The NEW ATH-ES700..
Jun 13, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #556 of 1,098
Quote:
^ i would have to agree with Ds on this one, i owned 2 sets of S400s and have burned them in for months, esp. that set that i intended to gift to my sis. The mids are the only thing that these S400s have going for them. They mids sound sweet indeed, but the highs and lows on these S400s are so tamed that it feels too boring/ relaxing with stock pads even with those AKG DJ pads. With those AKG pads the highs gets extended a bit more but still sounds recessed compared to the S500s and there is no sparkle to them, the bass is tight but they are nothing home to write about.

These ES700s are much more refined than the S400s in it's overall sound and sonic capabilities. For me these 700s is somewhat of a fusion of all the best traits of the S500 (great extended highs and awesome lows) and the S400s (sweet forward mids) but with even more refinement added on top of it.  The treble of the S400s is really lacking and was the 1st thing i noticed on them, so i am pretty confused to hear some say the highs of the S400s are better than the S500s. They are more smooth that is for sure, but if you are looking for great extension and sparkle these S400s don't have it.

The S400s is a great easy/ relaxing listen on the cheap, but these ES700s gives you not only that easy listening experience but it also makes things much more lively and fun to listen. They are much more refined and sophisticated.

The bass was only "relaxed" until I burned them with the noise.
You can keep burning them with music for months, it will not get you anywhere.
Bass punches really hard now.

Another sign that they weren't burned in yet, is that you describe ES-700 as the more "lively" one.

If you want HA-S400 to shine, put HM5 pads on top of AKG and use Sabre DAC (hifimediy/ODAC/Audio-DG NFB11.32).
It really feels like a private concert.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #557 of 1,098
Quote:

The bass was only "relaxed" until I burned them with the noise.
You can keep burning them with music for months, it will not get you anywhere.
Bass punches really hard now.

Another sign that they weren't burned in yet, is that you describe ES-700 as the more "lively" one.

If you want HA-S400 to shine, put HM5 pads on top of AKG and use Sabre DAC (hifimediy/ODAC/Audio-DG NFB11.32).
It really feels like a private concert.

^ I believe you 100% but you have to send me your combo so i can confirm and back up your impressions.
happy_face1.gif
wink_face.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #558 of 1,098
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #559 of 1,098
BenF, I respect the fact that you find the s400's more enjoyable, but I'd also appreciate if you added an *IMO* at the end of your sentences. Your statements about modded and burned in like this and burned in like that ha s400's wiping the floor with ES700 is wildly misleading to researching thread readers, IMHO!

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #560 of 1,098
Quote:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

The Sabre DAC is the best value in audio equipment - bought 3 of them.

Trying to decide between that hifimediy or the "tiny" version:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=107

Does this matter to me???

Which one should i get?
The new Uae Tiny is almost as good at a lower price. If you don't mind paying the additional dollars, go for the uae23 version (Hifimediy Sabre DAC). If you want to save a few bucks and don't need 96/24 this newcomer should be a good option.

Hmm.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #561 of 1,098
Quote:
BenF, I respect the fact that you find the s400's more enjoyable, but I'd also appreciate if you added an *IMO* at the end of your sentences. Your statements about modded and burned in like this and burned in like that ha s400's wiping the floor with ES700 is wildly misleading to researching thread readers, IMHO!

Almost everything discussed on head-fi is somebody's opinion.
The only "facts" are prices.

Just pretend that every post here has IMO or IMHO in the front of it.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #562 of 1,098
Quote:

Almost everything discussed on head-fi is somebody's opinion.
The only "facts" are prices.

Just pretend that every post here has IMO or IMHO in the front of it.

^True that. Should be a given really. BUT YOU ARE STILL DEAD WRONG!!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Since you already have the AKG pads, you can have the rest for under 70$ shipped:

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

The Sabre DAC is the best value in audio equipment - bought 3 of them.

haha sadly i sold/traded both of my S400s already, cuz i don't need the S500s AND the S400s if the ES7/ ES700s is more satisfying to listen to overall. Though for the ES7/ ES700s will not give you the amazing fun bass of the S500s that's for sure, but they are more than enough to even keep my basshead needs happy.

In fact i traded my S400s and S500s for a set of used ES7s.
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #564 of 1,098
Quote:

Trying to decide between that hifimediy or the "tiny" version:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=107

Does this matter to me???

Hmm.

Supposed to sound the same, the DAC part is the same, the main difference is a different USB controller and no USB-to-Optical.
Most people can't differentiate between 16/24 bit or 48/96Khz anyway, so it should be OK.

The advantage is that it may work on some Android devices where the original didn't work.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #565 of 1,098
Quote:
I am really digging that design, Audio Technica really makes some great looking stuff, never been not pleased by their products. 

Ya' mon they looks pretty sexy, but the headband turns lumpy when you wear them, and that is the only negative of these ES700s besides the small pads. This is a design flaw on AT part that's for sure, can't they just stuff them better???
rolleyes.gif

Pic of lumpy headband from another head-fier...

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #566 of 1,098
Quote:
In fact i traded my S400s and S500s for a set of used ES7s.
ksc75smile.gif

It's hard to keep track of your gear! What ATH headphones do you have now?

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #568 of 1,098
Quote:
Ya' mon they looks pretty sexy, but the headband turns lumpy when you wear them, and that is the only negative of these ES700s besides the small pads. This is a design flaw on AT part that's for sure, can't they just stuff them better???
rolleyes.gif

For me ES-700 is absolutely unusable with the default pads - too painful.
The WS55 pads are a lot better.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #569 of 1,098
Quote:

It's hard to keep track of your gear! What ATH headphones do you have now?

I have the WS99s, ES7, ES700,.. CKN70,...... CKS77X, AD900X, CKS1000, you done decide.
bigsmile_face.gif
  I don't have much gear really, cuz those damn corecools are making me sell everything i own. HE HE HE.

Quote:
I guess we all make mistakes...
biggrin.gif

yeppp, would have been a huge mistake of me in keeping those JVCs. They just sound too linear and basic compared to the ES7s/ ES700s.
tongue.gif

Quote:
For me ES-700 is absolutely unusable with the default pads - too painful.
The WS55 pads are a lot better.

Actually the stock pads are not that bad for me since my ears are medium in size but they do hurt after a hour of use or so, like all on-ears pads.... Though the stock pads are crap and there is wayyy too little padding on them that's for sure.  AT done goofed here as well cuz it cheapens these sexy ES700s, BUT THEY ARE MADE IN JPN!!! <333s

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #570 of 1,098
Quote:

Actually the stock pads are not that bad for me since my ears are medium in size but they do hurt after a hour of use or so, like all on-ears pads.... Though the stock pads are crap and there is wayyy too little padding on them that's for sure.  AT done goofed here as well cuz it cheapens these sexy ES700s, BUT THEY ARE MADE IN JPN!!! <333s

The ESW9a lambskin leather pads are a gift sent from heaven! They are what the 700's should have had from the start. Now I just have to mod the headband to suit the glorious pads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back