The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jun 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,306 of 3,535
Not usually a guy that buys into 200 hour burn in, but it really did a job on the 850. Tried the same before on other pairs that supposedly needed it and it made no difference. Not the case with these woodies. The bass really fell into line. I didn't stop to listen at all along the way, so I can't say when exactly the changes occurred. I wanted to go straight from the out of box first 5 hours to a full 200+.

The difference is palpable.

My connectors came in so I'm still going to build my cable for them, but now very little is needed to bring out the best in these.

Going to give the PlusSound SPC I have on hand a whirl first. Then maybe some Norne audio SPC litz .

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,307 of 3,535
Unfortunately I had to file a claim through Amazon today as it looks like the FX850 are not going to show up
confused.gif
 After trying to contact the seller twice, as well as Amazon trying to contact the seller on my behalf, I haven't heard anything back in about 4 days now.  For some reason it seems the package was deliver and signed for in Vacaville California U.S.A. and I live in Alberta, Canada.  I figure if the seller wanted to make it right they would have contacted me back by now.  This was also a seller with no feedback and now they have 100% negative feedback.

So I guess I won't be joining the woody club for a while
frown.gif
 as I don't have the time to re-order now.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,309 of 3,535
Sorry to hear about Ivabign's insertion trouble and Dave74's delivery complications, bummer.

... I've been listening to the Fiio silver cable and for under $30, this cable is a no brainer. A bit microphonic but small, light, good looking and most of all, very nice sounding indeed! Thanks to Ericp10 for his great recommendation. Great find!

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,310 of 3,535
  Not trying for deep insertion - I have never been able to get an IEM to go much deeper than the ear opening as I have a pretty severe turn - one reason customs have been such a revelation for me - The problem with the JVC is that with its extremely short stem, I haven't found anything to seal off the opening to the ear. That's what I liked about the Westone foam - it was long and fat. If the core was a bigger diameter, it would be perfect.

Have you found a better tip yet?  I wonder if you could make your own by punching out an earplug with a hole punch. Earplugs are cheap and you could cut it down to length.  I think I read about someone making their own on a head-fi thread before.  But than you would probably need some kind of tube to keep the end of the earplug open.   Or maybe you could modify and enlarge some of your existing comply tips.  I hope you find something that works
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #1,311 of 3,535
On Wednesday I will get some of the Monster foams - they look to be longer than Comply, with the same girth - they may do the trick - In the meantime, I took a medium foam and inserted it into a large silicone to firm it up - with a bead of moisture from a Q-Tip, they give a nice seal - but they feel like they are going to break seal at any moment - so it seems I am concentrating on whether the bass has diminished as opposed to how bloody nice the 850's sound.....

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #1,312 of 3,535
  Sorry to hear about Ivabign's insertion trouble and Dave74's delivery complications, bummer.

... I've been listening to the Fiio silver cable and for under $30, this cable is a no brainer. A bit microphonic but small, light, good looking and most of all, very nice sounding indeed! Thanks to Ericp10 for his great recommendation. Great find!

+1 on the Fiio cable.  Fits nicely with the JVCs.  As an added bonus, it also works well with my Sony XBAH3s.  Thanks Ericp10 for the find!

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,313 of 3,535

beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #1,314 of 3,535
  +1 on the Fiio cable.  Fits nicely with the JVCs.  As an added bonus, it also works well with my Sony XBAH3s.  Thanks Eric10 for the find!

The hobby is about sharing our finds. No problem. Happy listening! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,315 of 3,535
On Wednesday I will get some of the Monster foams - they look to be longer than Comply, with the same girth - they may do the trick - In the meantime, I took a medium foam and inserted it into a large silicone to firm it up - with a bead of moisture from a Q-Tip, they give a nice seal - but they feel like they are going to break seal at any moment - so it seems I am concentrating on whether the bass has diminished as opposed to how bloody nice the 850's sound.....

That really is a bummer. Is the Large Spirals not working? I have pretty big ear canals myself but even I only use the mediums(for a deeper fit, so they don't sit too shallow). I know Comply TX series are pretty good for fitting, but remember them having a smaller bore so fit might be a little tight.

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #1,316 of 3,535

Not trying for deep insertion - I have never been able to get an IEM to go much deeper than the ear opening as I have a pretty severe turn - one reason customs have been such a revelation for me - The problem with the JVC is that with its extremely short stem, I haven't found anything to seal off the opening to the ear. That's what I liked about the Westone foam - it was long and fat. If the core was a bigger diameter, it would be perfect.

Have you found a better tip yet?  I wonder if you could make your own by punching out an earplug with a hole punch. Earplugs are cheap and you could cut it down to length.  I think I read about someone making their own on a head-fi thread before.  But than you would probably need some kind of tube to keep the end of the earplug open.   Or maybe you could modify and enlarge some of your existing comply tips.  I hope you find something that works:)

1+difficult fit for me

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #1,317 of 3,535
Given these are dynamic, I wonder how well these fare vs 1p2?  1p2 has dual BA with one dynamic, and it has wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide sound with BA providing good highs.  I haven't run into dynamic that can provide detail an clarity on the highs like BA.  How are the highs and is the sound stage pretty wide?  Have anybody heard both 1p2 and this?

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,318 of 3,535
  Given these are dynamic, I wonder how well these fare vs 1p2?  1p2 has dual BA with one dynamic, and it has wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide sound with BA providing good highs.  I haven't run into dynamic that can provide detail an clarity on the highs like BA.  How are the highs and is the sound stage pretty wide?  Have anybody heard both 1p2 and this?

I think Ivabign has both 1p2  and these. Try quoting or pm'ing him... I'd rather see the post though so everyone can read the comparisons:) He is having trouble with fit issues with the FX850 though.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,319 of 3,535

I have, and to be honest, overall I wasn't impressed with the 1p2. Let me put it this way: the FX850 has me longing for its sound signature after not hearing it for awhile. I don't think much about the 1p2 sound signature at all now that I don't have it near me anymore. There are some things the 1p2 probably does better (I've said years ago there is no king IEM), but FX850's timbre is hard to beat. The 1p2 does, however, have some wonderful bass, but I don't think its performance matches its price. I think the FX850's performance shoots above its price if you can find it for under $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back