I think that the point of diminishing returns has come down drastically in the last year or so considering the quality you can get for around $500 or so. It just kind of does everything pretty well, especially for a single dynamic driver. Poking around at other new and upcoming models, I think the Project M seems to be a really compelling package for $325, so I'd be curious to hear it. It might be a bit too heavy in the treble for my tastes, though.

Scanning through, I saw I missed some conversation about the W1s. I also got a pair of those, but I think they have a pretty similar texture to the Xelastecs which cause an uncomfortable burning sensation after a short period of time, so I'll almost certainly stick with the Baroques. Generally I prefer anything with a similar texture to the Final Type E, but the shape of those don't work very well with the TS-316 due to their weight. I believe the Baroques are pretty similar to the Spiral Dots in shape which solves that problem as they allow for a more secure fit. Pricey, but they work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back