The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 12, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #16,322 of 18,652
Can I just check, if you have one jpeg in the music folder named "cover" or something like that, it will show up as cover art for the whole album. I have artwork embedded in all of my tracks as I thought that's how you had to do it. Or does it only work if you are using Rockbox, I am using Mango v1.6.0

Hi Paul, sorry for late reply, been busy those last few days. I have embedded the cover art for all my music, but given this is problematic for only about 6 individual songs, I unembedded their cover art (only for the individual songs) then added the coverart.jpeg into the directory of their respective album which is overwriting all the songs but at least the problematic songs are now showing all tags + art. I hope this makes sense. I do agree with most people about simply using a directory jpeg instead of embedding but can't redo all my music now and do not like inconsistency

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #16,324 of 18,652
Hi guys, i'm eyeing this player since it fits my budget currently and i'm wondering if it could do these things:

1. serve as dac via otg on android phones?
2. connect to flash drives/external drives via otg?
3. has anybody tried using an iPhone 5/6 and use the camera connection kit and connect it to the DX50?

i'm curious how it connects on my android device and iphone so that i could also have better listening experience when listening via spotify, thanks in advance :)

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #16,325 of 18,652
  Hmmm... 1.5.0 isn`t so old FW and You maybe thinking that Your DX50 sounds same as when You bought it but brain has skill to "adjust" to sound changes. WM8740 DAC chip is said to be littlebit warmish sounding and "veiled", especially compared to higher grade ESS Sabre DAC chips. But seriously, those stock Jovial caps suck imho. I can`t understand why iBasso went that way for HO when they use Nichicon FW as LO caps (which are very good btw).

i think to cut the price?

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #16,327 of 18,652

Hmmm... 1.5.0 isn`t so old FW and You maybe thinking that Your DX50 sounds same as when You bought it but brain has skill to "adjust" to sound changes. WM8740 DAC chip is said to be littlebit warmish sounding and "veiled", especially compared to higher grade ESS Sabre DAC chips. But seriously, those stock Jovial caps suck imho. I can`t understand why iBasso went that way for HO when they use Nichicon FW as LO caps (which are very good btw).

i think to cut the price?

LOL, those Nichicon FW`s they could have used cost so little (4x 220uF 10V is around 3€). Not to mention if they had went with Vishay BC 038 RSU or Panasonic FC, even cheaper. Instead they decided to degrade sound quality. Who knows, maybe they did some stuff on DX50 with purpose to make the SQ gap between DX90 more noticeable and thus more justified price tags.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #16,328 of 18,652
Hi guys, i'm eyeing this player since it fits my budget currently and i'm wondering if it could do these things:

3. has anybody tried using an iPhone 5/6 and use the camera connection kit and connect it to the DX50?

i'm curious how it connects on my android device and iphone so that i could also have better listening experience when listening via spotify, thanks in advance :)

Yes.
Yes.
Not sure about the third.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #16,329 of 18,652

I have tried connecting my galaxy s5 to my dx50 via an otg cable and i had no luck getting it to work. Flash drives work fine when connected via an otg cable. Never tried the third one sorry.
What headphones do you plan to use?

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #16,330 of 18,652
I`m also not sure about 1st one. Maybe it need modified OTG cable and some specific android tweaking/fw to work but natively it should work as memory card reader/power/charge.
But if someone gets it to work on android smartphone as DAC, then please let us know how to do it.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #16,331 of 18,652

I have tried connecting my galaxy s5 to my dx50 via an otg cable and i had no luck getting it to work. Flash drives work fine when connected via an otg cable. Never tried the third one sorry.
What headphones do you plan to use?

thanks bro. i tried the DX50 and connected it on my xperia z ultra (lollipop) and it cant seem to work, i only have one OTG cable with me, so not sure if it is the cable...
Plan to use the DX50 on a TF10 and a sennheiser hd25 1-ii... I was  hoping it would work on an android phone to improve my spotify listening, and also to sort of "justify" having a separate dap when i already have an iPhone6+ and an android phone.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #16,332 of 18,652
  thanks bro. i tried the DX50 and connected it on my xperia z ultra (lollipop) and it cant seem to work, i only have one OTG cable with me, so not sure if it is the cable...
Plan to use the DX50 on a TF10 and a sennheiser hd25 1-ii... I was  hoping it would work on an android phone to improve my spotify listening, and also to sort of "justify" having a separate dap when i already have an iPhone6+ and an android phone.

Personally I think the audio quality from your iphone would be sufficient for those headphones especially for portable listening. Any improvements in sound would most likely be lost to ambient noise imo. Not to be nosey but do you carry two mobile phones around?

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #16,334 of 18,652
But why not just to use DX50? mSD cards are quite cheap. Or You need to answer calls or something?

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #16,335 of 18,652
I think I read it once in this thread, or some similar thread, that you can plug your headphones to the LO of the dx50? Is that correct??
What would be the benefits of doing so..?

I don't know whether its much of a benefit but I found that when i plugged sensitive iems into the HO there was a bit of hiss which annoyed me but when i plugged them into the LO there was pretty much nothing. I didn't notice any major differences in audio quality either, the HO may have sounded slightly more dynamic but i couldn't say for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back