The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #3,663 of 19,652
  I'm more of a 'put in pocket user' so I personally will use the side buttons on the go.

However, in a desktop situation, the scroll wheel control will of course be nice.

I'm with you.

My big discovery today is just how great the USB function is. Foobar + X5 + Flat4 Kaede is a lovely computer rig. The X5 manages to be a detail monster without being bright. It suits the Kaede really well. Actually the Kaede has never sounded better.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,664 of 19,652

I'm with you.

My big discovery today is just how great the USB function is. Foobar + X5 + Flat4 Kaede is a lovely computer rig. The X5 manages to be a detail monster without being bright. It suits the Kaede really well. Actually the Kaede has never sounded better.

While I like how multi function and usable the X5 is, I think I still like the sound of the C4 a lot more.

The C4 is predominantly a desktop DAP. The X5 can serve as a desktop DAP as well. But I find the C4's functions, and buttons to be much more friendly for its desktop purpose. 

Anyway, I'm very biased towards the CS4398 used in the C4 as I like that chip a lot. Let's see if the BurrBrown DAC in the X5 grows on me

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #3,665 of 19,652
^ Funnily, just a few days ago on a flight between Shanghai and Chaoyang the guy across the aisle from me had the C4. He couldn't believe it when I asked "That's the C4. right?" Nice guy and nice player.

I find the Cirus Logic sound to be most suitable for Classical music which I do not listen to much. I am mostly a rock/pop guy with forays into blues, jazz and bluegrass. The X5 has a thicker bolder sound, especially from the headphone out. The line out is a bit brighter and airier but it is still not a CS sound. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #3,666 of 19,652
Sorry for come back on the same issue again.

I have asked for the detail of the output rating of X5, and some helpful member pointed me to the right information already, Fiio website quoted the following:
  460 mW@16Ω 
  255 mW@32Ω
  28 mW@300Ω

We also know that there is a Gain Selection of 0/6db on both X3 and X5, so are these figures refer to Low Gain (0db) or High Gain (6db).  It looks like high gain to me, but I sure hope James can clarify.

I tried to look for hints from the X3 specification but they are more or less the same.

Alternatively, if we can have the Vrms figure of Low and High gain of the DAP, we can probably work out the output rating at different loading as well. 

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #3,667 of 19,652
I never saw an iPOD classic that had its' wheel rubber coating wear out with use. Why should it happen to the X5?

If you plan on shipping the X5 with decals for the wheel, they should be made out of vinyl and not paper such as decalgirl and styleflip.
Both of them make custom quality skins for headphones. I have some of them at home.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #3,669 of 19,652
If it's just rubber paint, would it be easy to buy some and reapply as needed?

You probably can. Will require some good masking though.

To my understanding, even when the rubber parts goes away, you can just replace it right? FiiO should sent some replacements to the distributors I believe.

Also James mentioned, adding one in the international release packages. That's a good idea too.

So nothing to worry? Release it and I will throw my money (good that you have a distributor in Belgium, I can basically buy from a local shop).

It isn't 'rubber parts', but a coat of paint on the wheel. You will likely need to take apart the X5, which doesn't have any visible screw and must be taken apart with force and probably will scratch it in the process, and replace the whole wheel together, which is probably glued to the PCB. It might sound a little depressing but all seriousness I doubt most if anyone will actually care that much when the rubber coating does deteriorate after a few years. Even so, reapplying a coat of rubber paint still makes better sense than taking the whole player apart, or just like James said, put some sticker / screen guard (similar to those sold for iPod scroll wheel) over it and call it a day.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #3,670 of 19,652

You probably can. Will require some good masking though.

It isn't 'rubber parts', but a coat of paint on the wheel. You will likely need to take apart the X5, which doesn't have any visible screw and must be taken apart with force and probably will scratch it in the process, and replace the whole wheel together, which is probably glued to the PCB. It might sound a little depressing but all seriousness I doubt most if anyone will actually care that much when the rubber coating does deteriorate after a few years. Even so, reapplying a coat of rubber paint still makes better sense than taking the whole player apart, or just like James said, put some sticker / screen guard (similar to those sold for iPod scroll wheel) over it and call it a day.

Too bad I can't experiment here, I have nasty scraping tools I used in the past, pretty sure if it is paint, it will go away, James look the other way while I scratch.
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of buying a gallon of driveway asphalt coating and apply a coat of it on the wheel but I think that is going to be too extreme and very sticky.
eek.gif

If it is paint, I think we should be given the paint manufacturing information so we can coat the wheel ourselves.
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #3,671 of 19,652
  I never saw an iPOD classic that had its' wheel rubber coating wear out with use. Why should it happen to the X5?

If you plan on shipping the X5 with decals for the wheel, they should be made out of vinyl and not paper such as decalgirl and styleflip.
Both of them make custom quality skins for headphones. I have some of them at home.

The iPod classic does not have rubber on the wheel, it's all plastic so no problem there and besides it does not move, your finger does all the motion. That is what's novel about the X5, it is a mechanical wheel.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3,674 of 19,652

Too bad I can't experiment here, I have nasty scraping tools I used in the past, pretty sure if it is paint, it will go away, James look the other way while I scratch.
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of buying a gallon of driveway asphalt coating and apply a coat of it on the wheel but I think that is going to be too extreme and very sticky.
eek.gif

If it is paint, I think we should be given the paint manufacturing information so we can coat the wheel ourselves.
beerchug.gif

What about covering the wheel with something like Zagg Invisible Shield? It's pretty resistant and your finger tips should stick well enough.
 I once bought a big one (Kindle I guess) on BestBuy for around $9 and now I just cut the dimensions needed to protect my gadgets.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #3,675 of 19,652

What about covering the wheel with something like Zagg Invisible Shield? It's pretty resistant and your finger tips should stick well enough.
 I once bought a big one (Kindle I guess) on BestBuy for around $9 and now I just cut the dimensions needed to protect my gadgets.

Isn't it going to be slippery on the shinny side though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back