The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #16,336 of 18,652
I don't know whether its much of a benefit but I found that when i plugged sensitive iems into the HO there was a bit of hiss which annoyed me but when i plugged them into the LO there was pretty much nothing. I didn't notice any major differences in audio quality either, the HO may have sounded slightly more dynamic but i couldn't say for sure.

Ohhh so its true? I thought the LO was supposed to bypass the amp... Or you using an amp??

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #16,337 of 18,652
I think I read it once in this thread, or some similar thread, that you can plug your headphones to the LO of the dx50? Is that correct??
What would be the benefits of doing so..?

When you do this you bypass the amplifier. The sound might be a little more transparent but there is not much voltage/current for what you plug in. It all depends upon what you are listening with.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 15, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #16,341 of 18,652

I think I read it once in this thread, or some similar thread, that you can plug your headphones to the LO of the dx50? Is that correct??
What would be the benefits of doing so..?

When you do this you bypass the amplifier. The sound might be a little more transparent but there is not much voltage/current for what you plug in. It all depends upon what you are listening with.

Hey! Paul! Nice to see some new members from iBasso itself! Welcome!

Now, I will get straight to the point - please revise DX50 HO capacitors being used! Sorry if it hurts Your team decision but seriously, those Jovial TK capacitors have bad SQ in case of DX50 implementation.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #16,343 of 18,652
So that's why is good with sensitive iems...
I'm waiting for my dx50 and a pair of shure se215 to go with it, should I try the LO vs the HO?

The amplifier section is buffered so you will have a more even frequency response by using the HO. Try it on low gain and HO.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #16,344 of 18,652

Hey! Paul! Nice to see some new members from iBasso itself! Wolcome!

Now, I will get straight to the point - please revise DX50 HO capacitors being used! Sorry if it hurts Your team decision but seriously, those Jovial TK capacitors have bad SQ in case of DX50 implementation.

Thank you for the welcome.

The Jovial capacitors are extremely good capacitors. They cost us 4 times as much as other capacitors that could do this function. We have used them with high success in a number of highly reviewed products.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #16,345 of 18,652
Yeah, I believe they cost You much and they may work great in other equipment but in case of DX50 - sorry but not good choice in terms of SQ.
Nichicon FW that are used in LO are great and among of 4 best choices I`ve tested. Check iBasso DX50 mods thread for more info. I`m not the only one claiming that HO capacitor change made noticeable difference towards better SQ. But this will be my last post about this subject to You. For me it`s no problem to change them out for better ones. Was just hoping that maybe Your team cares about what ppl think and might be revising HO caps choice in future batches.

Anyway, thanks for such a great product as DX50! Me like it a lot :wink:

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #16,346 of 18,652
I've had my DX50 for nearly a week now and paired with my DT1350 the sound is simply fantastic. The best way to describe it is that it sounds proper HiFi, like listening to a desktop setup, but on the go. Seriously, the Wolfson DAC combined with Beyerdynamic's energetic sound is a beautiful pairing. When the music makes you smile you know you've hit a winner. For 171 GBP I am thrilled with the purchase. I'll get myself a 128GB card next week and be set on my way. So pleased overall. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #16,348 of 18,652
Tried the HO with the Heaven V and Akr02, boy the noise is absolutely terrible (they have 8ohm resistor btw). The LO is completely silence, so I bought an amp to pair with it and very happy now. Plugging in the LO directly sounded really weird to me.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #16,350 of 18,652
I had the DX50 for about a week now and compared it back and forth with the Fiio X5. And i guess the X5 is going back to Amazon so i get my Money back. I don't really have a need for 2 Players.
Even though the X5 did cost me 100€ more, i always come back to listening with the Ibasso DX50. On Paper, the X5 is clearly the better Player. The buildquality is awesome, i love the display and the option to have 2 sdcards in it. But as much as i should love the X5, the DX50 just grew on me that much faster. I really like the Touchscreen (although i dont like the quality of the display) and the navigation is better compared to the Wheel of the X5 (one thing i hate about the X5).

In terms of sound, the DX50 in my opinion is more neutral. I did some extensive A/B listening with the X5 and the DX50 and the X5 to my ears sounds brighter (especially on Drums) and fatigues my ears much quicker. I really can't pin down, why the DX50 sounds better to my ears, but i guess i will send the X5 back. An DX50 with the chunky buildquality and the 2 sdslots of the X5 would be all i need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back